android
Old 08-08-2012, 01:32 PM

Question MicroSD card not recognized

I'm trying to resuscitate an e280 with a 4GB microSD card. The 280 has the latest V1 firmware aboard.

I just reformatted (fat32) the microSD card this morning and my PC recognized it. I then inserted it into the e280 and have connected the Sansa to my PC in both MTP and MSC modes. The microSD card isn't recognized at all by the PC when the e280 is in MTP mode. When it's in MSC mode, Windows Explorer assigns the microSD a drive letter, but I cannot access that drive. Nor can I format it from the drive's context menu.

What's up? I have testing to do and need Windows Explorer to recognize the microSD card.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Administrator

The max card size for a V1 e2xx series player is 2 GB in the sandisk firmware. Rockbox does away with that limit but if you need the OF for your testing you'll need to find a smaller microSD card.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:12 PM

Thanks, Skip. I picked that info up in another thread this morning, but it's nice that you've confirmed this.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Administrator

When you say the latest firmware I hope you don't mean one after 1.02.18. Those that came after that were very unstable and would crash to the point of needing a complete recovery. I found that out the hard way after spending a lot of time fixing some I had "updated" for family members and myself.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:32 PM

Crap... yes... I just upgraded mine from .18A to .24A yesterday. Where can I get a copy of .18A for a V1 unit?

Old 08-08-2012, 05:47 PM

Question Need old V1 firmware - .18A

Would anyone have a copy of the 01.02.18A firmware? Thanks.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Here ya go. No need for another thread.

http://mp3support.sandisk.com/firmwa...101.02.18a.zip

BTW there's probably more useful information here in the E200 subforum than anywhere else on the 'Net. If you're looking for just about anything I'd search there first. You sometimes have to do a google with your search terms suffixed with "anythingbutipod" since the forums software won't search 3 characters or less.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
When you say the latest firmware I hope you don't mean one after 1.02.18. Those that came after that were very unstable and would crash to the point of needing a complete recovery. I found that out the hard way after spending a lot of time fixing some I had "updated" for family members and myself.
As a minor addition, you may come across a firmware that starts with 1.03, IIRC. It was a beta firmware from someplace European, I think. I wouldn't try it. Much more bad can come of it than good haha

Old 08-09-2012, 11:30 AM

Thanks, Skip. Yes, I always come to ABI first before going anywhere else, what with the bulk of the Sansa-sanctioned forums being for, and moderated by, lusers. I had given up on my e280 v1 a couple of years back when, after complaining LOUDLY, SanDisk sent me a Fuze as a replacement. I haven't looked back... UNTIL my sister started recently peppering me with questions about her e260 and WMP-generated WML playlists (yeah, I know). And I'd forgotten all about the 2GB microSD limitation. Sadly to say, I'm not about to get sis to Rockbox her unit, so I'm doing my best to coach her regarding playlist generation.

Oh, and I was able to successfully downgrade my e280 to FW .18. Thanks again.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagdriver View Post
Oh, and I was able to successfully downgrade my e280 to FW .18. Thanks again.
Good to hear that. Downgrading in that series firmware hasn't ever been a problem for me. Fortunately I never tried the beta version steinburger1109 mentions. I read some real horror stories about permanent bricking that came from that firmware.

My problems came because I waited until the players had crashed and had to completely recover them. Once I figured how to use a Linux Live CD it wasn't hard, just time consuming.

I hear you on people not wanting to deal with Rockbox. Same on using that piece of junk WMP to manage their players. There's at least a half dozen sandisk players in my immediate family, none of them Rockboxed except mine. The media managers of choice are WMP or iTunes.

That is part of how I've come to the point of view each person should use what's best for them. I'm sure all my family enjoys their music equally, we just have different ways of reaching that enjoyment level.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
As a minor addition, you may come across a firmware that starts with 1.03, IIRC. It was a beta firmware from someplace European, I think. I wouldn't try it. Much more bad can come of it than good haha
Ah, the beta Hebrew firmware. Yes, for many it was a PITA.