android
Old 08-09-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
Weedalin, on a seperate note, welcome back!
Thank ya! It's nice to be remembered. C=

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I like Digitally Imported

http://www.di.fm/

Old 08-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb52 View Post
I like Digitally Imported

http://www.di.fm/
I'll be checking this one out, thanks for sharing!

Old 08-10-2011, 03:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergivs View Post
It's cool but kinda all sounds the same, what's the point?

I have to disagree , it does not sound all the same

Old 08-10-2011, 03:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I'll be checking this one out, thanks for sharing!

Anytime Marvin

Old 08-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Grooveshark FTW.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:37 AM

usually listen to NME radio to hear some new music from artists i never heard of before.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:06 PM

I hadn't heard of NME before. I'll check it out, thanks. I've been getting a lot out of Last.fm recently, as well.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:23 PM

Go to music shows. As a street musician said to me while I was a pre-schooler in San Francisco. " the best music won't be heard on the Radio, rarely on a record but, live," I never forgot that. Chat it up with musicians about music they like. Along those lines hang out with musicians.

Got to record stores and hang out and buy music. I have found a lot of great music that way. Buy cut-outs and used media you know nothing about. It is hit and miss but the hits make up for it. Make friends with the shop keepers and chat it up during slow times.

Talk about music any chance you get. I was Hee Haw USA and had a nice discussion about Steve Reich. Whom I knew nothing about.

Listen to Public Radio/College-High School Stations

Read music rags. Back in the day Huh and CMJ would put a CD in their mags before the internet.

Join sites like iTunes, emusic and amazon and post what you like you will get recommendations from them.

Visit AMG (all music guide) and explore influences of bands you do like and bands like them.

Go to YouTube, MySpace and facebook and look at friends of bands you like. You will find some interesting bands there.

Finding music for me is like osmosis...it finds me these days I don't really have to look for it.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diechipmunk View Post
I hadn't heard of NME before. I'll check it out, thanks. I've been getting a lot out of Last.fm recently, as well.
yeah long time ago i was browsing the itunes radio to see what it had and NME was under alternative i think well ever since i been hooked, i dont listen to them as much as i used too but they have major artists and then some new and upcoming bands which is cool since they are in UK I heard of some people/bands before they got big in the states

Old 08-17-2012, 02:50 AM

I'm using http://www.music-map.com/ since a few months and I'm surprised nobody mentionned this. I have discovered dozens of artists I really like using this tool.

You just input an artist's name and it will give you a map of other artists. The nearest to the centre are the most similar artists, and as you go farther it becomes more and more different.

I simply search for the artists I find on youtube and listen a bit to how they sound. I only go to the middle of the map usually, after it gets a bit too far from the artist usually.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:15 PM

music map looks nice, but you get the same result with last.fm, which is more comfortable and has additional features. I've also downloaded spotify to try it out. however the best recommendations yet were from my friends in real life. I know spotify has this feature but its not the same.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:46 PM

Go to a cool bar or watch movies

Old 12-17-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diechipmunk View Post
I like Pandora and Slacker for entering a band I know and getting "similar" content, but their catalogs are somewhat limited.
Are you sure it's their catalogs that are limited and not your approach?

Is that how you usually explore music with those services? It could be that the mixes are limited, given the artist. Browsing artists or albums may turn up something more interesting.

Another thing to do, especially with blues and jazz, is to search by song title using old warhorses - things that may be recorded by dozens of artists. You'll find many artists you've never heard of. Not all within the strictly defined genre of the original, but that makes it even better, IMO.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:11 AM

Amazon. Don't know how many amazing artists I've discovered just from browsing through the suggested titles. There is so much great music out there right now it blows my mind.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

My favorite is still Pandora for finding new stuff I've never heard of. I just type in whatever band I am currently listening to a lot, and wait and see what comes up in the feed.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I need to find a way to discover new music. Never thought about just browsing through Amazon's lists. I'll also try out Pandora again.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 01-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
I need to find a way to discover new music. Never thought about just browsing through Amazon's lists. I'll also try out Pandora again.
You need to be able to sit there and pay attention to it. Punch in an artist to create a channel, and use the bio feature to explore the artist behind each song (on the Chrome desktop app, not your Touch). Or, listen to it on your Touch but be in front of your computer so you can Google each artist as you go...

Old 01-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

I prefer You Tube and Pandora to disciver new music. All one has to do using You Tube is "audition" music by looking up the artist. If the music is not to one's liking, then there's no need to purchase it. Also, there are similar suggestions provided after choosing the artist.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:09 AM

There is an awesome app that I have on my Kindle Fire called Songza, it is free and plays music based on activity/time of day, for instance, at night, there are options for winding down, etc. in the morning there are options for charging your day etc. Its a rather neat little app to fool with and find new music.