android
Old 11-20-2011, 01:45 PM

I went from the J3 to the X7 - Here's my initial impressions

The X7 is bulky, but since I use it at my desk, that's a non-issue to me. It IS a lot bigger than the J3 tho:

The sound is the same as the J3: Brilliant. The user interface is different than the J3 and is has a few bugs: The X7 doesn't remember if you had shuffle enabled or not. It turns off shuffle every time you turn off the player. Quite an annoyance for me, as I prefer not to know what comes next. Gapless playback is not supported either, which gets kinda annoying. Not a big thing for me, but still an annoyance. Embedded artwork won't work on the X7, but I keep my covers as folder.jpg in the folder anyways.

On a positive note: Running firmware 2.08 I have the option to assign the volume keys to next/prev when the screen is off and the "M" key as play/pause. Great stuff, as the lack of physical buttons was one of my biggest concerns when making the switch.

I love the capacity (I went for the 160gb) and I generally like the interface, but those little bugs just annoy me. The J3 shows how well Cowon can do, why won't they do that consistently? I'll hold on to the X7 until they come up with a 160gb J3...

Oh, I dumped 130gb of FLAC on my X7 in one go (FW 2.08, Ubuntu 10.04) and not a singe problem yet.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post
I went from the J3 to the X7 - Here's my initial impressions

The X7 is bulky, but since I use it at my desk, that's a non-issue to me. It IS a lot bigger than the J3 tho:

The sound is the same as the J3: Brilliant. The user interface is different than the J3 and is has a few bugs: The X7 doesn't remember if you had shuffle enabled or not. It turns off shuffle every time you turn off the player. Quite an annoyance for me, as I prefer not to know what comes next. Gapless playback is not supported either, which gets kinda annoying. Not a big thing for me, but still an annoyance. Embedded artwork won't work on the X7, but I keep my covers as folder.jpg in the folder anyways.

On a positive note: Running firmware 2.08 I have the option to assign the volume keys to next/prev when the screen is off and the "M" key as play/pause. Great stuff, as the lack of physical buttons was one of my biggest concerns when making the switch.

I love the capacity (I went for the 160gb) and I generally like the interface, but those little bugs just annoy me. The J3 shows how well Cowon can do, why won't they do that consistently? I'll hold on to the X7 until they come up with a 160gb J3...

Oh, I dumped 130gb of FLAC on my X7 in one go (FW 2.08, Ubuntu 10.04) and not a singe problem yet.
First off, I am happy you're enjoying your X7 the way I am but the part of your quote I highlighted in bold is incorrect. For me, gapless playback for MP3 files is working flawlessly, almost as seamless as my iPod TOuch. And as for embedded album art, 99 percent of my MP3 files are using embedded album art with absolutely no issues. I find the trick is first embed the album art on your computer first. Then, whatever music needs the artwork on your player, first delete it, disconnect your player, then reconnect it. Lastly, of course, copy the music with the corrected artwork. That should do it.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
First off, I am happy you're enjoying your X7 the way I am but the part of your quote I highlighted in bold is incorrect. For me, gapless playback for MP3 files is working flawlessly, almost as seamless as my iPod TOuch. And as for embedded album art, 99 percent of my MP3 files are using embedded album art with absolutely no issues. I find the trick is first embed the album art on your computer first. Then, whatever music needs the artwork on your player, first delete it, disconnect your player, then reconnect it. Lastly, of course, copy the music with the corrected artwork. That should do it.
I'm running purely flac on mine and it seems to bug the X7 a bit, no gapless for me, but... I just loaded Kizune's "Sense" UCI and now theres perfectly gapless playback!

Old 11-21-2011, 07:38 AM

Does the X7 suffer from the same problem as the X5 with the Cowon software being limited to only recognising up to (but no more than) 9999 files?

I'm looking to get a 160gig X7, upgrading from an X5 (which has just given up the ghost after six years of faithful, almost daily, service) and this was always a problem with the X5 that, as far as I know, was never solved with Cowon firmware updates. Fortunately it wasn't a problem with RockBox (which I flashed the X5 over to), but with no RockBox for the X7 at the moment, I'm concerned that I won't be able to access a big chunk of stuff I'll be putting on it...

Old 11-22-2011, 02:30 AM

No idea - I only keep around 4500 files on mine

Old 12-01-2011, 11:02 PM

My X7, which I have only used a few times since I bought it new in August, has been stuck on "Updating Database" for almost 3 days now (can't turn it off, so the battery eventually died, so I plugged it in and recharged it, to find it stuck in the same mode). No amount of button pushing or holding will fix it, and my computer (a PC, not a Mac) cannot recognize it. Frustrating. At least it's still under warranty.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Mimouille: 2) and 3) - best to try a better tagging app than Jetaudio, for example MP3Tag or Tag&Rename.

Is this still the best tagging app to use with the X seven ?

Old 11-20-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppergomez View Post
My X7, which I have only used a few times since I bought it new in August, has been stuck on "Updating Database" for almost 3 days now (can't turn it off, so the battery eventually died, so I plugged it in and recharged it, to find it stuck in the same mode). No amount of button pushing or holding will fix it, and my computer (a PC, not a Mac) cannot recognize it. Frustrating. At least it's still under warranty.
Have you pressed the reset button? Most likely that will sort out the problem. The reset hole is inside the flap at the bottom of the player.