android
Old 09-29-2012, 12:58 PM

People on this site are, I think, a minority who really care about cards and card slots.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
People on this site are, I think, a minority who really care about cards and card slots.
Which matters to us (the people on this site) how? Should I no longer care about expandable storage because less that 50% of the general population cares about it? That's more of an iLounge mentality...

Old 09-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm complacent when the capacity hits 64gb, at a reasonable cost. I find it rediculous to be required to import the 64gb model at an extremely high cost. That's why I'm always pissed at Sony - I want a locally released 64gb player from them. I want the ability to get a WARRANTY on the device. Plus, I don't want to spend tons of $$$ just for the cost of importation.

Sony, why hath thou forsaken us???

And I wouldn't mind having a micro sdhc/xc card slot. As long as the tunes can be used in my playlists together,...a problem when it comes to int+ext memory.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
I probably wouldn't buy a device under 32GB that didn't have a card slot. 64GB and above, no slot required.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:43 PM

I agree and second everything TDS has posted!!!

All I ever want in a DAP was a Sony 64 GB player for the past 5 years. I don't want an slot. I don't care for Android/Games/Video/Touch Screen or anything else but would tolerate a Sony device if it was 64 GB. It is because of this flawed logic, I have not purchased any Sony products in all that time in protest. I know many may not share my view or may see a bit extreme. I am fed up with American Sony consumers treat like red-headed step children.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Administrator

I keep seeing that Sony not selling high capacity players in the US is part of a flawed sales strategy. I'm thinking the people at Sony have done the numbers and decided trying to go against Apple with large capacity players in the US isn't going to work.

The questions that come to my mind are, how much would a 64 GB player cost? If that cost approaches the price of a 64 GB touch how many people are going to buy a Sony instead of the Touch? If those number didn't come out right they wouldn't try to market a large capacity player in the US.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Bro, a 64gb Sony - Android or not - would sell like WILDFIRE!!! Sony are COWARDS IMO!!!

Old 09-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Spotify, Rhapsody, iTunes Match, Pandora, Google Play, Zune Marketplace, Amazon Cloud Drive, Sony Music Unlimited...see where I'm going with this? Ten bucks a month or less and you can access millions of songs anytime you can connect to the 'net. Heck, I know people that wouldn't know a gigabyte if it bit them that stream their music from home to their phone using easy to install apps.

The greatest majority of people I know have headed in this direction and given up the idea of having massive on board storage. The 8 GB on their phone is more than they usually use. I won't say the people I know are representative of all music listeners but the last few times I asked someone about a mp3 player they pulled out their phone. A couple of years ago that would have been an iPod.

I don't know how many thousands of sales it would take for Sony to make a profit on high capacity DAPs and PMPs but it wouldn't be a small number. Getting any big box chain to carry a DAP or PMP that costs several hundred dollars would be tough, if you could arrange that at all. Supply lines have to be set up months in advance. Just the changes to shipping and in store security would probably be enough to not make it worthwhile for any major retailer.

I'm not making excuses for Sony. I'm just saying what I see happening in around me. It seems they should be able to create an pipeline through their online stores for those players you can't buy in the brick and mortar stores. They would probably have to charge a hefty premium and limit returns. There may be some type of regulatory barrier or they just don't have vision to see how they could jump start sales in other areas, idk.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:25 AM

I just wish they wold offer the e-series at 32gb. 16gb just isn't enough. Once a player hits 32gb though i really don't care about card slot

Old 09-30-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Spotify, Rhapsody, iTunes Match, Pandora, Google Play, Zune Marketplace, Amazon Cloud Drive, Sony Music Unlimited...see where I'm going with this? Ten bucks a month or less and you can access millions of songs anytime you can connect to the 'net. Heck, I know people that wouldn't know a gigabyte if it bit them that stream their music from home to their phone using easy to install apps.

The greatest majority of people I know have headed in this direction and given up the idea of having massive on board storage. The 8 GB on their phone is more than they usually use. I won't say the people I know are representative of all music listeners but the last few times I asked someone about a mp3 player they pulled out their phone. A couple of years ago that would have been an iPod.

I don't know how many thousands of sales it would take for Sony to make a profit on high capacity DAPs and PMPs but it wouldn't be a small number. Getting any big box chain to carry a DAP or PMP that costs several hundred dollars would be tough, if you could arrange that at all. Supply lines have to be set up months in advance. Just the changes to shipping and in store security would probably be enough to not make it worthwhile for any major retailer.

I'm not making excuses for Sony. I'm just saying what I see happening in around me. It seems they should be able to create an pipeline through their online stores for those players you can't buy in the brick and mortar stores. They would probably have to charge a hefty premium and limit returns. There may be some type of regulatory barrier or they just don't have vision to see how they could jump start sales in other areas, idk.

You make some valid arguments here.

Not everyone wants or haves access to wireless 24/7 or to depend it for music. For some, they live in rural areas and other is dense buildings where the is no signal.

While many enjoy the pablum to 40 music....I don't. Most people enjoy listening to the radio for music and the music collections reflect these statements. I don't fall in that category. Many love their 128 kbs bit rates and have collections that wouldn't fill 16GB. The sound on their phones works for them. I am cool with that. Just as most people can find shoes that fit and can walk into any store to buy them. There are some will large music collections and or higher bit rates that require an size 18 shoe or a wider or narrower fit. These requirements cost more but there is a market for them because people need them.

