android
Old 10-30-2011, 08:30 AM

Default Need help fixing my NWZ-S639F

My Sony mp3 player (NWZ S639F 16gb, serial number 5113526)
got squashed at the bottom of my bag and since then it has been malfunctioning. It will appear to play a song but no sound will come out no matter what the volume setting is, and the headphones are not faulty. Then it refuses to move on to the next song and if you try to navigate elsewhere it either reverts back to the first song or switches itself off and on again.

I've reset it, reformatted it, uploaded music again but the same problem reoccurs - this time getting stuck on a different song, so it's not a corrupt mp3 file. I've made sure it has the most up to date firmware (version 1.11). What should I try next?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-30-2011, 10:36 AM

Default Need help fixing my NWZ-S639F

(I'm reposting this request as I got the wrong subforum first time around - sorry)

My Sony mp3 player (NWZ S639F 16gb, serial number 5113526) got squashed at the bottom of my bag and since then it has been malfunctioning. It will appear to play a song but no sound will come out no matter what the volume setting is, and the headphones are not faulty. Then it refuses to move on to the next song and if you try to navigate elsewhere it either reverts back to the first song or switches itself off and on again.

I've reset it, reformatted it, uploaded music again but the same problem reoccurs - this time getting stuck on a different song, so it's not a corrupt mp3 file. I've made sure it has the most up to date firmware (version 1.11). What should I try next?

Last edited by katem; 10-30-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:54 AM

Really squashed?

Could be broken solder connections or circuit traces from the pressure. I do find it interesting however that it can be reset, reformatted and music uploaded. Is it possible to run a chkdsk on the flash storage? Perhaps an error will be found.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:54 PM

No physical damage to the outside but I think one of the buttons must have got rammed by the corner of a book or something. It's possible that something's got physically damaged, but I find it weird that it's still attempting to work.

Was thinking of taking apart the casing but the screws don't want to budge, even with a tiny screwdriver, and I thought I'd explore other options first. I'll see if chkdsk throws up anything helpful.

Thanks

Old 11-24-2012, 10:49 AM

hi Katem,

My S639 has the same problem, no sound, but has had no damage.

Did you manage to sort yours out?

Thanks