android
Old 06-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Samsung Moderator

Default [Tutorial] Unbrick the P3 with the Recovery Tool (FWDN)

/!\ This is a dangerous operation! Even though the tutorial is long, please read carefully every step, every line and every single word!

Introduction

Here it is, finally. You may wonder why I share the tool now while I always said I couldn't/wouldn't:
- I found the FWDN for P3 a while ago on an Asian forum. A Samsung employee leaked it and he might be fired for that. But well, that's his problem, not mine. I did not get the tool from Samsung so I consider I can share it without exposing me and my contacts to difficulties. Of course, that's an exception. I can't share the other recovery tools that are not available on the internet.
- I could not share such a dangerous tool at any time without providing a full tutorial to use it. The problem is that writing such a tutorial needs much time, it's several hours of work and I did not have time for that the previous months. Moreover, I did not really dare to try this tool on my fully working P3.
- The P3 is an old product now. Most owners are not covered by the warranty anymore. Giving the price of a repair out of warranty, the bricked P3 would be thrown away for sure. Trying the FWDN may be worth it for these people.

FWDN is a powerful recovery tool that can unbrick a P3 that cannot boot anymore and that is not recognized by the computer anymore. It can fix all these firmware issues. However, it can't fix an hardware issue.
It is supposed to work with Windows 2000, XP 32 Bit, Vista 32 Bit and 7 (Seven) 32 Bit
The included drivers don't work with 64 bit Windows versions.

-Please don't use it if your P3 is still covered by a warranty
-Like any Samsung recovery tool, FWDN is a dangerous tool that can really burn the mainboard if a problem occurs during the process, trust me! So it's a software that can cause hardware damages!
Of course, ABI and I accept no responsibility for potential damages you made while using this tool
-Don't use this tool for any other device. Use if for Samsung P3 only
-If you are not familiar with these technologies, please don't use this tool.

I give you a tutorial but I don't have time to provide full support in this thread. I don't want to read dozens of posts saying "it doesn't work", "my P3 is dead now" etc... If the tutorial is not enough for you and you're not sure how to use it, don't use it!!

Preparation
-Make sure the battery of the P3 is fully charged
-Download FWDN in attachment (the password is my nickname). Extract the archive on your computer, at an easily accessible place (Desktop or Documents for example).
-Download the firmware 1.11 here and extract the archive on your computer. FWDN requires *.rom files while usual P3 firmwares are composed of a single *.BIN file. Thus you are obliged to use this firmware 1.11. For your information, this is the first firmware that was available on the Samsung website early January 2009 during the first weeks following the release of the P3 in Korea. This firmware has been quickly removed from the Samsung website afterwards.
-You'll need a thin object (such as a pin or straightened paperclip) to press the reset button

Tutorial
1)
Vista & 7: Go to your FWDN folder then vtcdrv>vista.

Double-click on install.bat. A black CMD window will appear and disappear very quickly. You even might not see it. Don't worry!

XP: Go to your FWDN folder then vtcdrv>2000&xp.

Double-click on install.bat. A black CMD window will appear and disappear very quickly. You even might not see it. Don't worry!

2) Double-click on FWDN_V5_v2.12.exe. An ERROR pop-up appears. Don't worry either, just click on OK.

3) Then select the path of the YPP3.rom file in your firmware 1.11 folder

4) A warning pop-up appears. Don't worry, just click on OK.

5) The FWDN preferences window opens.
-Tick the Enable Formatting Filesystem box then tick the Enable Sample File Writing box. Click on the folder icon on the right to browse your files and select the path of the firmware 1.11 folder containing the *.rom and *.rsc files.
-In Target Configuration>SDRAM Size select 64MB(32bit)-0x20000000
Click on Apply then OK

/!\ Don't change any other option. Let the default settings! See the screenshot below

6) Connect your P3 to the computer. Press and hold the Power button. Press the reset button once then release the Power button. The P3 screen turns black and a pop-up New hardware found appears.

Win Vista:
a)Select Locate and install driver software (recommended). Then Windows needs your permission to continue. Just click on Continue. You can notice on the taskbar the small icon saying Installing device driver software

b) After a while, Windows tells you it couldn't find driver software for your device. Select Browse my computer for driver software (advanced), then click on Browse and select the path FWDN>vtcdrv>vista. Click on Next.

c) Windows may tell you it can't verify the the publisher of this driver software. Well we don't care, just click on Install this driver software anyway.

d) After a while Windows says that the driver software Telechips TCC79xx VTC USB for the P3 has been successfully installed.

Win 7:
a) You can notice on the taskbar the small icon saying Installing device driver software

b) After a while, Windows tells you Device driver software was not successfully installed.

c) Go to the Device manager. You can see an Unknown device.

d) Double-click on it, click on Update Driver Software then on Browse my computer for driver software. Click on Browse and select the path FWDN>vtcdrv>vista. Click on Next.

e) Windows may tell you it can't verify the the publisher of this driver software. Well we don't care, just click on Install this driver software anyway.

f) After a while Windows says that the driver software Telechips TCC79xx VTC USB for the P3 has been successfully installed.

Win XP:
a) The OS opens a window Welcome to the found new hardware wizard. Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)

b) Select the Search for the best driver in these locations and tick the box Include this location in the search. Then click on Browse and select the path FWDN>vtcdrv>2000&xp.

c)A pop-up asks if you want to continue the install, click on Continue of course.

d) Windows may tell you the vtcdrv.sys file is necessary. Click on Browse and select this file in the path FWDN>vtcdrv>2000&xp.

e) Click on OK. After a while Windows announces it managed to install the driver software Telechips TCC79xx VTC USB for the P3.

