android
Old 01-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Letting other people manage and store you music is like letting other people manage your money. Sure it might be safe and seem safe but if you don't pay them they will take it all away.
Sony's security breach anyone!?!?!?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Screw the cloud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Sony's security breach anyone!?!?!?
My point exactly!

Old 01-03-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
My point exactly!
I'll second that!

Old 01-17-2012, 10:00 AM

I know this post is a little old, so excuse me if I'm out of order. I too have been looking for a large capacity mp3 player, except I want it for home use to hook up to the stereo. I'm currently using a laptop, but that is hardly ideal. I've found these devices

ARCHOS 70 internet tablet 250 GB
Cowon X7 160 GB
Wolverine ESP 5000
Samsung 7 Slate $1300

Are there any others?

Old 01-17-2012, 05:56 PM

The Wolverine ESP 500 isn't really a player, so much as it is a portable drive. Its media capabilities aren't that good. Not to mention it's old. 2006 isn't a good year to buy electronics from; the internal battery is surely dead by now, regardless of how often it was used.

Archos is middle-level quality overall. It may offer a sizable drive to store everything on, but it's not the best player out there.

The Toshiba tablet is far too expensive to justify, regardless of the specs. For half that price, you could get a far better EVERYTHING ELSE.

The X7 has the capacity, the size, the specs and the price to make it the proper choice.
movies, Netflix and internet, oh my!

Old 01-17-2012, 06:03 PM

I have a couple iriver H120 units, from 2004 or so, that still have their original battery. Not the original battery duration true, but they work fine.

Steve

Old 01-19-2012, 01:06 PM

I have the Samsung tablet on the list only if I was looking to buy a new laptop too. It is more than I want to spend, even for a laptop. I did find another box that I think will work the LaCie LaCinema Play HD, 2 TB for less than $300.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:54 AM

Well, I'm totally depressed. I've been looking since Jan when my xclef 80gb finally wore out after about 45,000hrs of use. Bought an X7 and the usb cord wouldn't stay in the unit, wouldn't make connection - just fell out from socket under its own weight.
Now I have the Archos 48 500gb, and the battery won't charge past 87% with a gomatic 1A charger and 93% on the usb. (charged for over 48hrs). Transfered 200+gb and battery went to 13% after about 80gb and 1hr, While obviously plugged in via usb. Tried the gomatic charger and the battery immediately went to 10% and falling.
And yes it has clocking noise present in the audio signal too, and output is low- about 78 db with sony earbuds.
How can anyone make such a worthless, non usable product? An exorcise in futility.
Far as I can see there is nothing worth buying at this point.
Why doesn't someone make a player with a battery pack that accepts a 2.5" usb hard drive of any capacity? Then just strap them together if needed.
I did order this for my motorcycle. Do not know file, or drive capacity yet, but it at least has a shuffle function. Clarion sells a version of this too. So I'm hoping it will work fairly good.
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html

Last edited by bth73; 07-22-2012 at 07:05 AM. Reason: missig info

Old 07-22-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bth73 View Post
I did order this for my motorcycle. Do not know file, or drive capacity yet, but it at least has a shuffle function. Clarion sells a version of this too. So I'm hoping it will work fairly good.
Am I missing something, or is there key information intentionally not given in the description of this product . . . like memory size (2GB, 4GB, 32GB, etc.) and what kind of warranty comes with it, and from who (off-brand mfg. in China)?

I'd also be extremely leery about the fact that only 1 unit has been sold in the past 6 months and only 1 review exists . . . but they won't show it to you until the review count gets to 10.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
And yes it has clocking noise present in the audio signal too, and output is low- about 78 db with sony earbuds.
How can anyone make such a worthless, non usable product? An exorcise in futility.

I ran an mp3 player on my bike through a marine stereo with a wired remote so I could control volume, couldn't imagine randomly changing volumes with headphones on unless you do the replay gain thing.

Definitely had some moments crossing albums where it was comfortable and about blew me off the bike, and vice versa.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Buahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! I love this quote from the description:

Quote:
Material : cast aluminium have good radiating .which we developing according to our old customer .!!

Old 10-31-2012, 09:09 AM

I'm actually astonished there isn't a solution for this.
Companies obviously don't realize there's a demand, particularly for DJs and music enthusiasts, the requirement to use the cloud when there are technologies which could easily (for them) be manufactured into amazing products is beyond me. A hard drive with its' own power source, a 2" LCD, navigation buttons and an output jack would be more than enough. I'm sick of not having music with me.

Anyway, rant over. Is the Cowon X7 actualy bad as a product, or is it likely to just have been the single one you bought, bth73?

Old 03-31-2014, 09:39 AM

This is my first post. I thought about making a new thread but I found this in a Google search so I figured I would resurrect instead.

My dad likes CDs. He has a ridiculous collection of several hundred, possibly into the thousands. He's retired now and has nothing to do with his time so he decided he wants to digitize his music.

He asked me for suggestions and my answer was to rip all of his CDs onto his PC, back them up on an external hard drive and then put them on a High Capacity MP3 player. Then he can plug the player into his stereo via the aux jack and play whatever he wants whenever he wants which is what he wants to do.

