android
Old 11-07-2011, 05:46 PM

Default Smartphone + mp3 player with good sound quality

Hello all,

I'm looking for a smartphone - something along the lines of a Samsung that has pretty good quality say like a Cowon iAudio.

Anyone know of any recommendations. I ma a total newbie when it comes to smartphones.

Cheers

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-07-2011, 09:06 PM

It depends upon what kind of budget you have with regards to the smartphone you can afford.

I got a free Samsung Galaxy S (not the current S II), and it plays music decently. Not the greatest, but it works.

But the next line up could cost you upwards of $500 without a plan from the service provider.

So, what kind of money are you looking at spending? What provider are you going to sign up with? If they have a list of phones to choose from, it would be easier to give you advice.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I also have a samsung galaxy S...the captivate from ATT. It is serviceable with a decent set of IEMs. I use it for 80% of my music listening.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:24 PM

I wouldn't use any android phone as an mp3 player seeing how battery life sucks on most android phones. don't get me wrong I love my android phone but i would rather just bring my clip+ with me as well to save on battery. once let my wallet on a bus in the middle of the night after using my phone for nothing but checking directions and listening to podcasts all day and only had about 5% left when it came to making the phone call to the credit card companies to cancel. ever since then i only use dedicated mp3 player and only charge my phone once every 2 days

Old 11-12-2011, 07:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Battery life can be an issue and has always been my biggest complaint. I plug mine in every time I am in my car and everytime I am at my desk at work, otherwise it would always be dead.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the advice. What about the new Samsung Galaxy S II? Is that any decent?

Old 11-27-2011, 12:42 PM

In my opinion the samsung galaxy s has awesome audio quality once you have installed voodoo sound.
You can then install rockbox for android.
I have owned an iphone 4, sony nwz 639f, and a teclast t51, mp3 players
the samsung galaxy s sounds better than all these, also audio output is very loud with voodoo sound.
The samsung galaxy s is using a wolfson dac for audio see this web site for more info.

http://project-voodoo.org/

Old 11-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Galaxy S II can't use the Voodoo kernel, as it's on-board DAC isn't compatible. If you'd read the post you'd have seen it was a different model being asked about.

Last edited by The DarkSide; 11-27-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
The Galaxy S II can't use the Voodoo kernel, as it's on-board DAC isn't compatible. If you'd read the post you'd have seen it was a different model being asked about.
I got the impression that he was talking about the original Galaxy S.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanza View Post
Thanks for the advice. What about the new Samsung Galaxy S II? Is that any decent?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelhall View Post
In my opinion the samsung galaxy s has awesome audio quality once you have installed voodoo sound.
You can then install rockbox for android.
I have owned an iphone 4, sony nwz 639f, and a teclast t51, mp3 players
the samsung galaxy s sounds better than all these, also audio output is very loud with voodoo sound.
The samsung galaxy s is using a wolfson dac for audio see this web site for more info.

http://project-voodoo.org/
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
I got the impression that he was talking about the original Galaxy S.
Stanza was asking about the SGS II, and nigelhall was referring to the question w/an answer about the SGS (different model, not compatible w/the Voodoo kernel).

Old 11-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Stanza was asking about the SGS II, and nigelhall was referring to the question w/an answer about the SGS (different model, not compatible w/the Voodoo kernel).
I was referring to Nigelhall's post where he talked about the Galaxy S, and he mentioned the Voodoo kernel, which is compatible with the Galaxy S. But, we'll let him clarify.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanza View Post
Sorry I know this is nearly a year old post but the Samsung Galaxy S II just got new 2012 revision a week ago from Virgin Mobile. It's the same model number, but with different specs. It has a different design, bigger screen, more memory (?), and runs on ICS.
As an audio player the Music Player has more features than what I expected on a phone. I don't know if the older version is the same, but here are 8 EQ presets plus an 8 band custom EQ, plus some effects (Normal, Wide, Concert, Music Clarity, Bass Enhancer, Externalization) processes available, in addition to a 5.1 Surround Effect.)
Basically all the features you get with their stand-alone MP3 players. And as far as Audio is concerned it over steps the iPhone.
I was kinda impressed with Custom EQ and Music Clarity option, which enhanced the highs, but also improved the sound stage.

Has anyone else heard this phone yet?

Old 11-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Bad View Post
Sorry I know this is nearly a year old post but the Samsung Galaxy S II just got new 2012 revision a week ago from Virgin Mobile. It's the same model number, but with different specs.
Do you mean the Galaxy SII 4G? Its a rebranded Epic 4G:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung...gin_Mobile_USA

Quote:
Has anyone else heard this phone yet?
FWIW, the 2011 Galaxy phone's didn't have the best audio quality, but they weren't terrible. Its probably passable, but it may have some bass roll off with low impedance headphones.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Do you mean the Galaxy SII 4G? Its a rebranded Epic 4G:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung...gin_Mobile_USA
Yes Samsung Galaxy S II 4G
I assumed the mention of GSII here was the older version with the big button at the bottom, so I was comparing to that one. I know about the Boost Mobile version, but I don't have it, so I didn't mention it. The Virgin Mobile version comes in different colors and it is running ISC, Boost Moble is running Ginger Bread.

When you say it didn't have "the best audio quality" which other phone are you comparing it to? And did the version you tried have those extra sound options? I didn't notice anything remarkable until I started testing them.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Yes Samsung Galaxy S II 4G
When you say it didn't have "the best audio quality" which other phone are you comparing it to? And did the version you tried have those extra sound options?
Mostly that they had relatively high output impedance + distortion compared to better phones like the Galaxy Nexus or iPhone as well as most dedicated players.

Quote:
I didn't notice anything remarkable until I started testing them.
If you're happy with it, then it doesn't really matter.