android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-21-2012, 03:16 AM
TotallydubbedHD's Avatar
TotallydubbedHD TotallydubbedHD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 51
Question Custom Sleeves or even remoulding PFE products?

Hey guys,

Was wondering if this is actually possible, and if so, if anyone has any experience or input of which companies to use?

I've got the PFE232's, and wondered if custom sleeves might do them justice?

-Dubbed
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 05-21-2012, 07:13 AM
jupitreas's Avatar
jupitreas jupitreas is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 380
Default

Hi,

I once contacted Spiral Ear about making custom sleeves for my PFE 112. They replied that the PFE 112 is difficult to impossible to make sleeves for due to their shape. I have no idea if this still applies to the PFE 232. Either way, Spiral Ear was very helpful and not too expensive either, so you might want to contact them. I'd imagine other custom IEM makers would also have this service.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 05-21-2012, 07:53 AM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

jupitreas it seems that supplier/manufacturer (Spiral Ear) is honest and did whats right for the customer rather than taking your money and later you being unhappy. I always applaud companies that forgo the profit by doing what is right

*btw I say this without knowing anything about Spiral Ear.
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 05-21-2012, 08:08 AM
TotallydubbedHD's Avatar
TotallydubbedHD TotallydubbedHD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post
Hi,

I once contacted Spiral Ear about making custom sleeves for my PFE 112. They replied that the PFE 112 is difficult to impossible to make sleeves for due to their shape. I have no idea if this still applies to the PFE 232. Either way, Spiral Ear was very helpful and not too expensive either, so you might want to contact them. I'd imagine other custom IEM makers would also have this service.
many thanks for the heads-up....well actually that does explain a few things.
The PFE's, comply wise use the T130's, their core is a little bigger than the shure's T100 size, or the westone's or the MG7's nozzle.

Seeing as there might not be much demand + is literally company specific, is probably the reason why i couldn't find any.

The PFE112 & 232 share the same nozzles...so no luck for me


Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
jupitreas it seems that supplier/manufacturer (Spiral Ear) is honest and did whats right for the customer rather than taking your money and later you being unhappy. I always applaud companies that forgo the profit by doing what is right

*btw I say this without knowing anything about Spiral Ear.
always a good sign!
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 05-21-2012, 06:53 PM
jupitreas's Avatar
jupitreas jupitreas is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
jupitreas it seems that supplier/manufacturer (Spiral Ear) is honest and did whats right for the customer rather than taking your money and later you being unhappy. I always applaud companies that forgo the profit by doing what is right

*btw I say this without knowing anything about Spiral Ear.
They are a custom IEM manufacturer based in Poland. I am not in the market for custom IEMs so I can't really comment about their IEMs, but they do offer custom sleeves for all compatible universal IEMs at what seems like a reasonable price of 69 EUR + ear impressions + postage. I guess that would make a total of about 100 EUR which does not seem like a lot of money for this sort of thing.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 05-21-2012, 07:16 PM
TotallydubbedHD's Avatar
TotallydubbedHD TotallydubbedHD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 51
Default

^That is actually not bad

Considering FS charge something like 170€ for their sleeves...
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 05-21-2012, 11:38 PM
jupitreas's Avatar
jupitreas jupitreas is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallydubbedHD View Post
The PFE112 & 232 share the same nozzles...so no luck for me
I'm sorry, I didn't notice this post before... Sprial Ear cited the shape of the enclosure as problematic, not the nozzle. The nozzle is actually pretty standard-size for BA-based universal IEMs. For example, my Q-Jays also have the exact-same nozzles and as far as I know, it is very easy to make custom sleeves for them (in fact, JAYS offers this option on their website).

I think it would be a good idea to ask Spiral Ear or some other custom IEM manufacturer if they'd be willing to create sleeves for the PFE232. Perhaps they are different enough from the 112 for it to be possible to make custom sleeves for them...
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 05-22-2012, 05:50 AM
TotallydubbedHD's Avatar
TotallydubbedHD TotallydubbedHD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 51
Default

PFE's are 0.03mm/0.3mm i think bigger than the shures - from what I think via comply.

They could make a special order...I'll drop em an email i guess!
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 05-22-2012, 07:08 AM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post
The nozzle is actually pretty standard-size for BA-based universal IEMs. ...
Not on the A161Ps or the SBA-03, the nozzle is approximately 4mm compared to most others I've seen are 3mm. There's also a notch on the nozzle.
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 07-27-2012, 02:28 PM
TotallydubbedHD's Avatar
TotallydubbedHD TotallydubbedHD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 51
Default

So here's the updates:

I've just emailed spiral.
And I've been in communication with 1964ears.
1964 were quite slow with their replies, and I've had to do my impressions 3x, and they still aren't happy with them.

