android
Old 07-29-2012, 02:41 PM

Default Yet another clip repair job - ACCO Klix

I epoxied an ACCO Klix to the back of my clip+. Works great. Barbed so it attaches to clothing without slipping, though it may damage delicates if yanked off. I just hope that the metal doesn't fatigue quickly from all the clicking. $4 for 10 at Staples. I have 9 left over. I also have 4 Tek Tabs in black I don't want. I'll sell either of them for $1 each including postage (US only). If you want one msg me.

When you glue the Klix to the player, make sure it's in the open/popped-up position so you don't accidentally glue it closed.

ACCO KLIX Classic Metal Paper Fasteners, 30 Sheet Capacity

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Fasten...ords=acco+klix

11/08/2012
just a quick update. this klix is working better than expected. it takes getting use to clicking it in tight spaces but it's pretty simple once you get the hang of it. i'd even go so far as to say it's better than the original plastic clip that comes on the player as long as it doesn't break. it clips to things that the original clip didn't have the strength to hold on to. it's the metal clip you've always wanted.

05/21/2013
still going strong on the same klix. it popped off twice so i had to use some rough sand paper to scuff up the back of the player to ensure a nice strong epoxy bond.

Last edited by zP0kE; 05-21-2013 at 02:05 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-30-2012, 12:20 PM

Thumbs up

Appears to be the cleanest, most elegant looking prosthetic clip job to date.

PS I suspect the barb could be flattened or ground off to protect fabrics while still providing adequate grip.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, that is pretty sweet -- Well done! It's too bad they don't come in black, although the silver version is an adequate neutral option, I suppose.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zP0kE View Post
I also have 4 Tek Tabs in black I don't want. I'll sell either of them for $1 each including postage (US only). If you want one msg me.
Or, through today, get a box of Tek Tabs (4 to a box, plus lanyard and 4 plastic carabiner clips) free after rebate (with free shipping), paying just the tax (if applicable) and a stamp to mail the rebate forms in.

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69713

Old 09-16-2012, 02:05 AM

I got tired of not having a clip on my Clip +, so I did this mod. Works great! No it is not as good as the original, however the original broke. I'm glad I came back and looked at zPOkE's pixs cause I could not figure out how to open it up, which sucked. I have a blue + and a blue ACCO Klix. Thanks zPOkE!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:29 PM

Can you guys tell me specifically which glue you used? And, would the clip hold a Fuze (not +)?
Thank you!
S

Old 11-05-2012, 10:43 PM

You need to use a good grade Epoxy. Rough up both surfaces with around 220 grit sandpaper, then clean both surfaces with a solvent to remove any dust and oils from your hands. Use masking tape(I like the blue stuff) to protect the surface of your device(I covered everything except the Klix contact area). Follow mixing instructions from your two part Epoxy. The hard part is waiting 24 hours for the Epoxy to cure. I believe the ACCO Klix will work on your Fuze as long as you get a good clean bond using above tips. The clip holding ability is just slightly less than the original clip, that said, I can clip my C+ upside down to my shorts pant leg and it will hold while walking around the house. So far I,m very happy with the Klix, I use it every day. I do believe some day the metal will fatigue from the clicking action and when it does you guys will be the first to know.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:08 PM

Thank you!
S

Old 11-08-2012, 02:15 PM

This is certainly cheaper and more attractive than what I am using...sort of I bought a boat load of these clips for $1 a piece. See Below for link. The adhesive is really good on the clip. My Sony NWZ-S639F has had one for about three years and still going strong.

http://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-eCLIP...ef=pd_cp_cps_0

Old 11-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
This is certainly cheaper and more attractive than what I am using...sort of I bought a boat load of these clips for $1 a piece. See Below for link. The adhesive is really good on the clip. My Sony NWZ-S639F has had one for about three years and still going strong.
Think your solution looks nice!

Old 11-10-2012, 10:25 PM

I used a name tag magnet like this one. http://www.magnetsource.com/Solution...s/nametag.html It comes with a metal strip with a good double stick tape on one side. It worked great up until it took a trip in the washer..... and such was the fate of Clip number 4.
Zune 30GB (white-unfortunately)
Sennheiser CX300 and CXL400 lanyard headphones

Old 11-10-2012, 11:21 PM

Big Sky, Nice clip. Can you elaborate a little how it works.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbatt View Post
I used a name tag magnet like this one. http://www.magnetsource.com/Solution...s/nametag.html It comes with a metal strip with a good double stick tape on one side. It worked great up until it took a trip in the washer..... and such was the fate of Clip number 4.
Nice idea, that!

Old 11-11-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbatt View Post
I can't help but wonder if having strong magnets like that next to the clip's innards can damage them? Anybody know if flash memory is susceptible to damage from magnets. It seems like it would be risky to me, but who knows?

Old 11-12-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodude View Post
Big Sky, Nice clip. Can you elaborate a little how it works.
Here is my earlier assessment of the Nit-Ize which might answer your question.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:46 PM

Pennhaven, thanks for the link, after looking at your post I remembered reading it some time ago.

In my opinion once the original clip on the C+ breaks, the mounting posts servers no useful purpose so removing it is not an issue. The “ridge that forms the original clip-gripper” may or may not be useful depending on the replacement clip and/or its position.

In regards to the SO-LED clip (from your pictures), it looks like you could drill out the rivet and have a smooth surface to attach to the C+. 

I also like the NITE IZE clip (from your pictures), it looks like there may be a small gap between the clip and the base. How well does it hold on to fabric? It looks a little long but the base could be cut off just past the clip to allow more room for the mic hole.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodude View Post
Pennhaven, thanks for the link, after looking at your post I remembered reading it some time ago.

In my opinion once the original clip on the C+ breaks, the mounting posts servers no useful purpose so removing it is not an issue. The “ridge that forms the original clip-gripper” may or may not be useful depending on the replacement clip and/or its position.
True enough, unless you want to use the mounting posts for a removable badge clip like I did.

Quote:
In regards to the SO-LED clip (from your pictures), it looks like you could drill out the rivet and have a smooth surface to attach to the C+. 
Probably could, but would lose the ability to rotate the clip. And the spring tension would still be way higher than I think you would want for this application. You might find that pressing on clip would break it loose or, if mounted very securely, possibly even break the housing of the Clip+.

Quote:
I also like the NITE IZE clip (from your pictures), it looks like there may be a small gap between the clip and the base. How well does it hold on to fabric? It looks a little long but the base could be cut off just past the clip to allow more room for the mic hole.
I've never used it so can not say how well it would hold.

You're correct, it does look as though the end of the base could be trimmed back and still allow it to grip. That could solve the mic hole clearance. The main body of the Nite-Ize clip would then extend beyond the Clip+ housing, which might look a little sloppy, but I don't think it would hurt the function.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:58 PM

Good guide! However any idea how one could replace the screen on it?

Old 12-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Administrator

The only known way to replace the screen on a Clip is to buy another one. No one has ever found a 3rd party source for parts and sandisk doesn't sell replacement parts.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The only known way to replace the screen on a Clip is to buy another one. No one has ever found a 3rd party source for parts and sandisk doesn't sell replacement parts.
I suppose Sandisk won't give me another one under warranty? I walked on a doorhandle with my Clip fastened on my belt.