android
Old 09-10-2012, 01:34 PM

Default X9 vs C2

So there is no X9 forum so I can't really get impressions from anyone about it, so I'm dropping in a thread here.

I'm shopping for an MP3 player and through my research i've decided on going with a Cowon model. The Clip Zip looks real nice, but I want battery life to be able to last week trips, and a navigable playlist.

So I had pretty much settled on the 16gb C2, currently $140 on Amazon (wish the 4/8gb was available.....picking the C2 was partly because of SD expansion slot, so if i coulda got the 4/8gb for cheaper that woulda instantly sold it), when I was just checking up on Amazon the price of the other Cowon models. J3 was outta my price range, but the X9 16gb came up @ ~$185. I don't really need a device for mobile video, but the X9 rates its battery life at ~110 hrs, nearly double what the C2 boasts, and its only $40 more.

Since I can't "downgrade" to lower size models of either due to availability, is the X9 a good enough product to pay the extra $40 for the battery and interface?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-10-2012, 01:56 PM

Just started shipping not long ago, so posting thread here is fine. I noticed there isn't a forum for it yet on iAudiophile either. Soon come when a few people become owners ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-10-2012, 03:03 PM

Long time lurker; first-time poster here. If it speeds up the process to have an X9 sub-forum created, I want to state that I recently got an X9 myself. I also have a C2 as well; but I must say that it is awfully nice to have 32GB on board the device as well, even though there is an expansion slot.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:16 AM

Guitarzan, which of the 2 do you prefer to use on a daily basis? For me the size onboard isn't an issue because the 2 available that I can get are both 16gb, so for me the matter is between the battery life and the usability of the two interfaces, so I'd love some feedback regarding their user experience.

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarzan View Post
... If it speeds up the process to have an X9 sub-forum created, I want to state that I recently got an X9 myself. ...
The suggestion has been made to the forums gods and if you get board of the x9, just send it my way

Old 09-11-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizo View Post
Guitarzan, which of the 2 do you prefer to use on a daily basis? For me the size onboard isn't an issue because the 2 available that I can get are both 16gb, so for me the matter is between the battery life and the usability of the two interfaces, so I'd love some feedback regarding their user experience.

Thanks!
For me, the C2 is a bit more user friendly as a primary player, simply because of the difference in size between the 2 units. The X9 is a big player and it's form factor isn't always ideal in all circumstances (jogging or the like). But, with that said, it's a nice player and I find myself using it at home quite a bit, while the C2 I tend to use when I'm on the go.

If player size isn't much of a concern, you may find the X9 to be a great primary player. Granted, the battery life is better on the X9, but the C2's is more than adequate for my needs. In my very biased opinion, all Cowon players have fairly lousy UI's, so if that is a major concern, Cowon's may not be the ideal players for you.

I hope you find a player that suits your needs!

Old 09-14-2012, 02:04 PM

Put in my order for the X9, for $40 more figured may as well take the risk, especially since it has forward/back tactile buttons while the C2 just has volume. If I don't like it, I can just drop it on ebay I suppose. I'll post again next week once I receive it and have some time to play with it.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The X9 is large and heavy at 5.6 ounces. Imo anything over 3 ounces isn't really comfortable to have in a shirt pocket. At 6.1X 3.2 x 0.4 " it likely won't even fit in many shirt pockets. The C2 is 3.1 inches; Width: 2.09 inches; Thickness: 0.5 inches, and just 3 ounces.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
The X9 is large and heavy at 5.6 ounces. Imo anything over 3 ounces isn't really comfortable to have in a shirt pocket. At 6.1X 3.2 x 0.4 " it likely won't even fit in many shirt pockets. The C2 is 3.1 inches; Width: 2.09 inches; Thickness: 0.5 inches, and just 3 ounces.
Nobody else in the thread mentioned anything about carrying the player in a shirt pocket....so once again you're interjecting your needs on somebody else's thread....beat_deadhorse.gif

4d18495d09190c603ad61e4ba1de1012.gif

b4b74657.gif

beating a dead horse.gif

dead_horse.gif

Old 09-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Where do most people carry a larger mp3 player? Do they use a hip pouch, or do they buy a case for it that clips to their belt? I hope most people think about how they are going to carry a larger player before they buy it.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Where do most people carry a larger mp3 player? Do they use a hip pouch, or do they buy a case for it that clips to their belt? I hope most people think about how they are going to carry a larger player before they buy it.
My Samsung Galaxy 5.0 is one of the biggest, I think.....and I can say that really is too heavy for a shirt pocket, at least in a loose-fitting shirt. I have taken it on short walks a couple of times but carried it in my hand. Generally I only use it at home or once I have gotten wherever I am going though.

