android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Off Topic > Random Chat

Old 05-09-2012, 04:25 PM

It seems that I am allergic to vaping! Since about two weeks, I'm having skin problems on my neck and arms, unbearable itching: I scratched myself enough to draw blood!. Now I take corticosteroids to reduce the inflammation... Doctor (generalist) ordered me to quit the vaping, since it's the only new thing in my life and therefore, the most probable cause of the allergy... I will see a dermatologist tomorrow...

DAMN! I managed to quit smoking, and I really, really like to vape...

DietSalem, I read that the most likely culprit in case of allergy to vaping is the propylene glycol... have you ever tried a liquid base of 100% vegetable glycerin? It must be really thick... I read that you can thin it with distilled water or grain alcohol... What vaping methods works for 100%VG? Is it too thick for a Stardust? (I really like the stardust...)

I forgot to say: Yes..I'm back to regular cigs again. Addiction was not broken because I used nicotine in my liquids...

Last edited by JSV; 05-09-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-11-2012, 06:15 PM

Not trying to be a dick or get into an argument but LMAO @ this dude telling us this is actually healthier for you than not using it. WOW! Where are your sources that cite this? And I'm sorry to rain on your parade but anything the FDA deems healthy and safe is usually not (just look at all the meds they've "passed" that turned out to be very dangerous). Plus Propylene Glycol is an industrial product commonly used as a solvent and in engine coolant. Doesn't sound very healthy to vaporize and inhale. Until I see long term studies I will continue be highly skeptical. You mention THC having tar in it. Not true at all!! There is tar present is marijuana that's been burned, but no tar is found in vaporized weed. Most, if not all, of the carcinogens from smoking cigarettes are from the tar that's produced and from the multitudes of additives that are burned and create unknown chemicals (carcinogens IMO). I think most people would be better off vaporizing naturally grown tobacco and pot in small doses.

PLUS $1500 in 3 months? DAMN!!!!!

Not to be a hypocrite but I tried a puff of one of those cheap 7-11 e-cigs and thought it was just too bizarre. I would like to try a puff of an expensive one just to try it once. I will pretty much try anything once. Well, at least more commonly consumed things such as liquor and not-so-hard drugs.

Again, sorry, I'm not judging anyone or trying to start anything I just had to respond after reading some things here. That's really cool that your sense of smell came back and are feeling better. That's a huge deal.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

We use propylene glycol as a de-icing agent and to prevent snow buildup, in preparation of impending snow storms/blizzard conditions where I work (MTA/NYCT). We spray the third rail with it. And it's also used in shampoo, deodorant, and skin creams as a slickening agent. It's also used by singers as a throat lubricant before a performance. It's been linked to throat cancer,...

Old 05-12-2012, 05:51 AM

I saw a dermatologist. turns out my skin problems were unrelated to vaping. Phew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
Plus Propylene Glycol is an industrial product commonly used as a solvent and in engine coolant.
Check your sources. Engine coolant is much more likely to be ethylene glycol which is toxic.

Propylene glycol is almost everywhere. In pharmaceuticals, cosmetics and in food too. It is also the main ingredient in smoke/fog machines. Toxicity is very low.

Last edited by JSV; 05-12-2012 at 05:58 AM.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It's not TOTALLY harmless: http://www.ppe.com/msds/Propylene%20glycol.pdf

But, it's a HELL of a lot better than an actual cigarette.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSV View Post
It seems that I am allergic to vaping! Since about two weeks, I'm having skin problems on my neck and arms, unbearable itching: I scratched myself enough to draw blood!. Now I take corticosteroids to reduce the inflammation... Doctor (generalist) ordered me to quit the vaping, since it's the only new thing in my life and therefore, the most probable cause of the allergy... I will see a dermatologist tomorrow...

DAMN! I managed to quit smoking, and I really, really like to vape...

DietSalem, I read that the most likely culprit in case of allergy to vaping is the propylene glycol... have you ever tried a liquid base of 100% vegetable glycerin? It must be really thick... I read that you can thin it with distilled water or grain alcohol... What vaping methods works for 100%VG? Is it too thick for a Stardust? (I really like the stardust...)

