android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3

Old 05-22-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves007 View Post
can I confirm the following "rules":

1) You can use a 64gb SD card as long as you don't have more than 8,000 files on it
Correct.

This is a J3 firmware limit, no matter how large internal and external storage each are capacity-wise.

Quote:
2) You can get up to ~96gb (32gb on the player + 64gb) as long as you only have 8,000 files on the player and 8,000 on the SD card

Hence, under either of these circumstances, you can consider the expanded player maxed out(?):

You put 8,000 files of 1mb on the player and 8,000 1mb files on the SD card (16gb used in total); or

You put 8,000 files of 4mb on the player and 8,000 8mb files on the SD card (96gb used in total)
Correct.

So it's still 8000 music files and 4000 "other files" on internal storage, and the same 8000+4000 limit on external storage (even the 64GB external storage). That's a total of 16,000 music files with no more than 8,000 each on internal and external.

I suspect that you can still probably store more than that number of files and then get to all of it using the "physical browse" method (i.e. Library -> [Folders], which is like Windows Explorer). But using "logical browse" and the finite sized tags database itself (e.g. for artists, albums, years, genres, and song titles) the firmware/database limits of 8000 on both internal and external apply.

Quote:
In which case, I suppose the best strategy is to make sure that movies, 1-hour long DJ mixes etc etc go on the SD card and the smaller files go on the player?
If your collection is so large that the 8000 file limit on either internal or external storage truly is an issue then I suppose you'll have to figure out how best to divide things to stay within the 8000 maximum for music files on each.

But then that's why the "logical browse" using the "tags database" is advantageous, because it doesn't really matter where the music files are... they will still be discovered, analyzed, and accessed correctly, even if you suddenly have to move a big block from internal to external or vice versa.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-22-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Correct.

I suspect that you can still probably store more than that number of files and then get to all of it using the "physical browse" method (i.e. Library -> [Folders], which is like Windows Explorer). But using "logical browse" and the finite sized tags database itself (e.g. for artists, albums, years, genres, and song titles) the firmware/database limits of 8000 on both internal and external apply.

But then that's why the "logical browse" using the "tags database" is advantageous, because it doesn't really matter where the music files are... they will still be discovered, analyzed, and accessed correctly, even if you suddenly have to move a big block from internal to external or vice versa.
Blimey, you're quick! :]

Actually, I only use logical browse (does that make me weird?)

I just setup the folder system as I like it on my laptop harddrive then don't have to worry about ID tags and all that, I just go to the files as if I was using explorer in Windows, it's one of the best features for me.

OK, I am going to dump 50gb of files on the 64gb MicroSD and see what happens!

Old 06-15-2012, 02:43 AM

Well, the upshot was I loaded as much stuff as I could on and all good. Have got up to 35gig but it only took 2500 files.

Conclusion, the limitation shouldn't be a problem.

Could it be solved in a firmware update or is this not a Cowon thing and a FAT thing?

Old 07-06-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Correct.

No, the file limit kicks in even for the [Folders] file browser, it really sucks. I hate the cowon designer that set this limit, I really do.

I've been using my J3/32GB with a 64GB card for a while.

I have around 5340 ogg songs in the internal storage, no problem with any of those.

I tried up to 8514 oggs in the external storage. A total of 13854 song files in the j3.

The "Music" counter got stuck at "13342 files". Meaning that the J3 is reading only 8002 files from the external card, no matter how many more I add.

I have my music organized in folders, on folder per album. Using the file browser, if I enter the folder of an album that the j3 didn't "read" (ie missing in the "library"), it shows no songs, but weirdly enough it shows the "cover.jpg" art file.

So the "file browser" is clearly not a real file browser, it is navigating the library. it totally, totally sucks.

Before I am asked: my j3 takes about 1.5 minutes to "scan" all 13k files after a cold turn on. This is another design aspect that sucks, but I could live with it.

If anyone knows how to get around the file limit in the j3, please post it...

If you are a cowon UI/library designer/developer, you know you suck. If you are a cowon development manager, please hire one of the rockbox guys asap

Last edited by ariel; 07-07-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel View Post
No, the file limit kicks in even for the [Folders] file browser, it really sucks. I hate the cowon designer that set this limit, I really do.

I've been using my J3/32GB with a 64GB card for a while.

I have around 5340 ogg songs in the internal storage, no problem with any of those.

I tried up to 8514 oggs in the external storage. A total of 13854 song files in the j3.

The "Music" counter got stuck at "13342 files". Meaning that the J3 is reading only 8002 files from the external card, no matter how many more I add.

I have my music organized in folders, on folder per album. Using the file browser, if I enter the folder of an album that the j3 didn't "read" (ie missing in the "library"), it shows no songs, but weirdly enough it shows the "cover.jpg" art file.

So the "file browser" is clearly not a real file browser, it is navigating the library. it totally, totally sucks.

Before I am asked: my j3 takes about 1.5 minutes to "scan" all 13k files after a cold turn on. This is another design aspect that sucks, but I could live with it.

