android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players > General MP3 Player / PMP Discussion

Old 11-13-2012, 09:43 AM

Default easy to use mp3 player for non techie middle aged woman. No touchscreens please.

Hello all,

I am looking for a good sized player that isn't made by apple, since they went all touch screen a while back...

My friends' mother is stuck in the hospital and would love to listen to some music, she does not like her daughters' ipod nano (the square all touch one), as such I am trying to help her find a easy to use player with buttons that isn't too small in actual size or storage space... and I am having trouble. Not many players are actually available in Canada (most stores seem to carry cheap brands like Hip Street or Coby, Phillips, in addition to the bigger and more expensive players like $ony or Apple).

I have been looking at the sansa clip zip and it may be too small to be of use to the person I am buying it for.

My personal preferences for a player of this type would be one with dedicated buttons, can be expanded using micro sd (i have a 32GB) and not give troubles with the player (like long load times). Also, Video playback is not needed.

way back when, I used to use players that were powered by AAA batteries and had an sd card slot, I think it was a Rio (Blue/Black/Chrome)... I do not know if players are still made like that these days...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you want a player with a card slot and tactile buttons, the choice is basically the Sandisk Clip+, Clip Zip, and original Fuze. The original Fuze was discontinued over 2 years ago, but is still somewhat available. The original Fuze is larger than the Clip+ or Clip Zip, has tactile buttons and a card slot. Avoid the Fuze+, as its controls are horrible.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
If you want a player with a card slot and tactile buttons, the choice is basically the Sandisk Clip+, Clip Zip, and original Fuze. The original Fuze was discontinued over 2 years ago, but is still somewhat available. The original Fuze is larger than the Clip+ or Clip Zip, has tactile buttons and a card slot. Avoid the Fuze+, as its controls are horrible.
My dad has one but he will not part with it. I have looked online and cannot find one for under $100 on ebay.ca new.

sandisk only has the 2gb pink and black left on their site and I think they are over charging for a player of that capacity and age.

how does it handle playing exclusively from the micro sd card?

Old 11-13-2012, 11:27 AM

There's also the iPod Classic to consider.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skamp View Post
There's also the iPod Classic to consider.
true but it is out of our price range... even after all this time. I would get this for myself if i didn't already have a zune 120Gb (with a finicky control setup).

Old 11-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batkinson001 View Post
My dad has one but he will not part with it. I have looked online and cannot find one for under $100 on ebay.ca new.

sandisk only has the 2gb pink and black left on their site and I think they are over charging for a player of that capacity and age.

how does it handle playing exclusively from the micro sd card?
It works just fine playing off just card memory. Some mp3 players that are very popular go up in price after they have been discontinued. That is especially true for new ones.

I say save money and buy a Clip+. I have both the Clip+ and Fuze, and like both.

The 2GB Clip+ is $30, while the 4GB Clip+ is $35. Shipping to Canada is around $9.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...655+4291236412

Last edited by JK98; 11-13-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:25 PM

I am testing out the blue clip zip for myself...

How do I upload attachments from a phone?

Old 11-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batkinson001 View Post
I am testing out the blue clip zip for myself...

How do I upload attachments from a phone?
Download them to your pc first, then upload them to the player. Do you have the Clip Zip set to MSC for the USB mode?

Old 11-13-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Download them to your pc first, then upload them to the player. Do you have the Clip Zip set to MSC for the USB mode?
Not yet. I am at work.