I forgot to say: Yes..I'm back to regular cigs again. Addiction was not broken because I used nicotine in my liquids...
Most likely the PG, yes! I'm allergic to PG myself, however I weened myself into being able to use it. You were properly hydrating right? Also, how long had you stopped smoking? Many people when they quit smoking (through any means, not just vaping) develop hives. For 100% VG you're going to need to direct drip or find cartos that work for 100% vg. I do not know of any as I only direct drip myself. If you find yourself in the Indiana region come see me - I will let you use every product I have and sample it all. You can also hop on ECF (electronic cigarette forum) and mention that you started vaping but turned out to be allergic. Many people there are experts way beyond what I know. Though.. They're kind of elitist there so be careful. Not the nicest of people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
Not trying to be a dick or get into an argument but LMAO @ this dude telling us this is actually healthier for you than not using it. WOW! Where are your sources that cite this? And I'm sorry to rain on your parade but anything the FDA deems healthy and safe is usually not (just look at all the meds they've "passed" that turned out to be very dangerous). Plus Propylene Glycol is an industrial product commonly used as a solvent and in engine coolant. Doesn't sound very healthy to vaporize and inhale. Until I see long term studies I will continue be highly skeptical. You mention THC having tar in it. Not true at all!! There is tar present is marijuana that's been burned, but no tar is found in vaporized weed. Most, if not all, of the carcinogens from smoking cigarettes are from the tar that's produced and from the multitudes of additives that are burned and create unknown chemicals (carcinogens IMO). I think most people would be better off vaporizing naturally grown tobacco and pot in small doses.

PLUS $1500 in 3 months? DAMN!!!!!

Not to be a hypocrite but I tried a puff of one of those cheap 7-11 e-cigs and thought it was just too bizarre. I would like to try a puff of an expensive one just to try it once. I will pretty much try anything once. Well, at least more commonly consumed things such as liquor and not-so-hard drugs.

Again, sorry, I'm not judging anyone or trying to start anything I just had to respond after reading some things here. That's really cool that your sense of smell came back and are feeling better. That's a huge deal.
There's always that one guy... Lol.

Alright, let's go. People make claims about how eating vegetables is better for you than not and no one questions it. Scientists say the same thing for something that mimics a cigarette but without chemicals and people get all ancy. The studies suggest that the propylene glycol inhalation (which is similar to a non medicated asthma treatment) clears the airways and allows better breathing, helps combat allergens, and even helps remove unwanted properties from the lungs. This is assuming 0mg nicotine content. However, nicotine itself has many medical uses and it's health benefits have LONG been debated. I will not get into this, as this is a topic that is 20 years old and you can simply bing it. Propylene glycol is also used in food colorings, toothpaste, artificial flavoring, moisturizer found in many packaged foods, many oral and injectable pharmaceuticals, and in polyester. So are you telling me you don't eat any food from the grocery store, don't wash your teeth, don't eat candy, don't eat any baked goods from the grocery, don't take medication and don't wear sweaters? Just because it's used as an ingredient in one thing that isn't for consumption doesn't mean it is the unhealthy thing itself. Remember, that engine coolant also has water in it! Better not go drinking water! I never said THC has tar in it, I said smoking marijuana has tar in it. All you did here was just agree with me. You're so quick to attack vaping that you're looking for things to attack here. I don't know why you're so against it, honestly. It saves lives - shouldn't that be enough for you?

1,500 in 3 months is not that much. In 4 months 10 days and 1 hour I have saved 1,375.85 and avoided 4,586 cigarettes. I am also doing the very most expensive methods of vaping, with tons of mods. What I'm doing, to put it into terms that you may understand, is like someone who wants to listen to music spending 600 dollars on an MP3 player and then 2,000 dollars on headphones. I am doing the very best of everything - which gets kind of expensive. Even STILL I am saving money. DAMN!!!!!!!

