android
Old 09-10-2012, 06:41 PM

Default Yes, you can opt-out of Kindle Fire ads

The new Kindle Fire tablets are pretty exciting, but one aspect of Amazon’s announcement last week concerned some people: Could you really not opt-out of the ads which will now be shown on all Kindle Fire tablets? Thankfully, an Amazon spokesperson reached out to Gizmodo to clear up the confusion and confirm that yes, you will be able to opt-out of ads on the Kindle Fire for a $15 fee.

"I wanted to let you know that with Kindle Fire HD there will be a special offers opt-out option for $15. We know from our Kindle reader line that customers love our special offers and very few people choose to opt out. We're happy to offer customers the choice."

Amazon has made a habit of subsidizing its Kindle e-readers with mostly unobtrusive ads on the lock screen which can be disabled for a one-time fee. The original Kindle Fire, however, did not have this option – it simply showed imagery hand-picked by Amazon – so this change has upset some people.

Is the ability to disable Amazon’s “special offers” important to you, or do you not mind seeing the promotions? Based on the responses to this thread, I'd have to guess that the answer is a resounding yes.

[Gizmodo]

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-10-2012, 07:14 PM

For only another $15 dollars on top of the price of your expensive tablet you can have one that's not a portable billboard. Lovely.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Oh brother, another fee on top of the cost of the tablet itself - just the thing we all want for the upcoming holidays.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

So don't pay the fee and live with the generally unobtrusive ads. And at the same time, get a minimal cell data program for only $50 a year . . . .

Old 09-11-2012, 04:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
So don't pay the fee and live with the generally unobtrusive ads. And at the same time, get a minimal cell data program for only $50 a year . . . .
250MB a month isn't much.....basically you can check your email on the go, and the weather, but you can't be streaming or downloading anything. I suppose it's worth the $50/yr, but given the lack of storage on this tablet, and this meager data plan, the owners better stick near wifi.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
The ads are bs as any ad is intrusive,... And not even being able to watch 1 flick with that "generous" $50 a year data plan is absolutely stupid. Have you ever tested a 250mb a month data plan? I have, with my google chrome netbook. After a few emails and a web page or 2 it's done.

It seems you have no real idea about that with you speak,...are we an android fanboi??? It seems your overhyping this thing,...and defending it when it will speak for itself - in it's own sluggish, limited capacity, locked down, data baiting way.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
The ads are bs as any ad is intrusive,... And not even being able to watch 1 flick with that "generous" $50 a year data plan is absolutely stupid. Have you ever tested a 250mb a month data plan? I have, with my google chrome netbook. After a few emails and a web page or 2 it's done.

It seems you have no real idea about that with you speak,...are we an android fanboi??? It seems your overhyping this thing,...and defending it when it will speak for itself - in it's own sluggish, limited capacity, locked down, data baiting way.
An Android fanboi wouldn't want this tablet.....lol.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
An Android fanboi wouldn't want this tablet.....lol.
This is quite true,...I redact may question concerning fanboi'ism then.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

I actually follow Amazon ads because they usually do have some of the best offers arround, so I wouldn't find them at all obtrusive if they were somehow tailored for my likes if I wanted them to be. As long as they were like they were on the Kindle- if its god damn videos or sound clips then NO WAY IN HELL. However I think Amazon fully understands that ads should never be annoying or obtrusive.

The 50$ a year plan isn't anything special- nor is it anything terribly bad either. For casual use, getting hourly weather updates every few hours, reading all your e-mail, getting and posting twitter and facebook updates 250mb is more then enough. Trust me I did exactly that last year on a crappy prepaid sim that only got 100mb of data. Now given I was on vacation so I wasn't overly bored 24/7 like I would be at work, still I would probably rather pay that 50$ a year to do that ALL YEAR LONG then pay $30+ a month to get OOOH 2GB of data :P The infinite world of possibilities you have with 2GB of data a month...

Old 09-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Then your one of the exceptions my friend. I use my devices to look at web pages, plan what I'm going to do when I travel, watch the occasional video, and lend my stuff to my wife, kids, and sis-in-law to use while out & about. 250mb can't get me through a day.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

LOL--I guess anyone who doesn't agree with you is a fanboi? Please keep on topic rather than making personal comments.

I actually love the low-cost minimal data plan. Certainly, no one, including Amazon, intends it as a "full" data plan--if you're expecting and comparing it to that, you're not making a correct comparison. But it serves for the precise reasons you point out: getting on the web for quick matters, when you're not near a WiFi network--checking email, getting directions, doing a website check, etc. For that and only $50 per year, I think it's ideal. And then save the data-intensive stuff for a WiFi connection (or a "full" data plan). I think that this is an innovative offering that most other tablets aren't even considering, and that many may like as a feature.

As to the ads, again, if you don't like them, Amazon has a solution: just build in an extra $15 to the purchase price (or even try the tablet out first and see if you want to pay the additional $15). Choice and options are good things. And interestingly, user reports that I have read, such as that above, have noted that the users haven't minded the ads and even have found them helpful. But again, one has the option.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@Mikerman: I did keep it on topic, but you decided to question what I personally see as flawed & direct your comments at me. And yes, you do appear to be a fanboi,...just not a true " Android" one. I guess you missed my prior post on the subject?

As for the data plans, sure, $50 is great - IF wifi is readily available. In most instances it isn't, and AT&T will love you going over the monthly cap. This gets them to either get you to go with a real data plan, or eat a huge bill because you've used up your 250mb. In the USA this isn't wise,...especially when it comes to the carriers we have here.

Also, I live in the NYC - tap into any old wifi hotspot & you just might get all your personal info stolen as well. It's a common occurrence,...or does everyone plan on using these things solely in the comfort of their homes? I doubt it,...

As for ads, every person I know hates them. But, in all fairness, Amazon tends to be better than most - I'll cut them slack in this area. But, having to pay an addition fee to remove the ads sux. You'll get all your books, movies & shows, plus music from Amazon. Why should you be "required" to pay a fee for an adless device? Seems like a penny pinching act, from a company that makes a crapload of cash in general. Buy as you will,...but the other devices are better in the long run.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I guess there are 2 ways of looking at the ads: Amazon could just exclude them and then sell the device for $15 more, as it would be doing. As I see it, the "solution," here, is ideal: if you don't mind the ads and even are fine with/like them (as some people are, as posted here and as I've seen in other user boards), save yourself the $15 (or opt out in the future, by paying the no-ad-tax then)--I'm not sure what is wrong in giving people a choice and a possible savings; and if you don't like the ads, pay the $15 to have them excluded--the price that Amazon would be selling the ad-free device for.

And no, no fanboi here--am very device and brand agnostic. But I like choices and not having things forced on me--the Amazon option lets me, not Amazon, choose, and maybe save some money and get some Amazon product info. that I might like having besides.

As to the data plan, again, it's ideal for someone like me (and will appeal to many others, I suspect): someone who is fine in using his device on WiFi networks generally (mostly at home or at work, or at public hotspots like a library) but likes the option, at $50 per year, to use the device every now and again when out and about where a network is not handy (and without paying $30 a month for cell data which rarely will be needed). Think getting directions in a car, if one doesn't have a cellphone, or checking one's email. Again, I like the option given to me, at what seems to be a very handy price. I wish other manfs. were offering such an option as well.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

zipit.gif