android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone

Old 10-08-2012, 11:37 AM

Default What the heck is Netflix doing with their Android mobile app???

Has anyone seen the recent revisions to Netflix mobile app on Android?
They have made the front end very centered around large icons/graphics of each movie. It takes a great deal of time to load the page, and finger swipes, etc, take forever to "register". There are huge delays/non-synch with audio and video especially when first starting to view. This list of negative reviews on the GooglePlay marketplace is overwhelming. Seemingly hundreds and hundreds of one-star reviews in the past month. It's like they just redesigned everything assuming that everyone was plugging their smartphones directly into a fiber-optic trunk. It seems to demand at least 2-3 times the bandwidth that it used to use.

What the heck is going on? Has anyone heard why the "upgrade" has been such a huge disaster? I don't see anything on Netflix home page and cannot get an email or chat with Help either. I'm thinking of dropping my streaming account, and apparently many, many other subscribers feel the same way.

Update: I called Netflix customer service and the guy was nice enough but told me this was a connectivity problem and I should unload and re-load the app. I told him this was NOT just a connectivity problem. Netflix has re-shaped their app and it is not good. I said he should review the hundreds of one-star reviews on GooglePlay. So Netflix effectively denies there's a problem despite 99% of the GooglePlay reviews in the past month being one-star!

Second update: I decided to uninstall and re-install. That was a mistake. Now I get the familiar red screen, then white screen of death, and that's all folks. Dead. Called Netflix help again and told them I would be pulling the plug on them next week if this did not get resolved. He said that they have had a lot of complaints on this. The tech guys redesigned the app so that it requires tremendous bandwidth and will not work on 3G or maybe even 4G. I told him that I was having all my issues on good wifi! So, Netflix has really pooched the pooch on this one. And I'm about to be a non-subscriber.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited by Blackdog; 10-08-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

not to the extent you are. I have used mine on 3g and 4g successfully with my sg3. just fired it up to test. worst complain is the load time for the first screen and occasional slow downs as it caches the next set of covers. but it plays fine. watching arrested development right now.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:59 PM

I did get it to load finally, but it's using so much bandwidth to get those big hi-res images displaying, that it takes about a minute to start loading the front page, and it's still loading it, of course, as I start my first swipe...so that registers about 30 seconds afterwards. It's effectively impossible to navigate the front page to even select what you want to watch.

It's like they just assumed "hey, we're remaking this app completely for S3 and HTC1X users who are on 4G or wifi." Fast hardware, current generation android with fast connectivity. that's it. Jeeze, guys, you 're probably talking about 5% of the users...what about everyone else?

I'm on Gingerbread with good wifi...so no Netflix for me. They're going to find themselves with a lot of ex-customers from the looks of things. I give it another week, then I'm quitting.
Sorry for the big rant. Seems like a big issue but maybe Netflix just doesn't care. :Shrug.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Redneck Moderator

My phone is 2.2 version and when i first installed netflix about 1.5 months ago it seemed to work good. it even worked good on my commute which i did not expect. now i cant get it to play a damned thing on the way to work. and the other night it drained my battery so quickly that it reached 122 + f.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Last edited by Syndrome; 10-08-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:56 AM

That's what I'm talking about.
I don't get this; Netflix is one of the biggest paid-service apps with millions of users, and nobody is talking about what a disastrous failure this is. This isn't a free app and "hwat can you expect"...this is one of the major players in paid media and this is what is going on. Netflix is not officially acknowledging that there's any issue beyond our own "connectivity" problems.

Go check the reviews on GooglePlay. I've never seen anything like it.