android
Old 02-23-2011, 11:49 PM

Default Hidden Music on My Clip +

I store music by Album on my Clip+.
I do this by opening My Documents where the Albums are stored. Then I go to My Computer on the desktop, open it. Then I click on the Sansa Clip+ icon, then Internal memory. I then drag and drop albums into the Music folder in the clip+'s internal memory.

Question: I also delete the albums I do not want to have on the Clip+ by accessing the music folder on the clip via My Computer, and I right click my mouse and hit delete...and the Album disappears. It seems to free up space on the Clip + so that I can load more albums.

I no longer see the album in the Music folder on the Clip+. However, when I go walking and listen to the Clip+....all the 'deleted' albums, are still there...and I can play them. How do I get rid of them? What am I doing wrong?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-24-2011, 12:05 AM

Any chance you used MTP mode for transfer in the past?

Old 02-24-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esanthosh View Post
Any chance you used MTP mode for transfer in the past?
Honestly I don't know. I've never synchronized, just dragged and dropped as I mention above. I may not have mentioned that I rip them using Windows Media Player. I'd just like to remove some old albums and am not sure how to.

I don't even see a setting for MSC or MTP. Now, I use both Clip's and Clip +'s and one Fuze which does have a MicroSD card.

Just spent a bit searching the site for MTP vs MSC...still not finding an answer.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

In the settings menu, look for USB mode. If you've not been aware of its existence, then your player is most likely in "Auto-defect" mode, as I call it....so it defaults to MTP if it can, but sometimes goes into an MSC type mode.

Your best bet is to remove all music from the player, with your computer.....disconnect it, then go to the USB menu and select MSC, and then reload your player. Instead of "internal memory" you will just see the other folders....music, podcasts, videos, recordings, etc. Drag and drop will be a snap, and when you delete tunes, they will be gone, not just hidden.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
In the settings menu, look for USB mode. If you've not been aware of its existence, then your player is most likely in "Auto-defect" mode, as I call it....so it defaults to MTP if it can, but sometimes goes into an MSC type mode.

Your best bet is to remove all music from the player, with your computer.....disconnect it, then go to the USB menu and select MSC, and then reload your player. Instead of "internal memory" you will just see the other folders....music, podcasts, videos, recordings, etc. Drag and drop will be a snap, and when you delete tunes, they will be gone, not just hidden.
You da man! Thanks!!

Old 02-26-2011, 12:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavenfish View Post
You da man! Thanks!!
My pleasure.....enjoy the Clip+!

Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 PM

Hi there, apologies for necroing a thread with my first post but I have this same problem with my Sansa Clip. I've followed the instructions in the thread but the albums still appear in the Music menu of the Clip - when I connect it to my PC, the Music folder shows as empty. Any suggestions as to how I delete entire albums from the device and make them actually disappear, please?

Old 08-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Redneck Moderator

Did you check the music folder in MTP mode? When you switch you have to go in to MTP mode and get all your music then switch and paste in MSC mode.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 08-20-2012, 10:48 PM

Not sure what you mean. I tried switching between MTP and MSC mode, regardless of the setting in the USB menu the deleted albums still appeared on the player although they didn't show in the folder when it was connected to the PC, and Properties on the folder still showed the albums taking memory space.

Edit: my scenario is ever so slightly different to the OP's, although probably not different at all. I am using a Linux machine, when I connect the Clip it launches a folder view which shows me the folders on the device - Music, Audiobooks, Podcasts etc. I have been copying albums and podcasts into the respective folders, if I delete them using the menu on the device then they disappear for good but if I do it via the PC, the PC stops seeing their presence but they're still available to me using the device menus and the Properties view shows them taking up the space. I've just formatted the device to get rid of them all, but I'm going to have the same problem again once I get it filled up. The only way I can actually delete the music is going song by song via the device.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:04 AM
Administrator

"Linux" covers a lot of territory and I'm no Linux expert so take this in that context.
I noticed folders that start with "." are hidden by default in Ubuntu Linux. When I delete a file on the Clip+ it isn't permanently deleted from the player immediately. It goes to a folder named ".Trash". I can no longer see that folder or it's contents as the leading "." causes it to be hidden in the file browser.

The Clip+ locates all recognized music files during it's database refresh. The leading "." doesn't hide it from the internal database refresh. Once the refresh is over it displays the contents of the folder I can't see in the Linux file browser.

If that's what's happening here files you should see that folder if you enable hidden viewing hidden files. Once you delete that folder permanently the files are fully deleted from the file system and you shouldn't see them anymore.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:17 AM

Also, if you hold shift while deleting, the files will be permanently deleted.

Ctrl+H shows hidden entries (prefixed with a dot) in Nautilus (Gnome).

Old 08-21-2012, 07:52 AM

Gentlemen, you are both every kind of awesome. That resolves the issue perfectly.