The problem is that the only high capacity MP3 player I can find is a 160 GB iPod or a $600 used Zune. Neither of those is remotely acceptable (I will eventually swallow my pride and tell him to get an Ipod if I have to but I'd rather it not come to that).

So the question is:

Are there any other options? Other large capacity players available? Other possibly home based options? Hell, I'd be willing to tell him to buy a new stereo and install a hard drive on it if that would work.

FWIW, I don't have a problem with what iPods are. My issue is with Apple and the culture they promote. I can't, in good conscience, support that company.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-whiz View Post
This is my first post. I thought about making a new thread but I found this in a Google search so I figured I would resurrect instead.

My dad likes CDs. He has a ridiculous collection of several hundred, possibly into the thousands. He's retired now and has nothing to do with his time so he decided he wants to digitize his music.

He asked me for suggestions and my answer was to rip all of his CDs onto his PC, back them up on an external hard drive and then put them on a High Capacity MP3 player. Then he can plug the player into his stereo via the aux jack and play whatever he wants whenever he wants which is what he wants to do.

The problem is that the only high capacity MP3 player I can find is a 160 GB iPod or a $600 used Zune. Neither of those is remotely acceptable (I will eventually swallow my pride and tell him to get an Ipod if I have to but I'd rather it not come to that).

So the question is:

Are there any other options? Other large capacity players available? Other possibly home based options? Hell, I'd be willing to tell him to buy a new stereo and install a hard drive on it if that would work.

FWIW, I don't have a problem with what iPods are. My issue is with Apple and the culture they promote. I can't, in good conscience, support that company.
I've tried to do pretty much the same, although you should differentiate if you're talking about home or car stereo and real scale. Once you start getting into large library territory there's nothing out there that will hold a whole collection. Navigation also generally sucks when you have a large collection, unless it's a full blown PC and media manager.

I do a 2tb usb attached to my home receiver in wav (because it supports it), and mp3 for those not ripped in wav.

I setup a subsonic server to host all mp3s, that I use at work.

For the run back and forth I use the j3 with 96GB storage and approximately 9000 songs. (8000 song limit on 2 different drives which makes the 128gb micro not a viable option).

And use SD for the rides, again with a 5000 song limit, so that makes for a lot of movement to manage all that stuff. But it's curated by me, so I know what I'm eating.

One thing for sure is that he should get 2 drives and robocopy or rsync between them, because having to re-rip a bunch of stuff is a pain in the butt.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:16 PM

A lot of the higher-end DAPs these days allow for OTG drives. With something like the forthcomiing Fiio X5, you have 2 micro SD slots (2x128GB possibility) plus you could add a USB flash drive through the OTG ($65 at newegg) and you'd be up to 384GB, give or take.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

i have a networked hard drive and i stream my music using my tablet or phone

Old 04-01-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:

So the question is:

Are there any other options?
Yes. Forget the idea of a high capacity MP3 player. Why would it be necessary for a home stereo system? Put the files on a computer hard drive and find some playback solution that he likes which is NOT a portable player. It could be something as simple as a small PC, or a network player such as a Squeezebox (discontinued, but available used and in the future via community effort) or Sonos or many others.

Rip the music to a lossless audio format such as FLAC, not MP3 or any other lossy format. If you (or he) are going to put in the time and effort to rip thousands of CDs, then do it once. Once the music is properly ripped to a lossless format you can transcode it at a later date into any other lossless or lossy format, as needed.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:28 AM

He doesn't want to stream it from his PC. He wants something that can store it locally (more or less) at his home stereo. Dad tends to turn his PC off when he isn't using it (not sure why-I've told him not to).

That said, a network device that requires his PC to be on wouldn't help.

Also, he doesn't have or want a smartphone/tablet. Although, I might be able to convince him to get a tablet if it turns out to be necessary.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:27 PM

How portable does it need to be? Are you just going to be using it connected to your stereo? Then why not buy a cheap second hand laptop and swap out the hd for the biggest one you can find and connect it to your stereo? You can even set it up to be controlled by a smartphone if he ever breaks down and buys one. Seriosuly though for the price of the highest capicity player on the market you can get a decent laptop at a pawn shop or craigslist. Then swap out the harddrive (30 second procedure in older laptops) and install windows or linux fresh.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
He doesn't want to stream it from his PC. He wants something that can store it locally (more or less) at his home stereo. Dad tends to turn his PC off when he isn't using it (not sure why-I've told him not to).

That said, a network device that requires his PC to be on wouldn't help.

Also, he doesn't have or want a smartphone/tablet. Although, I might be able to convince him to get a tablet if it turns out to be necessary.
Then use an inexpensive laptop, set up by his home stereo. With an external hard drive, if needed, for the capacity to store thousands of CDs. No need for any kind of smart remote, as he can select music right at the laptop, but a tablet or smart phone is still an option if he wants to control the music from the listening chair. He'll probably want to add a USB DAC (if he doesn't already have a USB-capable DAC) for better audio quality than found in the typical laptop.

There are quite a few (non-portable) players available from audio companies with internal hard drives, but you could easily spend thousands of dollars on them. And most will once again require a tablet or smart phone for control, as they don't typically have direct user input.

Last edited by Carson Dyle; 04-08-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Tags
high capacity, mp3 player