android
Old 08-21-2012, 08:28 PM

you guys need to take a time warp over to xda developers or nexustablets.net

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-14-2012, 04:45 AM

The latest 4.1.2 update fixes the portrait orientation in the stock launcher plus a few other optimisations.

Am loving my nexus and am glad I didn't just buy an ipad, 16Gb is more than enough for my needs.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
The latest 4.1.2 update fixes the portrait orientation in the stock launcher plus a few other optimisations.

Am loving my nexus and am glad I didn't just buy an ipad, 16Gb is more than enough for my needs.
It wouldn't be for me. Thankfully, I'll have 16GB + a 32GB card on my tablet next week.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:53 AM

Well I only ever want to have about 2 films on there, which I delete after watching, plus I don't need or want to store any music files.

Am glad I went with the nexus as I use Google Now a lot on my phone and now my tablet.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:59 AM
Administrator

I haven't been keeping up to speed on this and what I'm finding after what you and saratoga said over here http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...d.php?p=623449 this is starting to look interesting.

Possibly dumb question from someone just starting to look at a mountain of new info. Does USBOTG require rooting? Or it just the right cable and app and go?

Old 10-14-2012, 10:48 AM

You need one of these: http://www.amazon.com/USB-Micro-Fema.../dp/B0023FTRUO

I haven't tried it, but apparently it does work with rooting, although not quite so straight-forward as a Nokia phone which supports USBOTG.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2273962

Old 10-14-2012, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the info. I've been looking at the different Android forums since I posted that and getting pretty much the same thing. The more I research this the more I'm liking the concept. As long as I can access external storage using USBOTG I won't really need much internal storage. If I'm willing to sync at home or when I'm in a hotspot I won't even need to do that. Sweet

The Android forums remind me of when I first came here looking for more info on Rockbox on the sansa E200 DAPs. The idea of taking a device that has decent specs and opening out it's possibilities was the idea then and this seems to be an extension of that.

I'm liking where this is heading. I'm not ready to jump in yet but I'm definitely going to keep researching the possibilities.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:07 PM

I would wait until the Nexus 7 comes down in price which it might possibly do before Christmas with the introduction of a 32gb version.

I was lucky and got 20% off my one because it was a store demo, although it had hardly been used, it hadn't even been set up with any apps.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Possibly dumb question from someone just starting to look at a mountain of new info. Does USBOTG require rooting? Or it just the right cable and app and go?
I think theres now an app that can do it without rooting, but its not that big of a deal. The Nexus 7 ships completely unlocked, its basically like a PC that you own rather than a phone that the carrier rents you. Giving yourself root is simple and probably something you should do regardless. Even if you don't want to use OTG, rooting lets you do things like increase the clock speed (the N7 ships clocked lower than other tegra 3 tablets), back up apps to the PC, tweak the UI or install third party ROMs.

----

FWIW, I would ask yourself pretty carefully what you want to do with more than 16GB (or 32GB if you buy that new model thats apparently launching). IME tablets are basically good for web stuff and not much else. Once you disconnect them from the internet they're not that great and often a laptop is much more useful. If you plan to use a tablet a lot away from the internet, you might want to get one with 3G or even a laptop instead.

IMO the N7 is so great because its so cheap. You can easily get 200 dollars worth of use out of it, in spite of tablets in general not being as useful I'd like.