android
Old 08-03-2012, 11:42 AM

Default Weird noises coming from my Clip Zip when I hug it against my ear.

Hello,
I got the Clip Zip yesterday and I can hear a weird whistling coming from it when the screen is on (nothing when the screen doesn't display anything). Is that normal? Should I be worried? It goes like "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee".
I only can hear it when I put the player against my ear, but still.
It does so with OF as well as with Rockbox, so hardware issue I presume?

Thank you for your attention.
Have a good day

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-03-2012, 01:10 PM

Not normal, have it replaced if an update to the latest firmware doesn't eliminate it.

Edit: I responded quickly in this post and had forgotten about my original testing of this issue, so I would go with what I wrote here stating that I hear a faint sound but it's not an issue for me. That said, I'd still have it replaced if it's not faint or it's an issue.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 08-04-2012 at 05:27 AM.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If with both firmwares, most likely a hardware issue. I'd return the player and get a new one. You might try reapplying the latest firmware first, though--easy enough to do, and it has fixed issues in the past.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:50 AM
Administrator

Before you return it I'd take a look at this thread. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=68418

Clips make an internal noise. Returning it won't hurt anything but I doubt the new unit will be completely silent. Yours may be particularly loud due to a defect or it just may be that your hearing is sharper than most. A return would probably be the only way to judge if you have a bad unit.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Before you return it I'd take a look at this thread. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=68418

Clips make an internal noise. Returning it won't hurt anything but I doubt the new unit will be completely silent. Yours may be particularly loud due to a defect or it just may be that your hearing is sharper than most. A return would probably be the only way to judge if you have a bad unit.
Thanks for the reminder skip, I had to edit my original response here because I had completely forgotten that I previously tested this. Although this goes to show that in my book this isn't an issue.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:39 AM

Thanks for your answers.
Well I returned the player and I'll let you know about the new one. Amazon already shipped it and it's on its way
The noise is not annoying one bit since I have to put the player against my ear to hear it, but still it doesn't sound normal. Can anyone do the test and let me know what you hear when you put your player against your ear?

Anyway, thank you all. Great community on these forums

Last edited by st4rmatt; 08-06-2012 at 03:55 AM.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by st4rmatt View Post
Thanks for your answers.
Well I returned the player and I'll let you know about the new one. Amazon already shipped it and it's on its way
The noise is not annoying one bit since I have to put the player against my ear to hear it, but still it doesn't sound normal. Can anyone do the test and let me know what you hear when you put your player against your ear?

Anyway, thank you all. Great community on these forums
I hear funny noises when I hold my hand against my ear. I hear the same noise when I hold a Clip Zip or Clip+ against my ear. I'm guessing that it's not my players.

Not sure whether this is helpful or not.

Steve

Old 08-06-2012, 09:46 AM

Thank you for your input Steve. It was somewhat kind of helpful, somehow.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Administrator

If you read the thread I linked you'll see that others have done the test and heard noises. There's definitely noises associated with the screen being used with mine.

There may be other times it makes internal noises as well. I don't listen to the back of my player much so I haven't tried to perform exhaustive testing.

You've done the return so when you get the new one you can check and see if the noise seems as loud or doesn't exist. If it changes you'll have a better idea if your original was defective. If nothing changes it would seem they all make the noise.

Actually, that's not quite true. You could get another defective one if it's actually a defect. The only way to fully check would be to test several units from different batches. That would probably involve getting units from unrelated vendors or multiple sources. I'm not sure if you'll find that all that worth the effort.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
... The only way to fully check would be to test several units from different batches. That would probably involve getting units from unrelated vendors or multiple sources. I'm not sure if you'll find that all that worth the effort.
I think that several of us have tested it and hear it, this is enough for me to believe that it's there. I doubt yours, mine or another persons came from the same batch, I'd be more apt to believe we tested from different batches, but this is only an assumption. As you say, I don't think this is worth the effort. My player is far enough from my ear that I over look this issue and it doesn't introduce any noise into the music.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I think that several of us have tested it and hear it, this is enough for me to believe that it's there. I doubt yours, mine or another persons came from the same batch, I'd be more apt to believe we tested from different batches, but this is only an assumption. As you say, I don't think this is worth the effort. My player is far enough from my ear that I over look this issue and it doesn't introduce any noise into the music.
Yeah. I mean, I read the other post, and it's not an annoying issue. But I'm just concern if it's going to decrease the life span of the player. I just want to know if it's something I need to be ok with or not!

Old 08-06-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
... I'm just concern if it's going to decrease the life span of the player. I just want to know if it's something I need to be ok with or not!
I can safely say that this same issue happens on the e200 series, clip v1s & v2s. I own the e260 and several clips that are years old, they are all still running fine.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Can anyone do the test and let me know what you hear when you put your player against your ear?
Unless the noise is above 17,500 hz (which is my tested upper threshold), mine is dead silent.

I'll see if I can get my dog to listen to it later and let you know what he thinks.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
...the noise is above 17,500 hz (which is my tested upper threshold)
On a side note, how does one perform such a test?

Old 08-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I don't listen to the back of my player much so I haven't tried to perform exhaustive testing.
Well I tried listening to the front of my players. Guess I'll try the back if I get bored.

Steve

Old 08-06-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
On a side note, how does one perform such a test?
http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests...ycheckhigh.php.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Thank you sir, I've learned yet another thing about myself!

Old 08-07-2012, 11:53 AM

Alright. So the new one does the same thing. I guess I'll be content with that for now

Old 08-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Pretty much figured that's what it would be. Every sandisk player I have makes some type of noise if you listen to the player closely enough. It didn't hurt to check it out though.

I wouldn't think the noises would affect the durability. My oldest Clip is a V2 8 GB I got about 3 years ago. The battery life is down from when it was new but the otherwise it works just fine. Only time will tell with the Clip Zip color screen I'd guess. I've seen reports of them having a line in them when they're new but I don't remember seeing any reports of them failing in use yet.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
... I wouldn't think the noises would affect the durability. ...
I agree, no issues to durability or the overall sound quality, as long as it's not next to your ear while playing tunes