I'd guess hip cases, like those intended for cameras, (or cell phones) would be popular. Either my phone or my Clip Zip are the ones I would actually carry around.....the Classic and Galaxy usually stay home safe and sound.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:03 PM

He makes a solid point, I take it it is an issue brought up many times before but that is because it is a relevant one. I didn't even really think about it specifically, though on some level I already knew and expected a weight change.

My current player that i'm upgrading from is a 1gb Zen Stone that came in at 19 ounces and naturally went into my shirt pocket. For me the ability to navigate my library instead of solely being a shuffle machine like the Stone was for me is THE reason for getting something larger than the Clip Zip, so the increase in weight was expected. My phone comes in at 3 ounces and is noticeable in my shirt pocket, so regardless of the choice (for me) it probably would end up being a hip clip setup.

Gotta know what you're shopping for. Small player to take out on runs and light enough not to be noticable, pickup a Clip Zip. For everything else, get something higher end. It is always a balancing act of what you want the machine to be able to do. Until the days of retinal imaging, the larger the screen and the more navigable an interface, the less mobile it is, and so choices and "sacrifices" must be made to get things in all areas etc.

For me personally if I find that a higher end player is too unwieldy for my needs, I'll prob just buy a cheap Clip Zip to pair with it for the best of both worlds. After all, battery life is a large reason for me to go with the C2 or X9 over the 15 hr life of the Clip Zip, but if I ever go for more than a 4 hour run/mobile exercise activity, then I think i'll have more important issues than my player running out of juice.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I solved the short battery life issue of my Sandisk players by using them with usb battery packs. These come is various sizes and capacities. Since the Sandisk players can play while being charged, usb battery packs make them much more versatile.

I was thinking about buying a Cowon C2, although the semi-proprietary connector and poor podcast support as well as being over $100 were factors that made me decide not to buy it.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I solved the short battery life issue of my Sandisk players by using them with usb battery packs. These come is various sizes and capacities. Since the Sandisk players can play while being charged, usb battery packs make them much more versatile.

I was thinking about buying a Cowon C2, although the semi-proprietary connector and poor podcast support as well as being over $100 were factors that made me decide not to buy it.
You limit yourself too much when debating on a player. You factor in every single possible thing, when you don't have to. For example, podcast support.....given the plethora of Sansa players you have, with their good podcast support, why not open up your horizons to the possibility of something that might not have good podcast support, but may in turn have something else you love, like 50-hour battery life, knowing that you still have the other players for your podcasts?

Low-bitrate podcast files should theoretically be easier on battery consumption, so you could leave the podcasts on a Clip+ or 2, and then buy a more music-centric player with greater battery life for the higher-bitrate music files.
Think outside the box!

Old 09-14-2012, 08:44 PM

Now back to our scheduled programming.....

Don't get me wrong, I love both the X9 and the C2 for slightly different reasons; that's why I have both. The X9 excels as a "home" unit with outstanding battery life, while the C2 is small enough to tote around with ease.

Like I've always said to my friends and relatives.... There is no one perfect player for every application or person.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:21 AM

oops i just posted a thread asking how much gb space the x9 has?

Old 09-18-2012, 05:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't understand 'home units', isn't that what pc's and stereo's are for? Or are you all just being very polite to the others around you and not enforcing yer awful music taste upon them?

Just wanted to say I have gone from a sansa clip/fuze > to cowon i9 as my main player. After the learning curve of the UI i have to say i am in love with this player, I don't understand why it's not more popular. Awesum sound in a tiny light package (which are my two greatest priorities). Of course its capped at 16gb tho I can't help feeling if it had an expansion slot it would be a real killer player.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
... I can't help feeling if it had an expansion slot it would be a real killer player.
Agreed and it would then be my main player w/64GB card

Old 09-18-2012, 08:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
I don't understand 'home units', isn't that what pc's and stereo's are for?
Well, I can't carry my PC or stereo around, so I use one of my DAP's if I am moving about the house....lol. Also, my PC's sound is lacking, and rather than buy an upgraded sound card or external DAC, I have two choices.

One choice, hook a DAP up to my stereo, which means crossing the room if I want to skip a song or select a new album(and who really wants to have to do that?)

The other option, is simply to use what has become my "desktop rig"...my 160GB Classic-LOD-E11 combo.ipod-108.gif

Old 09-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I am glad you are enjoying your i9. If I was going to buy a Cowon player though, I would get the C2 since I want the card slot and longer battery life.