android
Old 09-22-2012, 05:53 PM

Default i9 or i10

Looking at getting another Cowon after my i7 broke, but got a limit of £150. Can get 16GB i9 new for £80, and 16GB i10 for about £145 - is the price increase for the i10 worth it? Is there any chance of getting the s9 or J3 for that price, do you think?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-22-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spliffy View Post
Looking at getting another Cowon after my i7 broke …
Can it be fixed? If not, you could sell for parts or gift it to another for parts.

Quote:
… got a limit of £150. Can get 16GB i9 new for £80, and 16GB i10 for about £145 - is the price increase for the i10 worth it?
Which do you prefer? Personally I’d get the less expensive one but you on the other hand might want the latest one, only you can tell for sure.

Quote:
… Is there any chance of getting the s9 or J3 for that price, do you think?
Only if you find used or refurb but doubtful, at least with the J3 as it’s price has really gone up even used … BTW the i10 is like the s9 IMO.

Edit: BTW just noticed you are a new member, welcome to abi

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 09-22-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Can it be fixed? If not, you could sell for parts or gift it to another for parts.
Doubtful. First the menu button wouldn't press, then the power switch went loose, and now it doesn't seem to register being charged (although I can't tell since I can't switch it on!). If it's unfixable, I would be happy to pass it on if it could help somebody else.

Quote:
Which do you prefer? Personally I’d get the less expensive one but you on the other hand might want the latest one, only you can tell for sure.
It seems like the i10 has a better interface and better battery life, but not £70 worth. Never bothered by having the latest one, and not particularly bothered by the interface - if I was, probably wouldn't bother with cowon at all!

Quote:
Only if you find used or refurb but doubtful, at least with the J3 as it’s price has really gone up even used … BTW the i10 is like the s9 IMO.
In what way? I do find it hard to believe that each mp3 player's audio quality is so much better than the last, and I think s9, i10 and i9 all have BBE+ so would've thought they'd be all be much of muchness, but everyone seems to swear by the s9.

Quote:
Edit: BTW just noticed you are a new member, welcome to abi
Thanks very much! Attracted by the name, sold by this sub-forum!

Old 09-23-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Doubtful. First the menu button wouldn't press, then the power switch went loose, and now it doesn't seem to register being charged …
Sad to hear, I still love my i7, hope it lasts a few more years …

Quote:
It seems like the i10 has a better interface and better battery life, but not £70 worth. Never bothered by having the latest one, and not particularly bothered by the interface - if I was, probably wouldn't bother with cowon at all!
AFAIK none of the cowon UI’s are very intuitive so I’d still go with the less expensive one.

Quote:
In what way? I do find it hard to believe that each mp3 player's audio quality is so much better than the last, and I think s9, i10 and i9 all have BBE+ so would've thought they'd be all be much of muchness, but everyone seems to swear by the s9.
Maybe you misunderstood me, IMO all cowon’s sound the same. The most important change you’ll notice over the i7 is that players after it should all be gapless They also added JetEffects 3.0 which allows you to have 4 user-defined presets (you customize them), a slew of new presets (like BBE ViVA, BBE ViVA 2, etc, etc, IIRC like 35+ effects), I think the rest of the enhancements are the same as the i7 has.

Quote:
Thanks very much! Attracted by the name, sold by this sub-forum!
No problemo, enjoy … you might also enjoy our sister site iAudiophile which is all about cowon players, you can see the i9 forum here or the i10 forum here. They also have a j3 and s9 forums but I think you'll find your way around fine

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-26-2012, 04:01 PM

Well my Cowon i9 started off all well and good. Disappointing battery life, even ignoring my previous player being the i7, but about a month in, it got a digital crack. Thankfully managed to return it with full refund, but definitely disappointed following my love affair with the i7.

Was looking at i10, as what I can afford has gone up a bit, but still not convinced by it. Sound comes first, then battery life and size, so any recommendations would be gratefully received.

Was thinking of Colorfly C3. Looks a bit bulky and average battery life, but seems to be rated for audio quality.

Last edited by Spliffy; 11-26-2012 at 04:06 PM.