If anyone knows how to get around the file limit in the j3, please post it...

If you are a cowon UI/library designer/developer, you know you suck. If you are a cowon development manager, please hire one of the rockbox guys asap

They we're probably given a number to hit, not thinking about scale (128gb microsd cards anyone). It's a common mistake.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:20 PM

You should switch to Linux Mint. You would have none of those problems with formating.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:55 AM

It's great to know that J3 can handle up to 64Gb card, since I couldn't find any 32Gb J3 in my town.
But I see that you should take your card out of J3 so, you're able fill it, which brings me to the question: how is scrobbling proccessed on J3? Will I be able to scrobble tracks correctly with 64 gig card, since working with this big card is quite different?
Thanks in advance.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:28 PM

So 64 gb external card is the max for the J3 32 gb and no way to get around that?
How about the cowon X9 32 gb? Same?
My cowon s9 recently ran out of capacity and it is pretty beat up, so I was thinking about getting a new cowon with high capacity. I feel like since as of now there is no way to get around the x9 and J3 memory limit and never will be, it would be a waste to buy one right now since I will probably get passed the limit.
OR do you think it is possible to get around the memory limit?
If not should I buy the next best thing to cowon with more memory capacity or if nothing can match cowon quality am I BETTER OFF WAITING FOR COWON TO RELEASE UPGRADED PLAYER WITH MORE MEMORY CAPACITY?

Old 10-25-2012, 11:03 AM

If anyone keeps running into problems formating a card bigger than 32 gb into fat32 with onboard tools (swissknife seems not to be free anymore), try using EASEUS Partition Master. It's free an it is doing an excellent job formating almost everything.

Cheers

Old 11-08-2012, 10:44 PM

So is this good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-64GB...item5894d5c877

Anyone see one for cheaper?

So I guess the j3 has the capacity to hold little bit more than a total of 64 gb TOTAL with a 64 GB card +32 gb j3? But no matter what 8,000 is the limit of songs? But there is a way to get around by reformatting to FAT32?
Kinda confused still

Old 11-08-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ako View Post
So is this good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-64GB...item5894d5c877

Anyone see one for cheaper?
That's a Class 6 card for $62. Here is a Class 10 card for $68. And it also comes with a USB card reader.

But for the J3 and playing music, these speeds are unnecessary. Of course it doesn't hurt, if the price is right anyway.

Quote:
So I guess the j3 has the capacity to hold little bit more than a total of 64 gb TOTAL with a 64 GB card +32 gb j3?
I don't understand your point? 96GB is 50% larger than 64GB, so I wouldn't call that "little bit more".

Quote:
But no matter what 8,000 is the limit of songs?
The limit is 8000 songs on internal storage, and another 8000 songs on external storage.

Quote:
But there is a way to get around by reformatting to FAT32?
No. The firmware of the J3 demands FAT32.

Also, don't forget that you CANNOT FORMAT OR WRITE to that 64GB card while it's inserted in the J3. You absolutely MUST use an external USB card reader to do both FORMAT the 64GB card to FAT32 (e.g. using GuiFormat) and also to do the WRITE (from your PC music collection to the 64GB card).

Once the card has been loaded or maintained using the external card reader, you can (a) "safely remove hardware", (b) remove the USB card reader from the PC, (c) remove the 64GB card from the reader, (d) insert the 64GB card into the J3, and then (e) boot the J3.

The J3 doesn't have a problem reading the 64GB FAT32 card. It only has a problem writing to that 64GB card through the J3 while connected to Windows. If you stick with the USB card reader for all output functions of any kind to the 64GB card, you will have zero problems.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:00 AM

ok. So there is no point of spending $7 extra for class 10 sd card to use for the J3??

Old 11-14-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ako View Post
ok. So there is no point of spending $7 extra for class 10 sd card to use for the J3??
That would certainly be my feeling... at least for the card itself as far as playback.

But that item I linked to also included a card reader, so if you needed one they usually go for $5-10 anyway, so why not get a Class 10 card as part of the bargain?

The Class 10 card will certainly WRITE a tad faster than a Class 6 card, when you're writing to it to maintain music on it. A trivial difference, to be sure, in the scheme of things.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:41 PM

Default Max micro SD memory for J3 with 8 GB internal memory ?

Only 32 GB for this kind of card or also 64 GB ?

Old 03-12-2013, 02:23 PM

Success with 64GB microSDHC. Thought I'd add my $0.02. Being afraid to reformat 64BD SDXC to fat32, I found a no-brand name 64GB microSDHC card for $39 on Ebay. Loaded it as is in Cowon J3. Cowon didn't see it. Inserted into card reader on Win7 64bit PC. Saw it as 500 MB SC card. Fortunately I have Easeus partition master, so I fired it up and wiped out the card and formated as Fat32. No problems & fast. Copied a few flac files to it and reinserted it into J3. J3 sees & plays the files perfectly! When J3 is connected to Win7 PC via usb, card is not seen. Will try with Ubuntu virtual machine tonight just for kicks.

