android
Old 10-22-2012, 06:16 PM

Default Is a firmware update necessary

Finally got my C2 (until then I was FatOldManWithAFuze+) and found the UI to be extremely unintuitive. The worst part was the browser windows followed closely by the Now Playing Screen. I liked the browser in the review by the Hulk Smash guy (BruceBanner) so I downloaded it with a different menu and NPS (not the vertical ones he has). It makes the C2 pretty much the easiest UI I have ever used. Now that I wrote a novella here I can get to my question. Since I was so excited to try out my C2, I loaded it and put on the custom UI before updating the firmware from the stock (1.12). Question is if I update will I have to reload the UI and my mp3s or is it really necessary to update the firmware if it works as is?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-23-2012, 07:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It's not always necessary, but it's usually recommended (unless the firmware update is broken). It can provide bug fixes, new features & enhancements, or just improve functionality.

About the UI, I'm really unsure right now. I'll reflash my D2's firmware this weekend when I have time,...so I won't know myself until then.

The final decision to upgrade the FW is up to the person.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatOldManWithAC2 View Post
Finally got my C2 (until then I was FatOldManWithAFuze+) and found the UI to be extremely unintuitive. The worst part was the browser windows followed closely by the Now Playing Screen. I liked the browser in the review by the Hulk Smash guy (BruceBanner) so I downloaded it with a different menu and NPS (not the vertical ones he has). It makes the C2 pretty much the easiest UI I have ever used. Now that I wrote a novella here I can get to my question. Since I was so excited to try out my C2, I loaded it and put on the custom UI before updating the firmware from the stock (1.12). Question is if I update will I have to reload the UI and my mp3s or is it really necessary to update the firmware if it works as is?
Hey fatty,

By the way i'm not in anyway affiliated with that Hulk Smash Guy, we're different members i think, i have always just been BruceBanner.
I can't really help u in regards to firmware, I think mine came with latest, or I did latest and then went the route of custom.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
It's not always necessary, but it's usually recommended (unless the firmware update is broken). It can provide bug fixes, new features & enhancements, or just improve functionality.

About the UI, I'm really unsure right now. I'll reflash my D2's firmware this weekend when I have time,...so I won't know myself until then.

The final decision to upgrade the FW is up to the person.
I agree with TDS here, normally I look at the change log to see if any of the fixes help any firmware issue I have. If they don’t I’m not in any rush to update it but eventually do update my firmware after reading others experience with it. If I’m an early adaptor I try to take note of any pluses or minuses to post for others to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Hey fatty,
lol
Quote:
By the way i'm not in anyway affiliated with that Hulk Smash Guy, we're different members i think, i have always just been BruceBanner.
This is news to me
Quote:
I can't really help u in regards to firmware, I think mine came with latest, or I did latest and then went the route of custom.
You have a good deal of experience with the C2 by now and custom themes, you should tell the OP a little more about them …

From Cowon's site, here is the change log for you:
Quote:
Cowon C2 Change Log:
*Fixed the error that library in browser was not updated after copying files into the internal memory when MicroSD card was inserted in the device.

*Fixed the error that bookmark and favorite lists were disappeared occasionally when MicroSD card was inserted in the device.

*Adjusted size and location of subtitles in TV-out option of Video mode.

*Fixed the error of repeating segment for video files which were shorter than 30 seconds in Video mode.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc