android
Old 07-18-2012, 03:12 PM

Question What is the best tablet?

My birthday is in a few weeks, and I'm thinking about getting a tablet for my birthday, but I don't know which one. I've read many reviews, and watched many videos on different tablets, but they all seem good. I already have an ipod touch and an android phone, so I was thinking of maybe an ipad 3 or one of the android tablets. The Toshiba Thrive seems good since you can connect flash drives to it and it has an SD card slot on it. I just wanted to know what you all on abi think.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-18-2012, 03:49 PM

Would help if you stated what your needs are (size, apps, etc.)

I personally have a Playbook which I use for class. It gets the job done, but suffers from a lack of apps.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Samsung Galaxy Tab's for Android, and the iPad for an all-around'er.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:26 PM

Well size wouldn't matter to me, I'd like 16, 32 or even 64 GB if I could get my dad to spend $700 (plus tax) on me. I have a 64 GB ipod touch, so that would be awesome if I could sync all my stuff from my touch to my ipad. Not 8 GB though, that's too small. I would be using my tablet for surfing the web, for school, to play games, and to watch my movies that I have. I just hate that the Apple products don't support flash, but now I read that android is going to stop supporting flash, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:28 PM

If you get a tablet with a sd slot you can add a 64gb microsdxc card for $60 or a 32 gb sdcard for $20 and not pay up to $700 on a tablet.

I would suggest looking at the Asus ASUS 10.1 Eee Pad TF300 which has tegra 3 quad-core processor, nice optional keyboard dock, 32 gb internal storage and expandable memory option for $400. For an extra $100 more you can get the Asus Infinity TF700 with a 1920 X 1080 display instead of 1280 x 720.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandisksansalover22 View Post
Well size wouldn't matter to me, I'd like 16, 32 or even 64 GB if I could get my dad to spend $700 (plus tax) on me. I have a 64 GB ipod touch, so that would be awesome if I could sync all my stuff from my touch to my ipad. Not 8 GB though, that's too small. I would be using my tablet for surfing the web, for school, to play games, and to watch my movies that I have. I just hate that the Apple products don't support flash, but now I read that android is going to stop supporting flash, so I guess it doesn't matter.
I own the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, and it's a great device. But, I also own a 64gb iPad 2. I use the iPad 2 more often, and it works for me as I have an iPod touch & classic as well. I do use other devices (Sony S639, Sansa clip+ & clipzip, etc,...) but my main players currently are Apple iCrap. I find the compatibility between devices to be a huge plus. I personally prefer iOS devices,...or Microsoft.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Your intention for the tablet is important. If as an e-reader, a 7" seems best. If for web surfing, 10" is best, it seems to me, although less portable.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'll throw my hat in the ring for Asus. Expect their range of tranformer/slider tablet to be the first to get JellyBean (4.1). The Nexus 7 they made for Google is also a wonderful 7" tablet.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:42 AM

The ipad 3 is not really a big boost from the ipad 2 so if you go the apple route go for the better battery life on the ipad 2 and lower price imho. I prefef the 4:3 aspect ratio on the ipads to the widescreen ratios on the androids for productivity.

If you go android you need to figure out where you are on the portability requirement front. 7 inchers are easier go tote around than 10 inchers. For me the choice was a samsung galaxy note with a 5.3 inch screen. The nexus 7 is the ultimate budget tablet. If you need 3g radio get a toshiba excite 7.7 or samsung galaxy tab 7.7. The ipad size androids are imho not up to much at the moment. The only 10 inch android tablet worth considering is the asus tfa300 (the upgraded transformer tablet i might have got the name wrong.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
My birthday is in a few weeks, and I'm thinking about getting a tablet for my birthday, but I don't know which one. I've read many reviews, and watched many videos on different tablets, but they all seem good. I already have an ipod touch and an android phone, so I was thinking of maybe an ipad 3 or one of the android tablets. The Toshiba Thrive seems good since you can connect flash drives to it and it has an SD card slot on it. I just wanted to know what you all on abi think.
The best android tablet right now is the Asus Infinity.
It has the fastest quad core processor, the highest resolution, 12core gpu for graphics, 32gb memory, etc.

IMO, it's beats the ipad 3 (but slightly).

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TF700T-B1...=asus+infinity

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/asus...contentBody;1r

Old 07-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

My current vote goes to the 16GB Nexus 7, which is arguably the best bang for the buck out of all the tablets out there. Here's a review by PC Magazine:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406552,00.asp

Old 07-31-2012, 02:07 AM

I would say the Nexus 7 also or maybe wait til September for the iPad mini.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My Tab 7.0 Plus just got the official ICS update yesterday, and DAMN!!! It's excellent. I love it,...

Old 08-21-2012, 08:34 PM

if you need multitasking get the samsung glaxy note tab 10.1
quad core with 2gb of ram

Old 08-24-2012, 11:45 AM

I ended up getting an iPad 3rd generation 16 GB, so thanks for your help everyone!

Old 08-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I ended up getting an iPad 3rd generation 16 GB, so thanks for your help everyone!
I think you'll enjoy it. I'm using my iPad 2G 64gb right now.

Remember, it's what works best for you that matters most!!!

Old 09-16-2012, 01:38 AM

+1 for the Galaxy Note 10.1.

Not the highest resolution LCD screen in the world, but it's calibrated nicely.

It's fast. Really fast.

The WACOM pen works very well. Excellent handwriting recognition. Great sound too. Rockbox works on it!

Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 AM

Late reply, usefull for anyone else thinking of a new tablet perhaps?
I'm with the guy above, the 10.1 note is a superb choice for a student/artist.
I have an original ipod and find its gathering dust even though it does have better quality apps on the store, Android is catching up though.
I purchased the stylus with eraser which is more like a pen (than the included good but small stylus.) The rubber nibs make it feel more like a traditional pencil.
The OS has just been updated to Jellybean which has improved and given the tablet more functionality.
Highly recomended