Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
You guys are so WRONG!!! Lol!!!
Do I detect a dre fan

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The "sweet spot" in headphones is typically in the $50-100 range, so the best headphones in that range often give the best value. I doubt you will find a $200 headphone that is even 40% better than the best $100 ones. It might only be 15-20% better. Is it worth spending the extra money? If you are very wealthy, you might decide to buy a $1000 headphone even if it is only 40% better than the best $100 one. Someone who isn't so wealthy though might buy an excellent $100 one, or might buy an excellent $50 one that is 85% as good as the the excellent $100 one. Imo even something like the $15 JVC HA-S160 sounds quite good. Since 2000, I haven't bought a headphone over $100. In the 1990s I bought headphones over $100. I even bought a high rated one one that was normally $500+ and was on sale for around $250. This headphone disappointed me. It sounded great, however it didn't sound that much better than the best headphones I bought for around $100. After that, I decided to stick with headphones under $100, but to choose them very carefully, as some sound so much better than others around the same price.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
The "sweet spot" in headphones is typically in the $50-100 range, so the best headphones in that range often give the best value.
I assume your statement is based on your purchasing habits, for example your threads here, here , here and here

Quote:
I doubt you will find a $200 headphone that is even 40% better than the best $100 ones. It might only be 15-20% better. Is it worth spending the extra money?
Have you tried more expensive headphones out of your comfort zone in order to validate your hypothesis?

Quote:
If you are very wealthy, you might decide to buy a $1000 headphone even if it is only 40% better than the best $100 one. Someone who isn't so wealthy though might buy an excellent $100 one, or might buy an excellent $50 one that is 85% as good as the the excellent $100 one.
Where are you getting these percentages from?

Quote:
Imo even something like the $15 JVC HA-S160 sounds quite good. Since 2000, I haven't bought a headphone over $100.
Your memory of sound quality must be very good, better than mine as I can’t remember the exact SQ of headphones I listened to a few years ago or at least I preface my statements with some disqualifying statement like “if my memory doesn’t fail me.”

Quote:
In the 1990s I bought headphones over $100. I even bought a high rated one one that was normally $500+ and was on sale for around $250. This headphone disappointed me. It sounded great, however it didn't sound that much better than the best headphones I bought for around $100.
I guess sound cards, computers, headphones, etc…. haven’t improved since then

Quote:
After that, I decided to stick with headphones under $100, but to choose them very carefully, as some sound so much better than others around the same price.
No argument here, we’re each entitled to our own opinions. Although why not try some to put some facts behind your statements, listening to more expensive headphones is free and I’m surprised how much time they allow you on them at audio shows. While I don’t like many high end expensive headphones myself, I’ve certainly given them a try and never bought in the $400.00 +++ market, even tested some of those $1,000 ++ ones which did impress me but even if I was rich I could not justify the spend as I'd buy better speakers, home system and travel more ...

Old 09-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
It might only be 15-20% better. Is it worth spending the extra money? If you are very wealthy, you might decide to buy a $1000 headphone even if it is only 40% better than the best $100 one. Someone who isn't so wealthy though might buy an excellent $100 one, or might buy an excellent $50 one that is 85% as good as the the excellent $100 one.
Agree with much of what you say. At the same time, for some people, I suspect, a 10-20% improvement in sound quality can be dramatic and justify, for them, the extra $ expenditure. The nice thing about phones (at least, hopefully, better quality phones) is that this need not be a frequent re-purchase, making it easier to absorb (and self-justify) the extra cost.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Do I detect a dre fan

Old 09-13-2012, 06:22 AM

roflmao, thanks I almost spewed my coffee on lappy

Old 09-14-2012, 06:36 PM

TDS, that's my exact response when my brother mentions how nice beats are :P

Old 09-20-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Just remember, sampling is free fortunately for me there's several places I've found you can test gear but by far the highest end stuff I've seen are at meets or audio shows, which are both free as well.

After buying a duff purchase yesterday, demoing/ sampling isn't really enough for me.

I went to a big meet last weekend, i managed to try some nice stuff, and i ended up buying some dt1350. Sound wise, they are significantly better than my 990 premiums. Tesla drivers are lovely. However, 30mins of listening kills my ears, the clamp?! I stretched them all night over a bicycle helmet, helped slightly. I feel that even if they get to a lighter clamping force over time, the isolation and bass will degenerate. I also found them even smoother and richer than when i demoed them.

But unfortunately they're going back. Real real shame. If they were encased in a full cup and felt like the 990, they would be a serious winner.

So about the % increase mentioned. Not at all sound wise. I paid £20 more than my 990s, i got a hell of allot more.

Regarding the comfort again. When i read reviews on these, i shrugged them off as previously people always reported M50s to be uncomfy. I've done 6 hours with a little break here and there at work with no worries, so thought people were just being slightly more critical.

Last edited by eskimo4130; 09-20-2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: I spelt bass, base. haha tiredness

Old 05-09-2013, 04:33 AM

Sorry to bring back a post from a while back, but I was searching on here and saw this thread and thought I would give my input. Up until recently, I had been one of those people who used stock HP and IEMS, although my PC speakers are nice as is the sound system in my mom's minivan, (two amps, all updated speakers, a big ol tube sub etc.) then I bought a pair of Pioneer Steez for $60.00...it was an eye...er ear opener, and I progressed to House of Marley Rebels, and may well go from there and even experiment with amps etc. But no, I do not think that everyone apprciates good sound, a perfect example would be my 15 yr old sister- she has heard my marleys and heard Beats as well..as well as my Steez...she still thinks that her stock buds with the little foam covers on them are great.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:52 PM

I've read some really positive reviews on the XB700 and some like them more than the XB1000's.

I think most people go through a period where the sound signatures they like change. For me I used to like a more V shaped signature until I heard a good mid-forward pair and now I like the more mid-forward to balanced sound. The one HP I have that can be called V shaped is the HE-400 but they don't sound as V shaped as their frequency graph shows imo. I'm also liking a little more bass in my music than I used to but not much so a little EQ'ing works great though my Colofly C3 doesn't have one and my amp has no boost but the C3 starts off with good bass so I can deal with that.