I'd offer you help, but frankly I don't like you already so I won't be giving you any tips other than by proxy of giving someone else a tip while you are also reading. I'll repeat an earlier question to you: It saves lives - shouldn't that be enough for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
We use propylene glycol as a de-icing agent and to prevent snow buildup, in preparation of impending snow storms/blizzard conditions where I work (MTA/NYCT). We spray the third rail with it. And it's also used in shampoo, deodorant, and skin creams as a slickening agent. It's also used by singers as a throat lubricant before a performance. It's been linked to throat cancer,...
Propylene glycol is in basically everything. That's why it's funny that that guy earlier was making a claim that it's unsafe for consumption lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSV View Post
I saw a dermatologist. turns out my skin problems were unrelated to vaping. Phew.

Check your sources. Engine coolant is much more likely to be ethylene glycol which is toxic.

Propylene glycol is almost everywhere. In pharmaceuticals, cosmetics and in food too. It is also the main ingredient in smoke/fog machines. Toxicity is very low.
Yes! I am so happy for you! My first post to you doesn't make any sense then now that I've read this! Either way, I'll leave it there just in case. So you're back to tootin' that delicious juice eh? Got any favorite flavors yet?

Quote:
It's not TOTALLY harmless: http://www.ppe.com/msds/Propylene%20glycol.pdf

But, it's a HELL of a lot better than an actual cigarette.
I only read the first few pages because I'm lazy.. But for the most part that is just talking about how harmless it is lol. I mean, for safety reasons you're not supposed to write on your skin with sharpies but how many of us did that as kids? lol.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietSalem View Post
However, nicotine itself has many medical uses and it's health benefits have LONG been debated. I will not get into this, as this is a topic that is 20 years old and you can simply bing it.
This is the only thing I take exception to in your post...For the sake of the children, please don't let "bing it" become a part of our lexicon.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The one thing I dislike about my phone, "bing", and you bring it into this thread!!!
I vote to have you banned if you EVER "bing" again.

Now, back on topic!!!

Old 05-13-2012, 11:04 PM

I prefer bing to Google. Google's making such a strong push to take over the world and honestly it scares me.

... Back on topic - I've been having very bad allergies this season and vaping is helping with the symptoms by clearing out my passages of allergens. Whenever I am feeling very sneezy I just take a thick drag and exhale slowly. Works like a charm!

Old 07-03-2012, 07:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have a buddy trying to quit smoking,...he's interested in getting better gear.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:05 AM

Might be best to avoid using them on public transport in the UK for a while;

M6 terror alert was caused by electronic cigarette

Old 07-06-2012, 10:21 AM

Love my vape

Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 07-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Alright, let's go. People make claims about how eating vegetables is better for you than not and no one questions it.
This is untrue. A great many people have questioned it. As a result, there is now an enormous amount of evidence associating vegetable consumption with improved health outcomes. For example, a quick search turns up this:

Quote:
Epidemiologic evidence of a protective role for fruits and vegetables in cancer prevention is substantial. The strength of this scientific base guides US national policymaking in diet and health issues and facilitates community and local programs that address national dietary goals to increase fruit and vegetable consumption. Current scientific evidence also suggests a protective role for fruits and vegetables in prevention of coronary heart disease, and evidence is accumulating for a protective role in stroke. In addition, a new scientific base is emerging to support a protective role for fruits and vegetables in prevention of cataract formation, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, diverticulosis, and possibly, hypertension. This article provides an overview of the health benefits associated with fruit and vegetable consumption for each of these conditions, including brief discussions of underlying protective mechanisms, identifies key scientific findings regarding the health benefits of fruit and vegetable consumption, and outlines applications of these findings for dietetics professionals.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...0282230000420X

No offense, but if you don't know, its unhelpful to pretend otherwise.

Quote:
However, nicotine itself has many medical uses and it's health benefits have LONG been debated. I will not get into this, as this is a topic that is 20 years old and you can simply bing it.
I don't think bing indexes scientific articles, so I would not recommend using it for this case as you are likely to not find what you need. Instead, I took you up on your offer and did a quick literature search for the effects of nicotine isolated from tobacco. The literature on this point is actually quite unclear, as until recently very few people had access to large amounts of purified nicotine independent of tobacco. Certainly not "long debated", unless you mean those foolish arguments that smoking was healthy in past generations.

The first studies I can find are from the 1970s, where nicotine exposure through breast milk was studied to understand the role in causing neurological problems in the children of smokers. The first studies of actual pure nicotine in adults are from the late 1980s andearly 1990s and consider only transitory exposure in people who are already addicted to tobacco. Then we see some animal models a few years later using purified nicotine.

Its only in the mid to late 2000s it seems that the first consideration of inhaling purified nicotine by humans appears in the literature, but I am unable to find even a single study concerning anything but acute exposure in humans. There are, however, a number of in vitro experiments, suggesting that nicotine is a fairly strong proliferative agent in transformed human cancer cells, and has considerable teratogenic potential. Obviously it is also highly addictive.

So it would appear that no one really knows how harmful chronic nicotine exposure is, although preliminary results suggest it is neither beneficial nor extremely harmful, at least compared to smoking. I suppose you are volunteering to be our first cohort.

Quote:
1,500 in 3 months is not that much. In 4 months 10 days and 1 hour I have saved 1,375.85 and avoided 4,586 cigarettes. I am also doing the very most expensive methods of vaping, with tons of mods. What I'm doing, to put it into terms that you may understand, is like someone who wants to listen to music spending 600 dollars on an MP3 player and then 2,000 dollars on headphones. I am doing the very best of everything - which gets kind of expensive. Even STILL I am saving money. DAMN!!!!!!!
Compared to smoking, this is obviously a much better choice, however, you could probably pick safer substances to be addicted to. I probably wouldn't recommend this unless you had already tried and failed to quit smoking or maybe as a bridge to quitting.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:20 PM

I'm back and still smoke free! I'm going to completely ignore the post above me because last time I posted I clearly stated I wasn't interested in discussing those topics (which I've heavily discussed on other forums). Instead, I'll just link this stuff here:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/
http://www.casaa.org/
ECF has a lot of the "theories" on there more than CASAA. CASAA won't publish much anything until it's PROVEN, so it's mostly a "vaping is safer, period" area as opposed to ECF where many are suggesting, including multiple doctors who are there, that it may in fact be healthier to vape than to not vape. Some good information there.

Anyway, I've saved $3,141 and 16 cents! With 10,471 cigarettes avoided! After you subtract my total spendings, I've still saved roughly $2,000 or more. And, that's from someone who is a heavy vaper who spends a lot of money on juices, fancy atomizers and other toys.

I can honestly say this is probably the best life decision I've ever made. I've said that to my wife, because as I've said a many times - vaping is going to keep me enjoying my wife for longer.

I've never felt this healthy in my life. I feel outstanding. I feel remarkably healthy, alive and CLEAN. Every breath of vapor that enters my lungs - I can feel it grabbing the toxins and pollutants and freeing me from my old cancerous habits.

Currently vaping some DELICIOUS Apple Cinnanna from Fuzion Vapors. They are purely awesome and put in vitamins and stuff in their juice. They've got one which has B12 that I use in the mornings for relaxation and energy. It's awesome!

Old 10-28-2012, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
Love my vape

I have myself one of those babies with a flexy straw-tube-thing. Best invention for movies since popcorn!

Old 10-28-2012, 02:59 AM

Still vaping and still smoke free. Not a single cig in months. Now using Lavatube v2 with vivinova v2 tanks.

I've tried quite a few different juices, and my favourite is strawberry, cola and Vaporus "Jabba's hookah"...

Old 10-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thumbs up

I just made 5 years smoke free on Oct 25th,...congrats to all of you!!!

Old 10-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I'll be 5 years free of smoke (all kinds) and alcohol on Nov. 3....so congrats back atcha!

Old 10-28-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I'll be 5 years free of smoke (all kinds) and alcohol on Nov. 3....so congrats back atcha!
Those are worthy (and not easy) accomplishments. You should both be proud.

Happy Anniversary!

Old 10-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
Those are worthy (and not easy) accomplishments. You should both be proud.

Happy Anniversary!
Thanks!