android
Old 11-16-2012, 03:45 PM

Default Mp3 player compatible with headphones

Hello everyone.
I registered here cause i want to buy mp3 player for my husband and i need advice. Couple of days ago he got for himself headphones Sennheiser hd 598, but he listen his music mostly on netbook. So, since I am antielectronic person and have no idea about this things, can you please suggest some mp3 players that works well with this headphones? Price limit is 250$, and he is kind of old school person, his priority would be good sound at first place and lots of space. Wifi and other aplications are wishable, but not neccesary. I will apreciate every help about this..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Pretty much any modern MP3 player will be fine.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

the sony players are nice, the cowon j3 if you can still find it. a clip zip with a big SD card in there. but the galaxy player 5 is one of my favorites to get bells and whistles with good storage.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:45 PM

First, thanks for your time. Second, few more things. I need one that suports Rockbox. I see people mention Creative, iRiver, Archos, Samsung, but for me that is like science fiction. Can you please just tell me which one is lider on this market? And the newest Ipod classic that suport Rockbox?

Old 11-17-2012, 01:00 AM

Apple is the leader on the market. The latest iPod Classic is supported by Rockbox, but not dual booting; the installation procedure is manual, the installer application doesn't support that model yet; and USB transfers can sometimes make Rockbox crash or freeze (nothing that a forced reboot doesn't solve, but it is annoying).

Aside from that, Rockbox works very well on my iPod Classic. I like the player a lot. It's a real looker. It's kinda old school, very convenient to use, and has lots of storage. It also has a very clean output, perfectly neutral (like any other decent DAP). And, it sells for $249 on Apple's store.

All in all, it should meet most of your criteria. Otherwise, you might want to check out the list of models supported by Rockbox and concentrate on those that have microsdhc card slots, for additional storage.

Last edited by skamp; 11-17-2012 at 01:06 AM.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Search for an iPod video 5.5G, it'll be most likely used or a refurb. Then install Rockbox & enjoy. The cost should be around $100.

I'm listening to mine right now,...

Old 11-17-2012, 01:17 PM

Thank you for your answers. I am quite sure, after reading your forum and talking to other people, I will chose some Cowon mp3. Everybody say they are the best for sound, and that is the most important to my husband. I just have to pick one

Old 11-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Then why ask about Rockbox? And a Cowon isn't the best sounding player, but it does have excellent EQ and sound enhancements. My iPods, Cowon, Sansa, Sony, older Creative, and other players all sound fantastic. Buy a player based on what features a person desires. A "QUALITY" player will sound fantastic,...and this includes Samsung as well.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:52 PM

I am so confused right now. I red a lot of people saying that Ipod ( which was my first choice before coming here) is far behind Cowon when it comes to sound quality. And i havent red any bad thing about Cowons sound. And that is TOP PRIORITY when choosing player for my husband. So i will sacrifice Rockbox, if he will get perfect sound. All other features are not so important, like video quality, or apps or whatever. If he has them, good, if not, is still good as long as he can enjoy music. The only thing that he would care is to have some buttons, not to be only touchscreen.
I am really so confused what to choose that i have only too options, or to ask him what he wants (no surprise then), or just to quit with searching..

Old 11-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

sound quality is different than sound customization. basically good sound quality is the ability to produce the source material at reasonable volumes without distortion. A lot of players have good sound quality these days, including just about any generation ipod. For some reason 3rd gen touch has a bad rep with some people but I am not sure it is warranted. Never had one so can't speak on it first hand.

Sound customization is the ability to alter the sound characteristics (bass, treble, etc, etc) without introducing distortion. A few players (sony, rockboxed clip) do this well, and even fewer do it superbly. The Cowon J3 does it superbly. In my opinion the Samsung Galaxy player does it superbly with the purchase of an app or two like Power Amp. I had a J3 and loved it but had to sell it a while back. I bought a galaxy phone (first gen) and now have a Galaxy S3 phone and love both of them. I kept the SG1 just to use as a backup media player.

Also, there are ipod haters out there that say the ipod is trash. Thats not true. Its just overpriced, have somewhat restrictive OS, and the software is cumbersome. Most people here are just attempting to educate people on alternatives so that you are an educated consumer. There are plenty of ipod owners on this forum. A large number of the major contributors do actually. I have one for my daughter and if those chiclet style nanos had bluetooth I would own one of them too.

Hopefully that addresses some of the points of confusion. The other thing...there is no "one player to rule them all". You will not ever get a consensus agreement. That pretty much applies to any topic on the internet though, really.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just look for a player that has features that he will like,...that's all. Looking for the PERFECT player will do nothing but make you go crazy, and you'll never look for the right things.

Me, I'm actually eyeing the new iPod touch 5G. It's got excellent SQ, the battery life is very good, it has a volume control on the side & will work with in-line controls, it CAN use apps that allow usage of a CUSTOM EQ and RIVALS the SQ of any Cowon, Sony, or ROCKBOXED player.

If you want no apps at all get a Cowon C2 or i10. The SQ is excellent, the battery life top notch, the EQ and sound enhancements are wonderful, and the C2 has a microSD card slot.

Then there's Sony. They have excellent SQ, great battery life, are quite portable (most are decently small), and have tactile controls. They max @16GB tho,...except the newer Android players - they go to 32GB.

Then there's the Samsung players. They all tend to be Android nowadays,...except if you take a quick trip to a Toys'R'Us and find one on clearance. Those are well worth the effort. The capacity is low, but the SQ is excellent.

Then you have a Sansa clip+ or clipzip. I'm not going to go into detail, but they are excellent, are expandable (microSD card slot), and easily Rockboxed. The Sansa fuze as well (NOT the fuze+, it's GARBAGE!!!) if you search for it (Google, or just look on Amazon). Plus all 3 can use a 64GB micro SDXC card when Rockboxed,...

I might has missed some stuff, but at least you see you need to decide more on features - not SQ.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:21 AM

Please tell me that which company's headphone best suited to used with the Ipod/Iphone?

Old 12-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by !#john View Post
Please tell me that which company's headphone best suited to used with the Ipod/Iphone?
Any company you like.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:28 AM

Zing!!

Best answer of the day TDS! Made me chuckle!

Headphones:Philips SHS5200, Phillips SHQ1000/28, Sentry FatBoy HO865, Motorola S305 BT,