android
Old 10-15-2012, 12:28 AM

Default New Clip+, much better screen

Hey guys,

Finally got around to start using my new C+ which I got a month ago. After I compared it to my older player, I realized the new one has a much better screen.

Now, I know there have been a few revisions of the C+ screens, but my 'older' player is only 8 months old and I'd expect they'd both be the same HW revision since I guess C+ is no longer in manufacture.

The screen of the new player is beautiful deep blue, while the older one is kinda washed out and bright. The yellow part looks the same. I don't think it's a case of a burned-out screen on the old one, it's too soon for that even with OLED I think... And I don't use the player all that much.

Did the C+ get a new screen just at the end of its life cycle or were my two previous Clips just some old stock? Anyone got a new C+ recently?

BTW from what I've read, the difference between the original two screen revisions is supposed to be the yellow part, not the blue part...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _cpp_screens.jpg (16.2 KB, 113 views)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-15-2012, 12:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

maybe the display brightness is turned up ?

Old 10-15-2012, 12:49 AM

No, all the settings is the same. When I fiddle with display contrast, the new one is still deeper blue.

BTW there are also mechanical differences. The back of the belt clip of the new player is more rough plastic. The power button sticks out a bit more and the headphone jack is INCREDIBLY stiff. I have to use significant force to push some jacks into it. Maybe just sample variation, but if I didn't know better, I'd think one of the players is fake

Old 10-15-2012, 04:52 AM
Administrator

You may have actually got a new version. What firmware version did it come with? When you say the plastic of the clip is rougher do you mean it seems thicker or sturdier?

I'm thinking this might be a new version related to the change in color listed here http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...2&postcount=70. Your observations along with the firmware update long after no one expected one to happen might mean a hardware change.

Last edited by skip252; 10-15-2012 at 10:55 AM.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:11 AM

It came with the latest firmware which was also surprising. The surface is less smooth, i.e. not as slippery. The material and build is the same as before. The control pad also seems to be like that but it's more obvious on the back of the clip.

Another difference: the FM chip is SI4700, while on my older player it's RDA5802.

According to Rockbox HW info, RDA5802 is actually supposed to be the new chip while older revisions should have SI4702 and the ZIP have the SI4703.

Either way the FM reception is better. My older c+ keeps 'clicking' on weak stations, the new one sounds clear.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Administrator

By latest firmware do you mean 01.02.18? That would seem to indicate is was made recently as that came out August of this year.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:44 AM

Yes, 01.02.18. Interesting, I thought the C+ was out of manufacturing since the zip was introduced. Maybe they're cheaper to make than the zip and still popular enough that it makes sense to keep manufacturing them.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Administrator

No telling why sandisk does what they do. I'd guess it's what you say. It's easier and less expensive to keep producing a proven winner. Parts acquisition, production and distribution should already be running smoothly with no need for expensive tweaks. For new colors just throw some coloring in the plastic.

Another factor would be they wouldn't need to do any more development for a new firmware. The Of isn't great but I like it a lot more than the one for the CZ. Adding enough to the Clip Zip UI to make it fully usable might be more than it's worth if it's not selling well.

If this is a sign that sandisk is continuing the Clip+ as is, I'm good with that. It's the one I grab most often when I'm heading out. I have a couple of them but they won't last forever. It would be nice to have one with a fresher battery available when one of these decides to die.

Especially one I can Rockbox.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Another factor would be they wouldn't need to do any more development for a new firmware. The Of isn't great but I like it a lot more than the one for the CZ. Adding enough to the Clip Zip UI to make it fully usable might be more than it's worth if it's not selling well.
Interesting....if i had to use the OF, I would prefer the Zip, because of the ability to hide the menu sections you don't use and the alphabet search. Do you prefer the Clip+ because of the whole thing with time elapsed/remaining on the screen? That has been a common complaint with the Zip, although it doesn't bother me.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Administrator

The additional info and familiarity are the biggest reasons I prefer the Clip+ in the OF. Not that I use the OF much on the Clip or the Clip Zip.

I don't miss the time elapsed and any other info that might be available. I generally know what's playing and if I need more info it's easy enough to pull that up. The adding enough part was largely in reference to the busted AAC decoder.

I know that doesn't mean much in here but if the Clip Zip isn't living up to it's potential in sales I believe that's a big reason why. They apparently realized that making a device that was compatible with iTunes files was important to boost sales. For whatever reason they didn't follow up by fixing the AAC decoder so that it worked properly.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Stupid Sandisk,...

