android
Old 10-26-2012, 11:22 PM

Default Recommend an MP3 player for a five year old

New here, hello everyone! I'm looking for an MP3 player for my five year old daughter. Something that plays video also. All suggestions are appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-27-2012, 07:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome to ABi!!!

Take a look at the iPod lineup, as they have a volume limiting feature in the settings to protect a childs hearing. There's also parental controls to restrict what type of videos they're allowed to watch. Plus you can quite easily load educational games & apps on something like an iPod touch.

I'm not totally sure if these features are in an Android device as well,...hopefully later on someone will give more input on that (I no longer own any Android hardware ATM). But, an Android device can do games & apps just as well as an iPod.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have to agree with TDS on this....the parental control is important for a five year old child, both volume and content.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-27-2012, 07:50 AM

I think in the case of a five year old a tablet in the 5 -10 inch range might be better than most of the more portable solutions people here favor. My logic being that it's something she will be less likely to carry around with her everywhere. A smaller device fits in a pocket and anything in a child's pocket tends to get used and abused. Or maybe that was just me. A tablet is still portable but requires a bag.

I'm assuming this will be a device they will interact with quite a bit. Probably even their main electronic device if they don't have a computer of some sort. So in that sense having the extra screen real estate makes sense. A bit more firepower on the firepower vs mobility axis. Easier to read stuff and watch videos.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:25 PM

Do what I did if you can and simply give them an old phone that you may have laying around. I just used a deactivated droid 1 which works as a perfectly fine video player and MP3 player.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd recommend an iPod Touch. Like others have said, it's very easy to set parental controls and volume limits. Plus there's a ton of fun games .

Here is an 8GB 4th gen for $180.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed