android
Old 10-20-2012, 04:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default new 99.00 tablet

Google is said to be coming out with a new tablet for 99.00

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20121...q=NEXUS+TABLET

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-20-2012, 09:45 AM

a $99 Nexus tablet would make sense. Drop the resolution from HD to 1024x600 (or something similar), drop the quad core processor for a dual-core and have this tablet replace the current 8gb nexus 7 and sell the 16gb N7 for $200. The new tablet would probably match the ipad mini on paper but be a third of the price.

I'm hoping that they are not going to use a single core processor. A dual-core with jellybean would offer near top of the line performance for most users and probably doesn't even coast a whole lot more than a single core these days. Even if they did use a single core processor in the new nexus tablet, most of the saving would come from dropping the screen's resolution anyway.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
a $99 Nexus tablet would make sense. Drop the resolution from HD to 1024x600 (or something similar), drop the quad core processor for a dual-core and have this tablet replace the current 8gb nexus 7 and sell the 16gb N7 for $200. The new tablet would probably match the ipad mini on paper but be a third of the price.

I'm hoping that they are not going to use a single core processor. A dual-core with jellybean would offer near top of the line performance for most users and probably doesn't even coast a whole lot more than a single core these days. Even if they did use a single core processor in the new nexus tablet, most of the saving would come from dropping the screen's resolution anyway.
It is going to sell for only $99.00. If it does house a dual core processor I would be astonished.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:01 PM
General Audio Moderator

To cut costs they will most likely cut down to a 1 core processor and a tn panel. Making it pretty useless imo. Think of this, you will almost never have the on tn viewing angle on how a tablet is used so a tn panel is a no no.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Single core, low res, no microSD HC/XC card slot. This will in no way be an iPad/mini competitor. This is a throwaway device,...a waste of effort IMO. POS!!!

Old 10-20-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
It is going to sell for only $99.00. If it does house a dual core processor I would be astonished.
The newer Kindle fire with a 1024x600 IPS lcd display and a Texas Instruments Dual-core 1.2GHz OMAP4430 processor goes for $159. Google could go with a slightly cheaper duel-core processor like on the older kindle fires, cut a couple of corners here and there that most people wouldn't care about and you'll still have a pretty solid tablet. They can charge a $10 shipping to reduce the price tag even more even though you'd have to pay the same. To hit the $99 price point though they'll probably going to have to push more services on it (perhaps Android finally could finally have Google+ integrated with the default messenger app, message+) and/or just take a bigger hit on each unit. There's always the possibility that Google could convince a manufacture like Samsung to supply them the components at coast in order to strengthen Android tablet interest (which many manufactures would be interested in) saving another 5% or %10 coast.

With all these factors combined I think it's possible to see a nexus tablet sell at a $99 price point or at least $119 price point. Google has an opportunity to kick some Apple and Microsoft A*^$ and they should. If they were to have a Nexus tablet with a single core processor and a tn display it would bring down Google, Android and Nexus brand names. To me such a move would just be straight out stupid.

I think I remember saying something very similar to someone who thought that a quadcore Nexus tablet at $200 was not going to happen .

Last edited by nathan; 10-20-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
The newer Kindle fire with a 1024x600 IPS lcd display and a Texas Instruments Dual-core 1.2GHz OMAP4430 processor goes for $159. Google could go with a slightly cheaper duel-core processor like on the older kindle fires, cut a couple of corners here and there that most people wouldn't care about and you'll still have a pretty solid tablet. They can charge a $10 shipping to reduce the price tag even more even though you'd have to pay the same. To hit the $99 price point though they'll probably going to have to push more services on it (perhaps Android finally could finally have Google+ integrated with the default messenger app, message+) and/or just take a bigger hit on each unit. There's always the possibility that Google could convince a manufacture like Samsung to supply them the components at coast in order to strengthen Android tablet interest (which many manufactures would be interested in) saving another 5% or %10 coast.

With all these factors combined I think it's possible to see a nexus tablet sell at a $99 price point or at least $119 price point. Google has an opportunity to kick some Apple and Microsoft A*^$ and they should. If they were to have a Nexus tablet with a single core processor and a tn display it would bring down Google, Android and Nexus brand names. To me such a move would just be straight out stupid.

I think I remember saying something very similar to someone who thought that a quadcore Nexus tablet at $200 was not going to happen .
Not that sure if you're aware of this but Amazon stated that they are losing money on every Fire sold. They are counting on their books and electronic media for their profits. With that said, Amazon is selling their Fires below rock bottom, so I am not sure if a dual core processor would be possible for $99.00.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Below $100 would be a near-lock for people looking to enter the market, but being cost-concerned. If this came out this month or next, I can see it being a go-to hit for the December holidays.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:40 AM
Administrator

I'm thinking if this keeps up we're going to be seeing be lowball devices with lowball specs disappointing people the same way that happened with netbooks.

Everybody was racing to the bottom and starting putting out netbooks that were below spec for the simplest tasks. True, they didn't cost much but you also couldn't do a damn thing with them. You can only cut so many corners before overall performance takes an unacceptable hit.

I came across netbooks that couldn't play music and do simple word processing simultaneously. I dealt with some that froze for minutes if you tried to access the 'net and a virus scan started. Some makers were putting low end batteries in them and even lower quality screens. Most of the people that bought the low end devices like that probably would have been better served by saving a bit more and getting a laptop with at least semi decent specs.

There's a number of low priced android tablets out now. None of people I know that jumped on them because of price and iPad envy are happy when they find how limited they are in comparison. The slow processors, poor screens and limited memory can turn what should be a fun media device into a frustration. The audio quality on most of them I've heard is terrible to put it nicely. Trying to enjoy a movie or read a book on a low resolution screen can be a trial, not a recreational activity.

Initial cost shouldn't be the sole criteria in making every purchase. If there's a lower priced quality alternative, emphasis on quality, available I'd definitely say that's the way to go. If it's just a lower price and the quality is questionable I'd think that holding off until you can afford something that's worth having is a better choice.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Pfft!!! People might as well go to their local pharmacy & get one of those cheap crap Android tablets they sell off the discount rack. Really, this is getting pathetic.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Google should sell the current Nexus 7 at $99 even if they are loosing $100 on each one sold. Why? Because they can afford to and it might convince Apple that competing in the smaller tablet market (for $329+) is pointless. JMHO

Old 10-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd buy one then,...as a Nexus device performs wonderfully.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Pfft!!! People might as well go to their local pharmacy & get one of those cheap crap Android tablets they sell off the discount rack. Really, this is getting pathetic.
I looked at one in CVS the other day....I really hope not too many people get suckered in by those pieces of poo... :thumbdown:

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2