android
Old 10-12-2012, 02:07 PM

Default Clip + upgrade to Clip Zip + ?

Recently lost my Clip + with 32 gb card and was looking to replace it. I had put Rockbox on it and was extremely satisfied with it for when I work out.

I can either buy a replacement Clip + for $30 or get the upgraded Clip Zip model for $38.

I'm assuming its just best to pay the $8 more for newer model and new technology but I have no use for the color screen.

Last edited by Ctrix; 10-12-2012 at 07:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you plan to Rockbox, either one is a great little player.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Administrator

My advice is to get the one that's least expensive and easiest to get. The screen hasn't made enough of a difference for me to pay extra for the Clip Zip.

The only new technology I know for sure is the screen. Everything else performs pretty much the same on both my Clip+ and Clip Zip. I do sometimes get a slightly faster transfer time over USB but not consistently enough to convince me the transfer speed is across the board better. If you use a card reader to load the card that wouldn't make a difference.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrix View Post
What do you all think?
Both are excellent when rockboxed.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrix View Post
but I have no use for the color screen or FM tuner. What do you all think?
I prefer the control pad shape of the Clip+ over the Clip Zip. It's not "throw the Zip in the garbage" bad.

Without going to get my Clip+ from upstairs, I think it has an FM tuner that I don't use. Or is this some kind of Rockbox difference?

Steve

Old 10-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
I prefer the control pad shape of the Clip+ over the Clip Zip. It's not "throw the Zip in the garbage" bad.

Without going to get my Clip+ from upstairs, I think it has an FM tuner that I don't use. Or is this some kind of Rockbox difference?

Steve
Yes, they both have FM tuners. I don't use it either.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:45 PM

You are right- they both have FM tuners. I don't use it either.

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm just going to get the Clip + again because it doesn't seem like the Clip Zip is worth the additional $ in my situation.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:22 PM

I wouldn't necessarily call the Zip an "upgrade" over the Plus, although speaking of FM, the Plus model (some of them anyway) had/has lousy reception and sometimes tend to drift off station.

Additionally, the Zip FM radio has RDS (or RBDS) which is nice (when it works) as it displays the radio station's call letters and scrolls the artist and name of the tune playing, provided of course the station is broadcasting it and whoever typed it into whatever it is that broadcasts it got it right.

Hmmm . . . I guess maybe it IS a "slight" upgrade after all.

I tend to prefer the Clip+'s keypad layout to that on the Zip too, but to each his own. The Zip's color screen does indeed suck long & hard though.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
I wouldn't necessarily call the Zip an "upgrade" over the Plus, although speaking of FM, the Plus model (some of them anyway) had/has lousy reception and sometimes tend to drift off station.

Additionally, the Zip FM radio has RDS (or RBDS) which is nice (when it works) as it displays the radio station's call letters and scrolls the artist and name of the tune playing, provided of course the station is broadcasting it and whoever typed it into whatever it is that broadcasts it got it right.

I tend to prefer the Clip+'s keypad layout to that on the Zip too, but to each his own. The Zip's color screen does indeed suck long & hard though.
The screen isn't bad with the theme I use most of the time....it looks remarkably like the Clip+ then.
http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?...t=sansaclipzip

Old 10-12-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
The screen isn't bad with the theme I use most of the time....it looks remarkably like the Clip+ then.
http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?...t=sansaclipzip
Kinda defeats the advantage of the full color screen if the theme is written to use just yellow and blue like the Plus though, doesn't it?

Old 10-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Administrator

It's not like you're going to watching a lot of videos on it. You can, but you have to really, and I mean REALLY, desperate for video entertainment.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Kinda defeats the advantage of the full color screen if the theme is written to use just yellow and blue like the Plus though, doesn't it?
Yes, but given the size of the screen, most of the time I would just as soon have the info there instead of album art. There are some themes with some color that I use every once in a while when I want to change things up.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just play DooM with Rockbox!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHBUA!!!!!

Old 10-14-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:

I've asked this before, but didn't get a definite response. I do use FM a lot, I have the clip+ which does drift, although it seems to settle down after a while. Is the FM on the zip a sufficient improvement to warrant an upgrade?

I've never used Rockbox, but might look into it.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave61430 View Post
I've asked this before, but didn't get a definite response. I do use FM a lot, I have the clip+ which does drift, although it seems to settle down after a while. Is the FM on the zip a sufficient improvement to warrant an upgrade?
As far as reception, I believe it's better. But I'm only going off what others have posted about their experiences mostly over on the SpamDisk forum. The only complaints I've read have been regarding the RDS not working correctly in parts of the UK and Europe, but that could be on the transmitting end and not the fault of the player.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapeworm View Post
over on the spamdisk forum.
6c2ba386.giflol2.giflol-034.giflolz.gif