android
Old 10-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nish81 View Post
rather than make a new thread, I thought I'd ask my question here - I'm also trying to decide between the c2 and the x9. the c2 is smaller and looks easier to carry, which is a big plus for me, but I have 3 more concerns I was hoping someone could answer for me:
Although i own neither of the two devices (my c2 is on its way) I might be able to help a little lol.

Quote:
is there a maximum micro sd card size on either of the two players? (or can i put in a 64GB card and be happy)
I asked this question earlier elsewhere, Walkgood is pretty sure he has heard of some users getting 64gb cards to work, but u might need specific cards and formatting rules to get things happening. 32gb for sure is no issue. But The Dark Side points out that cowon devices often have 'number of file' limitations, i'm not sure if its 8000 or 12,000 file max on the c2. My 54gb collection comes to 11,000 files, so even if a 64gb can work, it might not work as you have more than 8000-12,000 files. If all yer collection is FLAC or 320kbps the chances are you might not have nearly this amount if files. FYI alot of players have number of file limitations, so its something to look into.

Quote:
is the battery life on the c2 at least around 25 hours in real world conditions?
I would expect so, but i do understand yer questioning. I managed to get 12hrs or so out of a clip+/zip, but in real term use was more like 6-7hrs (granted i liked brightness full, volume high and screen time off 10-15secs).
I would reckon 60% of the quoted to being a good approximate.

Quote:
and, is the sound quality on the c2 as good as on the x9?
Don't know, but i would be astonished if they are any different, certainly they both come with the same jeteffects version. I think anything past the D2 and S9 date tag has the newer version of jet effect, but i can't be 100% certain, someone more knowledgeable will be able to confirm.

Quote:
edit: also, ive read that the c2 has a kind of gimmicky UI compared to the d2 - is the x9's interface any better?
The c2 has quite a few custom made UI to overcome the stock one, so i'm looking forward to tinkering with that, to my knowledge the x9 has none so far (as its fairly new). I watched a youtube video on the x9, wasn't overly impressed or dissapointed, but it was a short vid.

thanks a lot! hope someone can help me out [/QUOTE]

If yer thinking about x9 you should also look into the newer A5, more info can be found here.

To summarise why i think the A5 would be better than the x9 would be the following points:

1) The official cowon site for it, its says "* Support for all types of audio output, including music, video, and fm radio." under the JetEffect 5 blurb. This means video will sound fantastic (or at least give you plenty of options to weak with video audio). I don't know if the x9 can do the same. This is by far the most important feature for me, all too often i have been disappointed by the audio in video playback <*cough*O2*cough*>, to actually have a decent on the go video playback feature is something very attractive to me.

2) A5 has Bluetooth, X9 doesn't

3) Flash memory for A5 is formatted NTFS, this means file transfers of video higher than 4gb can be done without issue. This also suggest that dragging and dropping of large 1080p unconverted files is handled well.

4) Better video support, its codec support seems very wide, again dragging and dropping of HD 720 and 1080p files seems possible, whether it plays them back ok is another matter.

5) higher res screen (although screen size is larger so that might not be so noticeable or even a plus).

6) running android. This means a root>google play market should be possible, which then really opens up the functionality of the player. Kindle ereader and other apps for running video (like Diceplayer, Mxplayer etc) should all be possible leading to a better overall chance of success in playing back video files properly and enhancing the overall PMPness of the device.

Granted the A5 is pricier but to me the X9 isn't cutting the grade for the PMP video playback side of things. Its another half arsed cowon attempt.
So i now see it like this, C2 vs A5, one is small and compact obviously intended for someone on the go, primarily for music, the other a 'train commuter' device giving more options for someone stationary.
Hope this helps.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
I managed to get 12hrs or so out of a clip+/zip, but in real term use was more like 6-7hrs (granted i liked brightness full, volume high and screen time off 10-15secs).
No wonder you only got 6-7 hours...lol.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
No wonder you only got 6-7 hours...lol.
Lol i'm blind as well as deaf

But seriously, alot of these claims of battery life are volume very low (even lower than Walkgoods ) and no interaction with the device whatsoever.
I can't stand not having a screen nice and bright if it can go that bright, and to have to compromise on such a basic feature to get you through a days worth of listening is a bit crappy. I live in Australia, is very bright here all year round, if using the device in well lit homes or outside you kinda have to have the brightness full. Its one of the reasons i rate the fuzev2 and i9 so much higher than the clip range as the increase in size ratio between the two vs the payoff in extra battery life and the ability to have brightness full and not worry about discharge throughout the day is well worth it.
I've said it before, the clip range is too small for the battery payoff, if it gave you 20hrs of real world use I wouldn't be saying this.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:47 PM

Thank you Bruce, great advice!

