android
Old 09-15-2012, 04:47 PM

Default Lumia 800, HTC One V, and Titan

I have about 320 dollars to spend on an unlocked phone. I'm looking for a good music and video player. I'm also looking for a good mobile wifi web-browsing experience. Which of the following phones should I get?

I'm leaning toward the Windows Phones because the One V seems to be derided as slow and sluggish. Among the Lumia 800 and Titan I want to go with the Titan because it's screen is an INCH bigger, and it has a front-facing camera. Nonetheless, the only Titans I can find around 300 dollars have no warranty, which scares me. I don't want a 300 dollar dud.

Which unlocked phone around 300 would you recommend?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Among new phones, the Galaxy Nexus is pretty much the only unlocked device you can buy in the US that isn't a terrible deal. So I would look at that, or else not buy an unlocked device since they tend to be a crappy deal.

If you want Windows phone, i'd wait until WP8 launches in a couple weeks and get one of those devices. None of the current WP devices are getting upgraded to 8, so they're pretty much already obsolete.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:41 PM

Good point. Hopefully there will be decent unlocked WP8 phones for about 330. 350 even; I'll likely have made a little more money in the time before WP8 hits the market.

Or maybe I'll just snag a cheap Lumia 900 after WP8 hits; I don't especially need any of the new features. I'm sure that the WP7.5 devices have excellent music and video playing capabilities.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
- or else not buy an unlocked device since they tend to be a crappy deal.
Why do you say that?

Anyway at 320$ right now I'd say the iPhone 4 is a pretty good deal due to the masses competeing to sell off old stock since the iPhone 4 is going to be "free" on contract soon if not already. You may ask why this over other android or windows devices? Well mainly because it is more a music player then any other device in that price/age range. Although the Sony Xperia P might also be a decent contender, Sony states it gets 80 hours of music playback, but its really more like 40 with any bit of intermittent connectivity. Although video is another story, clocking at only 4 hours on a single charge. Also another problem is that its running android 2.3 so you will need to root it to get access to newer versions of android, and that's not always a fun and smooth experience.

Neither has a MicroSD card slot as everybody suddenly thinks its a great idea to be without one. Ho-hum. So 16gb max storage might be a problem, can't easily think of a device that would match the above 2 devices and have an MicroSD card slot.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechOutsider View Post
Good point. Hopefully there will be decent unlocked WP8 phones for about 330. 350 even; I'll likely have made a little more money in the time before WP8 hits the market.

Or maybe I'll just snag a cheap Lumia 900 after WP8 hits; I don't especially need any of the new features. I'm sure that the WP7.5 devices have excellent music and video playing capabilities.
They don't; you have to go through Zune which is garbage.

I got rid of my 710.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack4L View Post
Why do you say that?

Anyway at 320$ right now I'd say the iPhone 4
Second hand maybe. But new off contract will cost you more than that.

Thats the problem with off contract in the US. With few exceptions its much cheaper to buy on contract.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Second hand maybe. But new off contract will cost you more than that.
Huh, there were a ton when I posted my last message going for 320$ on amazon.com from even fairly well rated merchants. Ah well. (Or maybe I just looked at the 8GB model)

Quote:
Thats the problem with off contract in the US. With few exceptions its much cheaper to buy on contract.
But not if that contract will end up charging you for a bunch of stuff you'll never fully use. 60$ a month on contract for 2 years (a.k.a 1440$) is possibly the most sinister thing to cross my path in some time :P

Last edited by Jack4L; 09-17-2012 at 04:14 AM.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Huh, there were a ton when I posted my last message going for 320$ on amazon.com from even fairly well rated merchants. Ah well. (Or maybe I just looked at the 8GB model)

But not if that contract will end up charging you for a bunch of stuff you'll never fully use. 60$ a month on contract for 2 years (a.k.a 1440$) is possibly the most sinister thing to cross my path in some time :P
You can't get an iPhone on contract that cheaply here, I don't think....several people I've known with them have paid from $80/month on up over $100/month depending on which plans they chose.
That why I have an unlocked smartphone on a prepaid plan....the data connection is slow as hell, but my phone costs me a lot less to use per month.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Do a search on Amazon, and an older iPhone can be had for between $200-$300 unlocked w/no contract. But, you won't be able to get anything close to current hardware for that price.

I sold my iPhone 4 32gb in excellent condition for around $350. It sold almost immediately. Used you can find deals - but most will look used. Mine looked NEW!!!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Huh, there were a ton when I posted my last message going for 320$ on amazon.com from even fairly well rated merchants. Ah well.
That would be the iPhone 3GS probably, which is quite obsolete by now.

Quote:
The 4S costs 550 right now on Amazon unlocked veres 100 hundred on contract. Cheapest AT&T contract is $55. So really its 870 for the contract, or 435 a year, or $36 a month.

Going to be tough to get voice + data much cheaper in the US. And you have to pay all that money for the phone up front. And not even that new of a phone.

Thats why I said really the Galaxy Nexus is the only really solid deal for a prepaid phone these days. You actually do come out ahead with it since the $350 price is so ridiculously low for a cutting edge phone.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Eh, no it was the iPhone 4 8gb on Sprints network, you can still get those for $320. They show up on my amazon searches over others when I'm logged in because I have bought sprint/virgin mobile compatible devices in the past.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:04 PM

Between the One V and the Lumia 800, which one should I pick?

Old 09-19-2012, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechOutsider View Post
Between the One V and the Lumia 800, which one should I pick?
I'd go with the Lumia 800, personally. But if you can hold out for the Lumia 820 or 920, as saratoga mentioned, that would probably be wise. That being said, Windows Phone 7.x is still an excellent OS.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Devwi View Post
I'd go with the Lumia 800, personally. But if you can hold out for the Lumia 820 or 920, as saratoga mentioned, that would probably be wise. That being said, Windows Phone 7.x is still an excellent OS.
I only wish there was an eq on the Nokia handsets. Otherwise they are a really nice choice.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The new HTC 8S unlocked pricing has been leaked to be around $365 retail. That a good price considering it's running WP8 and has expandable memory.

http://www.wpcentral.com/uk-retailer...-htc-8x-and-8s

Old 09-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Then I just might pop for an HTC myself - no way am I getting another iPhone.