As stated before, you cannot move files to or from the card when it is in the J3 and connected to PC via usb (card shows 0 GB size). Took the card back out and reinserted into PC and moved many, many folders with flacs to the card. (took several hours). Loaded the card back into the J3 and about 1/2 the folders are empty. WTF? It may be the card is flaky (again no-name, looks like Chinese quality). Will retry moving over large number of files, but I can confirm that a 64GB microSDHC can can be read by Cowon J3, but formatting as Fat32 and copying files to and from the card must happen in the PC.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynrobbie View Post
Success with 64GB microSDHC. Thought I'd add my $0.02. Being afraid to reformat 64BD SDXC to fat32, I found a no-brand name 64GB microSDHC card for $39 on Ebay. Loaded it as is in Cowon J3. Cowon didn't see it. Inserted into card reader on Win7 64bit PC. Saw it as 500 MB SC card. Fortunately I have Easeus partition master, so I fired it up and wiped out the card and formated as Fat32. No problems & fast. Copied a few flac files to it and reinserted it into J3. J3 sees & plays the files perfectly! When J3 is connected to Win7 PC via usb, card is not seen. Will try with Ubuntu virtual machine tonight just for kicks.

As stated before, you cannot move files to or from the card when it is in the J3 and connected to PC via usb (card shows 0 GB size). Took the card back out and reinserted into PC and moved many, many folders with flacs to the card. (took several hours). Loaded the card back into the J3 and about 1/2 the folders are empty. WTF? It may be the card is flaky (again no-name, looks like Chinese quality). Will retry moving over large number of files, but I can confirm that a 64GB microSDHC can can be read by Cowon J3, but formatting as Fat32 and copying files to and from the card must happen in the PC.

check your file count in the card. Any file above the 8000 mark will just not appear listed even in the "folder navigation" mode of the J3. I.e. the folder navigation mode in the J3 is fully made up and actually uses the database, which really stinks from a design perspective.

Hopefully cowon will learn something from this mistake. Here I am eagerly wating for the J4 with no more silly file limits so I can just copy my whole collection to a 128GB card and stop having to juggle with the file counts.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel View Post
Hopefully cowon will learn something from this mistake.

Here I am eagerly wating for the J4 with no more silly file limits so I can just copy my whole collection to a 128GB card and stop having to juggle with the file counts.

Hah!

I hope you're not holding your breath on either of those things.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Success with 64GB microSDHC. Thought I'd add my $0.02. Being afraid to reformat 64BD SDXC to fat32, I found a no-brand name 64GB microSDHC card for $39 on Ebay. Loaded it as is in Cowon J3. Cowon didn't see it. Inserted into card reader on Win7 64bit PC. Saw it as 500 MB SC card. Fortunately I have Easeus partition master, so I fired it up and wiped out the card and formated as Fat32

As stated before, you cannot move files to or from the card when it is in the J3 and connected to PC via usb (card shows 0 GB size). Took the card back out and reinserted into PC and moved many, many folders with flacs to the card. (took several hours). Loaded the card back into the J3 and about 1/2 the folders are empty. WTF?
You should always verify that you have a non-fake non-counterfeit genuine 64GB (or whatever) size card, by running H2TestW.

It's a one-time process, but is certainly justified especially when finding a "real bargain price" for these cards. No reason to waste time trying to figure out what's going on when you have mysterious symptoms, if you actually bought a 4GB card when you thought you bought a 64GB card.

Also, it's recommended that only GUIFormat or SD Format utility be used to format these cards to FAT32. These are universally acknowledged to be 100% reliable and successful. Again, it's a one-time task. If you say Windows FORMAT worked for you, I'd still be cautiously pessimistic, because FAT32 on very large drives via FORMAT is just something not normally done.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:04 PM

Good point. I will test with H2TestW. I did not say that Windows format worked. In fact it didn't. I used EaseUs Disk Partition to format it. It shows 64GB, but may be fake or defective because files copied to it tend to "disappear" after turning off PC and turning it back on again. In any case I'll probably go with a 32GB card just to avoid the hassle of trying to grip that small sucker between my fingernails every time I have to remove it.

I also have a 160GB X7 that I love--despite the sluggish screen and quirky navigation--for the long battery life & huge capacity (my collection grows and grows). What I'd love to find (but it isn't out there apparently) is an X7-ish PMP that has 3-digit GB capacity, plays flacs, doesn't worry about video & Internet connectivity, has a great battery life & Cowon quality sound. Right now every device I've researched tends to rely on SD cards and 32 to 64 GB internal flash memory. With flacs a 500GB player would be awesome.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Good point. I will test with H2TestW. I did not say that Windows format worked. In fact it didn't. I used EaseUs Disk Partition to format it. It shows 64GB, but may be fake or defective because files copied to it tend to "disappear" after turning off PC and turning it back on again. In any case I'll probably go with a 32GB card just to avoid the hassle of trying to grip that small sucker between my fingernails every time I have to remove it.
Any updates? I'm looking at unbranded microsd cards on ebay right now. Did your card pass the test? Is it legit?