android
Old 08-01-2012, 01:58 PM

Default The best mp3 player to optimize home theater setup?

I recently bought an onkyo 600 watt theater system for my room at my house in college. My roommate and I have the entire basement so noise is not a problem haha. The system sounds great, and the 10 in sub it came with shocked me on loudness/clarity. Being as impressed as I am, i figured it would be useful to buy an mp3 player to hook up to it that's sound quality would bring out the best in the speakers. I assume my macbook air and ipod touch aren't doing it justice with their weak sound cards. I mainly listen to electronic/dubstep which i place a high premium on the bass and crispness of the high electronic notes, but I also listen to linkin park and just normal rock with an electronic/mixed background. I play it pretty loud and will want to jam when I have people in my room.

So far my top candidates are the Cowon i9/i10 or the s9/x7 as well as the zune hd. I will take it with me as I listen to my Ultrasone headphones, but it would mainly stay in my room hooked up to the system. I really just want one that will deliver premium sound quality so I know i'm getting the best sound out of my speakers. All opinions and feedback are appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by mrfreeze24; 08-01-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: originally miswrote s9

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-01-2012, 04:39 PM

Keep your macbook hooked up at home and select a DAP for on the go with the features that would keep you happy for portable use. If the macbook’s soundcard isn’t good, just get an external DAC that bypassed your soundcard. Heck the ipod touch with good headphones and a good EQ app would do the trick.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Tags
bass, cowon, mp3 players, sound quality