android
Old 09-20-2012, 04:50 PM

Default Need really short 3.5mm cable

Current planning on getting a Clip Zip and using my Fiio E6 portable amplifier with it, they will be physically (double sided tape?) connected to each other, so I need to find a really short (maybe a few inches) 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Here is a non-stupidly expensive 10 cm (3.94 in) interconnect cable for that purpose.

Also, a general word of advice: For your sake -- and that of the collective human intelligence -- please don't fall for the ploy of believing, against all science and reason, that wallet-busting cables perform perceptibly better than adequately crafted cheap ones.

Last edited by epithetless; 09-20-2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Oops...millimeters are not centimeters...

Old 09-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Fiio makes a 4 inch 3.5 mm interconnect for around $10. They're fairly easy to find. Try Amazon.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Here is a non-stupidly expensive 10 mm (3.94 in) interconnect cable for that purpose.

Also, a general word of advice: For your sake -- and that of the collective human intelligence -- please don't fall for the ploy of believing, against all science and reason, that wallet-busting cables perform perceptibly better than adequately crafted cheap ones.
To me a bargain cable is just fine.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:21 PM

1- The Zip has a higher than average max output (15 or 16 mW, same as the E6...)
2- The Zip has a crazy low output impedance (1 Ohm)
1+2 => you definitely DO NOT NEED an amp, its that simple (unless u want to rock some very hard to drive headphones, but in this case the E6 will be too weak...)
Believe me... I own both the Zip and the E6, and have tried a lot of different settings...

Edit: the Zip's headphones output is one of the highest calibre

Last edited by Hairspray; 09-20-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

In addition to the FiiO L2 I linked to earlier, it looks like FiiO makes the slightly shorter (7 mm/2.75 in) L8, which has two right-angle plugs instead of the L2's straight plugs. Both cables can be found on Amazon, as skip252 suggested.

But Hairspray does raise a valuable point...

Old 09-20-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairspray View Post
... you definitely DO NOT NEED an amp, its that simple (unless u want to rock some very hard to drive headphones, but in this case the E6 will be too weak...) ...
+1, IMHO no need for an amp on a clip, defeats the beautiful smallness and it can drive some fairly high ohm phones to more than acceptable levels. That said if you're determined to amp and if you solder they're one of the easiest cables to make. You can make some really short custom IC cables, look thru this thread to get some ideas.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Administrator

I understand Hairspray's concern but the fact is Tacoboy already has a couple of amps. I can't see what it would hurt for them to try listening amped and unamped then making a decision which they prefer.

I have the Sony V6-Clip combo they're planning on using and there's no need for amping the setup to my ears but Tacoboy may not agree. Once they listen for themselves they may decide they want a higher volume level than what I find comfortable.

I'd be careful listening at a volume levels that loud regularly though. The Clip-Sony V6 may not be the loudest combo around but it definitely cranks loud enough to damage your hearing if you listen too long at the volume levels it can produce.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
… the fact is Tacoboy already has a couple of amps. I can't see what it would hurt for them to try listening amped and unamped …
I also have a few amps and have occasionally connected one of my Clips but never more than a day or two. I basically agree with Hairspray's points because for my needs an amp is not needed and adding bulk to the clip defeats its smallness for my use. Although if one owns an amp by all means you should pair your amp with each player you own to test the set up. This way you can hear how you like the performance with/without re-amping the signal to see if you really need it with the clip. Although I wouldn't recommend going out and buying a portable amp to dedicate to a Sansa clip.

*Now keep an eye out for a clip/amp combo picture in the "show off your gear" thread soon

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I own a few amps myself, and I do most of my listening without them. The clip+ & clipzip are pretty much loud enough.

But, amp away if you feel the need!!! As a great guy once told me "We amp because we CAN!!!".

Old 09-20-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
I understand Hairspray's concern but the fact is Tacoboy already has a couple of amps. I can't see what it would hurt for them to try listening amped and unamped then making a decision which they prefer.

I have the Sony V6-Clip combo they're planning on using and there's no need for amping the setup to my ears but Tacoboy may not agree. Once they listen for themselves they may decide they want a higher volume level than what I find comfortable.

I'd be careful listening at a volume levels that loud regularly though. The Clip-Sony V6 may not be the loudest combo around but it definitely cranks loud enough to damage your hearing if you listen too long at the volume levels it can produce.
If it can "crank loud enough to damage hearing", then I do not need to use my E6 with the Clip Zip (might experiment just a little).

Old 09-20-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I'd give that setup a shot without the amp. I have the Sony MDR-V6 and use them with my Clips without an amp. It takes a couple more bumps in volume to get them to a satisfying level but I don't need an amp to get them loud enough. It's not the loudest setup I have but I don't get anywhere near maxing the volume before it gets to hearing damage levels.
One person had said that the Clip Zip is not powerful enough to drive the MDR-V6s (62-Ohm) well eoungh, but the other 10 people say it is. So I believe the ten over the one.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I tried the Sony V6 with my Clip+. It works, but the volume setting on the player needs to be very close to maximum to get decent volume, and the headphone sounds a bit constrained, when used this way without an amp. While it works, it doesn't seem optimal.

I guess it really depends how loud your music is. Some newer CDs are recorded at much higher levels than older ones.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
1- The Zip has a higher than average max output (15 or 16 mW, same as the E6...)
It's definitely not the same as the E6. The E6 is certainly more powerful than the Zip. I own them both, and here's the measurements of the E6....

From http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/11/fiio-e6-amp.html

Quote:
2- The Zip has a crazy low output impedance (1 Ohm)
True!
Quote:
1+2 => you definitely DO NOT NEED an amp, its that simple
That can be debated, I think....we don't know how loud Tacoboy likes to listen, or what headphones he plans to use.
Quote:
(unless u want to rock some very hard to drive headphones, but in this case the E6 will be too weak...)
As I pointed out above, it's got more power than you think it does.
Quote:
Believe me... I own both the Zip and the E6, and have tried a lot of different settings...
So do I.
Quote:
Edit: the Zip's headphones output is one of the highest calibre
No question there....it is a very fine output. Maybe it will be enough for Tacoboy without the amp, maybe not...he's got options, and that's a beautiful thing.

To Tacoboy....the optimum way to use the E6 with the Zip is to have the Zip volume nearly at the max (if you're running Rockbox, set the volume at 0db) and control your volume with the amp. Happy listening! (whether you use the E6 or not)

Old 09-21-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
It's definitely not the same as the E6. The E6 is certainly more powerful than the Zip. I own them both, and here's the measurements of the E6....

From http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/11/fiio-e6-amp.html

True!

That can be debated, I think....we don't know how loud Tacoboy likes to listen, or what headphones he plans to use.

As I pointed out above, it's got more power than you think it does.

So do I.

No question there....it is a very fine output. Maybe it will be enough for Tacoboy without the amp, maybe not...he's got options, and that's a beautiful thing.

To Tacoboy....the optimum way to use the E6 with the Zip is to have the Zip volume nearly at the max (if you're running Rockbox, set the volume at 0db) and control your volume with the amp. Happy listening! (whether you use the E6 or not)
I own about 12 headphones, ranging from 32-Ohm to 600-Ohm, guess I'll have to experiment.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
I tried the Sony V6 with my Clip+. It works, but the volume setting on the player needs to be very close to maximum to get decent volume, and the headphone sounds a bit constrained, when used this way without an amp. While it works, it doesn't seem optimal.

I guess it really depends how loud your music is. Some newer CDs are recorded at much higher levels than older ones.
ReplayGain cures that.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:

Didn't get enough when you brought that "constrained" crap into the discussion last time, hm? http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...5&postcount=10

Tacoboy, you'll want to take the jump into that full thread. Your ears will be the final judge but you'll read the opinion of others that own the Sony V6.

---I've moved some of the discussion about using a amp with the Clip Zip and the Sony V6 from the Clip Zip review thread to here. No need to have the same thing being discussed in separate threads.---

Last edited by skip252; 09-21-2012 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Thread unification

Old 09-21-2012, 04:03 AM

At 300 ohms, the FiiO E6 has 16 mW output power
http://fiio.com.cn/product/index.asp...&MenuID=020301
Sansa's site says that the Zip has 16 mW output power as well (ohms?).
So?

Old 09-21-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:

JK98, we have already explained to you, many times, why you are wrong. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=59684.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
At 300 ohms, the FiiO E6 has 16 mW output power
http://fiio.com.cn/product/index.asp...&MenuID=020301
Sansa's site says that the Zip has 16 mW output power as well (ohms?).
So?
Where do you see that?