android
Old 07-10-2012, 11:57 AM

Default Completely Bricked Clip+

I was just listening to my clip+ and it shut off on it's own. The battery was completely charged an hour ago. I can't for the life of me get it to turn on. Plugging in usb does nothing either. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-10-2012, 12:09 PM

Reset it. Hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds. Release the button, press it again momentarily and it should start up normally.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:15 PM

Tried that already no go

Old 07-10-2012, 12:22 PM
ABI Invaluable

Since reset didn't work, leave it alone for a few days, then plug it in. I had one of mine shut down once and that worked, if not then it's possible the battery inside came unsoldered.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-10-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
Tried that already no go
In some rare cases, up to and silghtly over a minute of holding the power button have been known to work.

Also, a few have reported success by momentarily pressing the Home/Menu button either during this or a split-second after releasing.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:19 PM

ok i can get it to turn on but it's sluggish and seems to freeze easily. think this thing is bricked. oh well was good while it lasted. if only someone didn't steal my clip zip. oh well at least they are cheap

Old 07-10-2012, 01:27 PM

A good format, like a high colonic can sometimes work wonders in getting your system back up to speed.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:28 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
ok i can get it to turn on but it's sluggish and seems to freeze easily. think this thing is bricked. oh well was good while it lasted. if only someone didn't steal my clip zip. oh well at least they are cheap
If you can get it on, try to connect. If you get it recognized, run a CHKDSK utility or re-firmware it.

Edit: if it's sluggish there's some form of corruption, which CHKDSK should fix and if not, re-firmware will for sure.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:36 PM

can't even get it past the boot screen to connect to usb. just gets stuck

Old 07-10-2012, 03:47 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
can't even get it past the boot screen to connect to usb. just gets stuck
I would try leaving it alone for a few days, it kills the battery and when next you try it, just go for a connection to see if it comes back connected (like I said above, it worked for me once a few times). If all else fails, you can use this method, but I would leave this for last resort.

Last edited by WalkGood; 07-25-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You don't have to boot the player before connecting it to the pc.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:45 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
You don't have to boot the player before connecting it to the pc.
Good point, I never boot mine to connect, I just connect in what ever state it's in, usually in the off position unless I was using it.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have had this problem a couple of times and they have always come back to life.

Sometimes you have to let the battery run down and then charge it using AC power

If you have a SD card in it try taking it out and then try powering it on

Old 08-25-2012, 05:34 AM

So, mine Clip+ bricked while changing song on Rockbox, about an hour ago but i managed to revive it. I've tried holding reset for 10-15 seconds and no reaction (normally Clip would reset), i've tried holding it for over an minute and nothing again. I hooked it to PC, nothing, heh even PC didn't recognize it. After 30 minutes i hooked it again, but this time it was laptop, and again nothing but after 15 seconds holding on reset button (while it was connected) it got back to life

I remember i had similar problem few months ago, also while changing song, Clip freezed but after reseting it, it powered on with no problem.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:53 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakbeat View Post
So, mine Clip+ bricked while changing song on Rockbox, about an hour ago but i managed to revive it. I've tried holding reset for 10-15 seconds and no reaction (normally Clip would reset), i've tried holding it for over an minute and nothing again. I hooked it to PC, nothing, heh even PC didn't recognize it. After 30 minutes i hooked it again, but this time it was laptop, and again nothing but after 15 seconds holding on reset button (while it was connected) it got back to life

I remember i had similar problem few months ago, also while changing song, Clip freezed but after reseting it, it powered on with no problem.
Since you state that you have had this problem before, I would recommend that you check it out more seriously. Corrupt files, corrupt firmware is what I would check first as what you describe is not normal. While in the early days clip v1 rockbox may have been unstable, it does not cause what you describe now. I’ve been running it out of the box without issue and this is why I say you should check yours. If it's not the fw, it could be a corrupt music/data file in there.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:08 AM

Hehe, actually it's bricked again even if i manage to turn it on, it immediately freezes with image of usb charging, with SD card and without it doesn't matter. Damn, and i was so glad i managed to revive it

Old 08-25-2012, 07:35 AM
ABI Invaluable

From your description I do not think your player is bricked, rather you may have a damaged filesystem. If holding the power button for 30 seconds or more does not work, you can leave it alone until the battery discharges (no more than 2 weeks). After that you’ll need to connect it and fix the file system. If it still does not correct your issues, which I think it should you can read http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS#Unbricking

Old 08-25-2012, 08:05 AM

The funny thing is that Clip+ was doing just fine in the morning, and it bricked on second song from album I encoded with new version of ogg AoTuv, maybe it was software conflict? But on the other hand that album was on SD card and without SD i doesn't want to work either.

Thanks for the tip, guess i'll have to leave it for some time, the worst part is that i don't have any other player at the moment, well I think it's time to move on to Clip Zip.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:38 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
The funny thing is that Clip+ was doing just fine in the morning, and it bricked on second song from album I encoded with new version of ogg AoTuv, maybe it was software conflict? But on the other hand that album was on SD card and without SD i doesn't want to work either.
It’s hard to identify just which file corrupted the rockbox firmware. At this point (once you can connect) you must re-firmware, format the sd card and check all your files before you load them onto the player.

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, guess i'll have to leave it for some time, the worst part is that i don't have any other player at the moment, well I think it's time to move on to Clip Zip.
I seriously think you can fix this issue but if you want a new zip, it's just as nice IMO. The zip is in the same league as the plus IMO, other than the color screen which isn’t necessary unless you want to display AA.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:31 AM

So it turn out that when i plug it to PC, i can see it as usb massive storage and system immediately wants to format Clip, but when i hit format button it shows that device has only 4mb capacity and when i try to format Clip, it says that it can't be formated.

The funny thing is that when i try to reset it while pluged, after 15 second it actually resets and disappearing from device list in My Computer, and it appears again after 10 seconds.

That Clip is really messed up, I'm afraid.