Sony has repetitively punch themselves in their collective nut sack over and over with decisions on what they produce. I get that Sony is a mega record company. They make lots of money selling pablum to the masses via their bazaar/flea market, radio and films. Making a small capacity player from this view point makes sense. Who really keeps flavor of the day, like that around for years, really? Sure you may a few songs but not all of them from purchases from years past or want to listen to them for that matter or necessary put them on your player.

The idea of frying my nuts over repetitive or extends use is a concern for me not to mention the shorter battery life of these type of devices.(wireless) All in one devices are convenient for many and sure you can skin a buck or kill with a Swiss Army knife but as a heavy/serious user I'd rather have a single use tool to do the job right.

How hard is it really other than a few sheckles on Sony's end to put in a 64GB over a 16 GB? Distribution,come on. Where can you go to buy electronics that doesn't sell at least one Sony product? Nah, Sony has the capital but after repetitive blows to the nuts. They either can't get up or have the stones to get back up to deliver to their potential.

Un-Cool is the new Cool

Old 09-30-2012, 09:12 PM

If 32gb of internal memory costs Sony less than $15 each yet they sell the 64gb version for $50-$100 more than 32gb version then that's more than 300%-650% extra profit they make. Thus it is flawed that Sony don't sell the 64gb version in the U.S.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

They want you to buy the 32GB one now, then in a year or so when they release the 64 GB one in the US, they will want you to buy that as well. They don't want people to buy the 64GB one without first buying the 32GB one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
I just wish they wold offer the e-series at 32gb. 16gb just isn't enough. Once a player hits 32gb though i really don't care about card slot
Perhaps in a year or two you will say that you don't care about a card slot as long as the player has at least 64GB built in, then a year or two after that you will say you don't care about a card slot as long as the player has at least 128GB built in?

Last edited by skip252; 10-01-2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: posts merged, please edit instead of adding a second thought 4 minutes later

Old 10-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Perhaps in a year or two you will say that you don't care about a card slot as long as the player has at least 64GB built in, then a year or two after that you will say you don't care about a card slot as long as the player has at least 128GB built in?
+1, although the way things are going, we'll be lucky to have stand alone mp3 players in the future :/

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-04-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
+1, although the way things are going, we'll be lucky to have stand alone mp3 players in the future :/
I'm waiting for the 64GB. I would have gone for a 32GB if it has a card slot. But to your point, Walkgood, one of the reason I am getting a F series is exactly because of this: I don't believe dedicated players have long to live, unless they are the inexpensive kind to use when you're out and about jogging (i.e. where you don't want to destroy your phone).

What surprises me most with Sony though is that they have not release a dedicated 7" Android tablet dedicared to media consumption - like the galaxy 7.7 of the Nexus tablet; leveraging their know how in the audio / video space. I fear if they do, they would not integrate the amp technology. After all it's not in their 9" version...

Although Samsung are all over the place, I think they have the right attitude here, since at least they are capable of testing the market appropriately. I'd be all over a 7" high capacity tablet with decent sound capabilities.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:04 PM

Personally I just bought the F series 32GB model from the local Sony store today and I have to say I am impressed with it. The device works flawlessly and the speed and flexible response to the touch screen is full win. I love my new Walkman (still own my 16gb A series model).

It does feel like a mini tablet for sure. And the sound quality is insane. Top it off with android 4.0 and you have a complete device with accessible and endless entertainment. The moderators should make the F series its own page. I am sure many people are just getting their hands on one.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globiboulga View Post
I'm waiting for the 64GB. I would have gone for a 32GB if it has a card slot. But to your point, Walkgood, one of the reason I am getting a F series is exactly because of this: I don't believe dedicated players have long to live, unless they are the inexpensive kind to use when you're out and about jogging (i.e. where you don't want to destroy your phone).

What surprises me most with Sony though is that they have not release a dedicated 7" Android tablet dedicared to media consumption - like the galaxy 7.7 of the Nexus tablet; leveraging their know how in the audio / video space. I fear if they do, they would not integrate the amp technology. After all it's not in their 9" version...

Although Samsung are all over the place, I think they have the right attitude here, since at least they are capable of testing the market appropriately. I'd be all over a 7" high capacity tablet with decent sound capabilities.
man if they could make a tablet that would play all my purchased videos work on ps3 as well as make my ps3 controller sync to a tablet easily and play all those downloadable games i would buy one instantly. would be great to throw in my backpack put up a stand and play some real games on the plane. i do have a vita though

Old 11-30-2012, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
It probably sounds better. The Sony A867 I had sounds much better than the SGP 5.0.
Old post, I know, but where did you get the 64 GB A series? I thought the A series looked great but I could never figure out where to buy it (I live in America by the way). My J3 recently died on me and I'm trying to find a decent sounding player. I just got a Samsung Galaxy player 4.0 but I can't fix the sound quality no matter what I try, so I'm sending it back. Looking at a Sony F series at the moment.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by av399 View Post
Old post, I know, but where did you get the 64 GB A series? I thought the A series looked great but I could never figure out where to buy it (I live in America by the way). My J3 recently died on me and I'm trying to find a decent sounding player. I just got a Samsung Galaxy player 4.0 but I can't fix the sound quality no matter what I try, so I'm sending it back. Looking at a Sony F series at the moment.
I had bought it from somebody who had arranged somehow to get a Euro unit over here. I never knew how that had come about.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:54 AM

Does the SONY NWZF806BLK have built in speakers?