I'm not interested in video playback at all, so not interested in the A5; most points you listed seemed to be video-oriented. ended up buying the X9 based on your comparison with the C2, and other reviews I've read too; eagerly awaiting it

Old 10-05-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
… But seriously, alot of these claims of battery life are volume very low (even lower than Walkgoods ) and no interaction with the device whatsoever.
I live in FL and its bright here year round as well, while I don’t run my DAPs on full brightness, I attribute better than average battery life by not fiddling around with it much. I set what I like and listen to full albums and this works well for me. Occasionally I’ll run a DAP on shuffle but once set I allow screen to dim and just listen.

Quote:
I can't stand not having a screen nice and bright if it can go that bright, and to have to compromise on such a basic feature to get you through a days worth of listening is a bit crappy. …
Now I see where you get that “i'm blind as well as deaf.” lol

Quote:
… not worry about discharge throughout the day is well worth it.
Sounds like a personal problem, I imagine the wife don't like dat

Quote:
I've said it before, the clip range is too small for the battery payoff, if it gave you 20hrs of real world use I wouldn't be saying this.
I’ve gotten 15+ hours w/clip, not sure if still but it gets me thru the day the way I use it ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Could it be yer vastly lower listening volumes to mine attribute to yer longer battery life?
My volume on a rb clip would be sitting above 0 (but not always 6), brightness full, build a dynamic playlist, fiddle track change here and there, auto screen off 10-15secs, one button to bring screen on. I would get 8-9hrs approx.
Do u use an amp as well?

Old 10-05-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Could it be yer vastly lower listening volumes to mine attribute to yer longer battery life?
Everything attributes IMO

Quote:
brightness full, build a dynamic playlist, fiddle track change here and there, auto screen off 10-15secs, one button to bring screen on. I would get 8-9hrs approx.
I reduce brightness as much as possible and use shade to my advantage. No fiddling unless I’m showing off the fw to a friend. That said, 8 to 9 hours isn’t bad for how you are running it.

Quote:
Do u use an amp as well?
Not with the Clip, while I fool around with one once in a blue moon, not really as there’s no need.

I'm out the door now, see ya's later

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The brightness setting is probably 95% of what makes the difference, I think. But that volume above 0, holy crap...lol. Even with my Sennheiser PX90's, which are rather insensitive, 0 is pretty loud....and with any of my other headphones that would be ear-shattering loud.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm so doomed...

Old 10-15-2012, 08:53 PM

now that i've got the x9, 5 days later and it's refusing to mount on my damn PC. i dont have time for this crap, shoulda gone iPod

Old 10-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

well i'm pretty happy with my c2, wrote a review about it in the c2 forum

Old 10-22-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarzan View Post
Long time lurker; first-time poster here. If it speeds up the process to have an X9 sub-forum created, I want to state that I recently got an X9 myself. I also have a C2 as well; but I must say that it is awfully nice to have 32GB on board the device as well, even though there is an expansion slot.
Love the username! First time poster on the forum...excuse me for the ignorance to rules which I shall read this weekend.

How do you find the SQ of the two devices compare?

Thanks

Old 10-23-2014, 12:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmusic View Post
Love the username! First time poster on the forum...excuse me for the ignorance to rules which I shall read this weekend.

How do you find the SQ of the two devices compare?

Thanks
There is no difference between the sound quality on Cowon devices. C2 and X9 both sound the same, as does the i9+, M2 etc etc.

The ONLY thing that really changes any sound quality is that later (more recent versions) of Cowon players are released with later versions of BBE/Jet Effect. This in reality isn't a huge deal, it just means that there are a few more presets to choose from, that's all.

It's easier to think of all Cowon devices sounding the same, pick the one that suits yer needs the best.