android
Old 11-19-2012, 07:50 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Default Got the Nexus 10

Finally got one of these to play with. Its a really impressive device, even compared to the Nexus 7. Some thoughts:

The new 'better then retina' display is absolutely amazing. Everything looks incredible. After using it for a couple hours and then trying to look at a normal monitor my eyes feel like they're burning. Regular PC text just looks so awful in comparison. I seriously do not want to go back. I think for reading and books, this is going to be about as good as displays are going to get.

The feel is pretty good. I like the texture, and the weight is about right. Its really thin.

Theres stereo speakeres. I don't know why more tablets don't do this, but its much nicer for movies than the N7 because the audio has some dimension to it. Even ignoring the display, I strongly prefer it for movies/TV over the N7.

UI performance is amazing. 4.2+the new Cortex A15 series feels great. The flash controller is a LOT faster than any other Android device I've used. Apps launch way faster than the N7 and the UI doesn't flinch if you have file transfers or downloads going while using it. This really annoyed me on the N7. As soon as you started writing to the flash, UI performance just died due to the crappy flash controller.

Battery life seems a little worse than the N7, but I haven't run it down yet. I guess moving towards a desktop class processor means you get a little closer to laptop battery life than lower power A9s.

Overall, I'd say if you want a 10" tablet, this is the device to get. Only argument I can see for the iPad is the better selection of games and (I suspect a least) a little better battery life. If you consider 7" devices, I'm not sure. I like the size of the N7 a lot. The N10 feels large and I dislike not being able to shove it in my back pocket while walking.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-19-2012, 10:23 AM

Nice, Congrats! I hope one of my local stores will display it so I can see it in person. I pretty sure the sorter battery life is due to powering that insanely high resolution and not the cortex A-15 processor. Samsung claims that it uses 30% less energy than the dual core cortex A9 processor in a Galaxy S II with a smaller 32 nm die size and all.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:50 AM

I'm going to hold off until after the holidays, as I just got a Nexus 7 when they added the 32GB version.

That screen resolution is amazing. How do non-tablet optimized apps scale?

Old 11-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
That screen resolution is amazing. How do non-tablet optimized apps scale?
They'll look the same as on the Nexus 7.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:22 PM

Thanks.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:46 PM

How many apps are there that are actually designed for tablets and not smartphones? Just want to know in case I consider picking up a new tablet in the future.

Tags
android, jelly bean, nexus 10, nexus 7, tablet