Old 10-15-2012, 08:20 PM

Well I bought another C+ instead of a zip. Why? Mostly because C+ has a nice OLED screen (especially now). The zip has a sucky LCD screen. Yeah okay it can be considered better than the C+ screen. But compared to other similar players, the C+ screen is okay, while when the zip screen gets compared to other LCDs... put it next to a iPod Nano and it sucks.

I can very well imagine someone walking into a store shopping for a music player and seeing a C+. Hey, it's so tiny (turns it on) and what a nice blue screen! they'd say.

The same person seeing a zip: Hey it's so tiny (turns it on) wtf is this garbage?

In other words I'm not surprised if the C+ fares better in sales even for around the same price.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
The zip has a sucky LCD screen.
It appears to be OLED. http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaClip#Sansa_Clip_Zip.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

As a Canadian, I find this discussion fascinating. The Zip has been in US stores over a year now. It's been in Canadian stores a couple of months (OK 1 store - Future Shop) finally replacing the Clip+. So now, we'll have the Zip (but not the Clip+) while US stores have the Clip+ again? WOW

Oh and in the US Best Buy near us, the Clips are always (OK based on 2 visits) not on display. You have to bug an employee (I hate to call 'em salespeople) to get one out of the cupboard.

Steve

Old 10-16-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I know that doesn't mean much in here but if the Clip Zip isn't living up to it's potential in sales I believe that's a big reason why. They apparently realized that making a device that was compatible with iTunes files was important to boost sales. For whatever reason they didn't follow up by fixing the AAC decoder so that it worked properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Stupid Sandisk,...

Must be a case of optical-rectumitis. It's hard to see the big picture when your view is limited to this.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post

Must be a case of optical-rectumitis. It's hard to see the big picture when your view is limited to this.
We're fortunate to have the benefits of

and enjoy what these little suckers are really capable of!

Old 10-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Stupid Sandisk,...
This has me wondering. I'm not sure I might not be over thinking the best way to use a Clip Zip. I had it Rockboxed within a half hour of getting it and have never really used it the way sandisk expected it to be used out the box. I've popped into the OF to check something for a few hours but that's been it.

I'm really tempted to give that a shot for a few days. Kind of like a "as the artist intended" look at it. It can't be that bad...can it?

Old 10-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
This has me wondering. I'm not sure I might not be over thinking the best way to use a Clip Zip. I had it Rockboxed within a half hour of getting it and have never really used it the way sandisk expected it to be used out the box. I've popped into the OF to check something for a few hours but that's been it.

I'm really tempted to give that a shot for a few days. Kind of like a "as the artist intended" look at it. It can't be that bad...can it?
If you don't need EQ, or AAC compatibility, and can live with not-quite-true gapless, it's perfectly livable. (asides from having to deal with "refreshing your media" )
I had mine for a good three months, I think, before the first Rockbox builds started appearing....and I was using it equally as much as the Rockboxed Clip+ I still had. Sure, part if it was the "new-toy" factor. I hid the menus that I didn't use, like radio, books, sport, and voice....and that streamlined things nicely. I just didn't swap content very often....lol

Old 10-19-2012, 08:54 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I actually enjoy seeing the album art for when I'm in a car or on a ride somewhere. I use Clip+ when I'm out there jogging/snowboarding and I treat it pretty roughly. I've already Dremelled the clip on the back of the Clip+ off since it cracked.

I kinda like the Clip+ for reliability and Clip Zip for nice eye candy. They both function pretty well, but Clip+ seems a tad zippier (what an irony ) on OF since Clip Zip takes fraction of a second loading album art. The OF seems to be better on Clip Zip once you get used to it.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:08 AM

This is neat, prefering the Clip + because the Clip Zip's screen doesn't compare to Apple. I liked my Clip + until I ran it through the washer. I like the Zip better for the alpha bet menu and showing the album cover. I don't expect a great screen for something that's less than 40 bucks. It does the job and isn't fancy, just goes about it's work. The Apple screen is great, for what it costs it'd better be. Too bad that's the only thing that Apple can get better for over a hundred bucks above the price of the Zip.
I will say that I wish someone would come out with a player with the Creative Zens form factor. I loved my 32 gig Zen, it was the perfect size and the button placement was perfect. At least come out with a larger Zip (bad screen and all) so I won't keep misplacing it so easy.