android
Old 11-04-2012, 05:29 AM
Samsung Moderator

Still no news about an international release. The GP1 is not referenced on any Samsung Europe or US website yet.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-06-2012, 06:52 AM
Samsung Moderator

For those who can't wait for an hypothetical international release, you can now buy it on exportprive.com

16GB version: $432 or 338
http://www.exportprive.com/en/samsun...gb-white-.html

32GB version: not available yet
http://www.exportprive.com/en/samsun...gb-white-.html

Old 11-06-2012, 09:34 PM

I'm very interested in this device.

I've been wanting a 6" tablet for a while now, because I think it's the biggest screen size that still fits in most pockets. Given my bad eyesight this would be great.

However, I think it will fail badly if released in USA if they don't upgrade some of the components. The new 5th gen iPod Touch (which I now own, and it's pretty nice, but I like Android a little more than iOS) has a much, much better camera for example, with an LED flash. Maybe it's just me, but I really like having a half decent camera on my pocket devices. It can be very useful.

How does the CPU on the 5.8 compare to the 5th gen iPod Touch (which is approx. equal to iPhone 4S & iPad 2)?

Last edited by TapperP; 11-06-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperP View Post
I'm very interested in this device.

I've been wanting a 6" tablet for a while now, because I think it's the biggest screen size that still fits in most pockets. Given my bad eyesight this would be great.

However, I think it will fail badly if released in USA if they don't upgrade some of the components. The new 5th gen iPod Touch (which I now own, and it's pretty nice, but I like Android a little more than iOS) has a much, much better camera for example, with an LED flash. Maybe it's just me, but I really like having a half decent camera on my pocket devices. It can be very useful.

How does the CPU on the 5.8 compare to the 5th gen iPod Touch (which is approx. equal to iPhone 4S & iPad 2)?
I have the SGP 5.0 and love that it has a camera with a led flash. i use the camera a lot so it's pretty important to me that it has a good camera.
the 5.8 is starting to disappoint me, the price? i really hope the price is lowered by the time of its release...i dont want to pay $400.
and what is up with these low end screens? why can't it have a HD Display?

Old 11-07-2012, 06:01 PM

Because Samsung likely sees these as kid's toys. They probably reason that anyone who wants a decent device is going to purchase a smartphone. I don't' agree with that, but somehow despite a LOT of activity around 7" wifi tablets...no one seems interested in making a slightly smaller (5-6") version that can actually fit in a pocket. Again, most people with a tablet also have a smart phone so don't really need the device to be pockatable AND easy to read and work with. If you want small- you have a smart phone. If you want big- you have a tablet. Small non-phone device is not going to b4e getting the top-shelf hardware unfortunately.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:48 PM

anyone know if the 5.8 will be upgradeable?

Old 11-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kitties View Post
anyone know if the 5.8 will be upgradeable?
Upgradeable in what way? If you mean a new Android version, I think technically it would be capable of a newer version, but I would tend to doubt that it would ever happen. Maybe lebellium might know something we don't, but I wouldn't be surprised if he agreed with me on the unlikelihood of an update.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Samsung Moderator

Well, with me it's always easy. If I get an information from Samsung I post it, if I don't have any, I don't post.
If someone knew anything more about it, you would already have read it here in the thread, I promise you 2kitties.

If you're talking about an upgrade from Android 4.0 to 4.1, indeed I doubt that will ever happen even though the GP 4.0 and 5.0 have been upgraded from Android 2.2 to 2.3 at the time. So let's hope.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:09 PM

ok thanks. i was talking about from icecream to whatever the next one is, so yea new version. wait the 5.0 is upgradable? sorry for all the questions its just i don't about the updates. thank you for putting up with me, or at least trying too. ok so the 2.2 and "name like jelly bean" are the same thing. (i googled it)

Last edited by 2kitties; 11-08-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
ok thanks. i was talking about from icecream to whatever the next one is. wait the 5.0 is upgradable? sorry for all the questions its just i don't know what the updates are. whats android 2.2 ? thank you for all your help. i'm sure i have said it before but i will say it again... i don't want to buy device that will be obsolete soon, although i know that can be the case now adays. thank you for putting up with me, or at least trying too.
Have a look at this for your Android version questions.....http://socialcompare.com/en/comparis...ons-comparison

Obsolete is a relative term.

Just because the current SGP 4.0/5.0 only have 2.3 Gingerbread might make them "obsolete" to people who are caught up in just having to have the latest, greatest thing, doesn't mean that they are not perfectly capable of serving their users well for some time to come.

Out of all the Android devices out there, Gingerbread 2.3 still is the highest percentage.....over 50%, I believe. So buying a device with Ice Cream Sandwich is nothing to worry about.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:34 PM

thanks for clearing that up. it makes me feel better

do you think it will get upgraded again? the 5.0. just curious.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
thanks for clearing that up. it makes me feel better

do you think it will get upgraded again? the 5.0. just curious.
No, I don't think so, at least not by Samsung.

The technically inclined people can root it and install a custom ROM which is basically the same as ICS, but it's not easy for most of us normal people.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
No, I don't think so, at least not by Samsung.

The technically inclined people can root it and install a custom ROM which is basically the same as ICS, but it's not easy for most of us normal people.
You mean guys like you? Me, I'm lazy. The SGP 5.0 and 5.8 are great as is. If your a nerd it's nice to be able to root&rom. I can but,...me LAZY!!!

Old 11-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
You mean guys like you? Me, I'm lazy. The SGP 5.0 and 5.8 are great as is. If your a nerd it's nice to be able to root&rom. I can but,...me LAZY!!!
I would never have been able to do the ROM on the SGP without the very detailed post made by sanchezhacker here in the forums. Without those instructions I would have chickened out....lol.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:26 AM

Any news on the possibility of new SGP's being announced at CES 2013? I was hoping that Samsung would release new SGP's in time for the holiday shopping season but I guess they didn't want to take advantage of it.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:33 AM
Samsung Moderator

The only coming Galaxy Player is the YP-GH1. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=70747

No info about it yet. Not even sure it will be released outside Korea since the GP 5.8 doesn't seem to come to Europe and USA either.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:58 AM

I bought the galaxy player 5.8 32 GB model on Ebay and I must say I like this player. The screen is big and I find the resolution not to be a problem. All I need to do is find a case for it. Would a Galaxy note 2 case fit?

Old 12-11-2012, 10:41 PM

What? You bought one? Korean? Give is the friggin' details with all haste my good man!

Old 12-11-2012, 10:57 PM

Holy Moly! $550
The whole thing is probably in Korean.
Still a TFT screen! And no camera flash!
Aahhhhhhh! We're going backwards.
Seriously, what kind of sedatives are they on?
For this price, you might as well buy an unlocked S3 or Note2 and run it without a phone plan.
Disappointing after all this waiting.
Maybe just get a 7" TAB and rip it down on the table saw.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
For this price, you might as well buy an unlocked S3 or Note2 and run it without a phone plan.
I suspect that is what they really would prefer you to do....because those devices unlocked cost even more, IIRC.
Quote:
Disappointing after all this waiting.
Yeah, it is...I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of the 5.0, but the hardware is starting to feel a little dated...(the single-core CPU and limited RAM in particular)

Quote:
Maybe just get a 7" TAB and rip it down on the table saw.
Pics or it didn't happen!

Tags
5.8, galaxy player, samsung, yp-gp1