7) Congrats! The P3 is now recognized by FWDN!

8) You just have to click on Click to Write now and wait.
/!\ Don't touch the computer and don't disconnect the P3 during the operation!

9) Once it is done, it says Write Complete ! in a green box. That means it successfully flashed the P3 and you can disconnect the P3 from the computer now.

12) Press the reset button and turn on your P3. The updating process starts. You may have to power on the device several times until the P3 normally boots on.

13) As you can see, the P3 is now in firmware 1.10, a very old awful firmware. Don't forget to upgrade to the latest firmware 2.22 following the usual process.
-Upgrade to firmware 2.22
-Upgrade from Touch version 6.C to 6.D
-Change the Region Code

Alternative Download Link for firmware 1.11
Attached Files
File Type: zip P3_FWDN.zip (1.19 MB, 493 views)

Last edited by lebellium; 03-08-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-23-2011, 01:36 PM

Very interesting, hopefully I'll never have to use this.
Thanks for taking the time to put this up.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:55 AM

Hello, Good Morning, I have a problem on my device for over P3 applying this procedure with success on my screen get the following ERROR RTC...

Old 07-09-2011, 04:12 AM
Samsung Moderator

Maybe try to flash it again but it may be a hardware issue

Quote:
RTC means Real Time Clock, it is a hardware clock designed to count actual time. if this is faulty, things like playback and touch sensing will be affected.
It needs repairing unfortunatly.
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...97&postcount=5

Old 10-01-2011, 11:38 AM

Hi Guys! just have the same problem with my P3. is it normal that after receiving RTC error it will restart and boot again keeps on restarting and receiving RTC error while plugged using the charger.

will i be able to do this unbricking process even if it restarts.

please advise.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:40 AM

Is P3 charging event hough its in blackout state after pressing and holding power button then pressing reset?

Old 10-03-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholi_2000 View Post
Hi Guys! just have the same problem with my P3. is it normal that after receiving RTC error it will restart and boot again keeps on restarting and receiving RTC error while plugged using the charger.

will i be able to do this unbricking process even if it restarts.

please advise.
RTC is the real time clock (keeps the seconds since a default date to store user time). Maybe is a sort of hardware problem.
Sorry but I don't own the model and I cannot give you a solution for that
It's just an informative post

Old 10-28-2011, 02:19 AM

So no way to use this tool with win7 x64??
No updated drivers?

Old 10-28-2011, 02:34 AM
Samsung Moderator

Not included with the tool but maybe you can find some googling.

I don't know if these ones work http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...&postcount=186

Old 10-28-2011, 03:28 AM

I forgot I have a vista x32 on my 2nd partition
Everything went ok, but the touch bug is still there...it's hardware
Should I go for a Cowon J3 now or my hTc is good enough?

Old 05-21-2012, 10:48 AM

Thank You!
It worked for me. I finally re-used my old (2 years) P3 for few moments and... It bricks again!!!
Argh...
Does it mean that my device is getting Alzheimer's disease ?
(I suspect flash memory hole...)

I am right?
Any opinion is appreciate?

J.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Samsung Moderator

It's quite strange. The P3 is kinda hard to brick, I never bricked mine and I don't know many people who bricked theirs.

Either you have one or several very problematic file(s) (do you transfer the same files everytime after unbricking it?) or there may be something corrupted on the flash memory.

After unbricking it, reformat it with windows and do a chkdsk. But don't know if that would really help.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:03 AM

hum : '...never bricked mine' <- and You've done this tuto???

Concerning problematic files... only mp3s, but I have recently make a clean into all ID3 tags (done on my Linux box).

But It could be related to the filesystem enconding.
My box is Ubuntu Linux with utf8 and P3 is utf16-le...

Sometimes I lost the correct mp3 tags.

Win32 works differently with filesystem.

Today I unbrick the P3, do a P3 reformat with internal (the included tool in P3) nor external tool (Linux one). CHKDSK isn't needed because fresh format.

Note: the unbrick session doesn't work at all with Virtualbox. I need to use a 'real' win32 box. And as you said a 64bits box does recognize the FDWN tool (coded in 32 bits). The trick to ask windows use the .exe into 32 bits emulation doesn't work either... FDWN is a native 32 bits code...

So, let's go.

Cu,
J.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:24 PM

p3 fwdn.zip is password protected.what is the password?

Old 09-12-2012, 02:19 AM
Samsung Moderator

Read the tutorial

The password is there to avoid some people like you to download the recovery tool and use it without reading the tutorial.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:04 AM

Default FIX !!!

Reading this following I finally understund why my P3 bricks...
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...fo/+bug/573219
...so I decide this short procedure to avoid bricking.

- Have an Ubuntu box running (any version)
- plug you P3
- open a terminal and type these commands...
sudo su -
echo 64 > /sys/block/sdb/device/max_sectors
(Rem: here sdb is my P3 mount point, change whith yours!)
exit
- STUFF your turkey, pardon your P3 with files (large, medium, short) whithout brick your device !!!!
It takes my 5 years to found this... and it works!

Tags
fwdn, p3, recovery, samsung, tool, unbrick, yp-p3