Long story short, any UK companies that do the impressions + the moulding, or even any USA companies in Los Angeles? As I'll be heading there for a month.

This is again, for the PFE 232's
__________________
Visit my Website - for reviews, unboxing, and guides !

My ABI Feedback thread
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 07-27-2012, 03:10 PM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallydubbedHD View Post
... I've had to do my impressions 3x, and they still aren't happy with them. ...
I had to do mine twice, believe me if they're not happy with the impressions you won't be happy with the fit ... So it's better to do it right the first time. I've read too many times where others had to have them re-fitted later, shaved or built up and the results aren't pretty.
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 07-27-2012, 03:15 PM
TotallydubbedHD's Avatar
TotallydubbedHD TotallydubbedHD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I had to do mine twice, believe me if they're not happy with the impressions you won't be happy with the fit ... So it's better to do it right the first time. I've read too many times where others had to have them re-fitted later, shaved or built up and the results aren't pretty.
I know bro, its just that I don't get what's the problem this time.
No explanation given, and slow replies...
I've asked ACS again + hifi headphones.

I rather get it done when I get my impressions + sleeves in one place.
__________________
Visit my Website - for reviews, unboxing, and guides !

My ABI Feedback thread
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 07-27-2012, 03:43 PM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallydubbedHD View Post
I know bro, its just that I don't get what's the problem this time.
No explanation given, and slow replies...
I've asked ACS again + hifi headphones.

I rather get it done when I get my impressions + sleeves in one place.
Not sure what your issue is but mine was the first audiologist I used didn't make mine deep enough and also it had a little line in one of the molds. Well I tried the free route and it didn't work, the second time around I used an audiologist that has made them for many bands that use UE monitors and that did the trick. Her first shot even I could tell the difference in quality/fit
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 07-27-2012, 03:46 PM
TotallydubbedHD's Avatar
TotallydubbedHD TotallydubbedHD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Not sure what your issue is but mine was the first audiologist I used didn't make mine deep enough and also it had a little line in one of the molds. Well I tried the free route and it didn't work, the second time around I used an audiologist that has made them for many bands that use UE monitors and that did the trick. Her first shot even I could tell the difference in quality/fit
well first time round, it wasn't satisfactory for the audiologist, so she re-did it.
Then 2nd time round, it wasn't smooth enough for 1964
and now, 3rd time round, no idea.

And that's my point I rather now go via someone who makes the sleeves too
__________________
Visit my Website - for reviews, unboxing, and guides !

My ABI Feedback thread
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 07-28-2012, 06:45 AM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallydubbedHD View Post
well first time round, it wasn't satisfactory for the audiologist, so she re-did it.
Then 2nd time round, it wasn't smooth enough for 1964
and now, 3rd time round, no idea.

And that's my point I rather now go via someone who makes the sleeves too
Again, better before they make the monitor housing/custom tip than after and you're dissatisfaction. My second go was with an audiologist on UE's list and I found her so good that I recommend her to others for general services. She has state of the art gear and mini cams that allow you to see more than you want at times.

BTW I'll give her a cheap plug here, she's that good

A Atlantic Hearing Aid Center
Maria D. Rosa, H.I.S.
2310 East Oakland Park Boulevard
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33306 United States
Tel: 954-563-4226
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 07-28-2012, 05:27 PM
TotallydubbedHD's Avatar
TotallydubbedHD TotallydubbedHD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Again, better before they make the monitor housing/custom tip than after and you're dissatisfaction. My second go was with an audiologist on UE's list and I found her so good that I recommend her to others for general services. She has state of the art gear and mini cams that allow you to see more than you want at times.

BTW I'll give her a cheap plug here, she's that good

A Atlantic Hearing Aid Center
Maria D. Rosa, H.I.S.
2310 East Oakland Park Boulevard
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33306 United States
Tel: 954-563-4226
only 43hrs drive from LA....lol
__________________
Visit my Website - for reviews, unboxing, and guides !

My ABI Feedback thread
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 07-28-2012, 10:33 PM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallydubbedHD View Post
only 43hrs drive from LA....lol
Nope in CA they have plenty and in LA they have Jami Tanihana, Los Angeles, CA 818-521-1051. If you want others on the west coast click here, scroll to the bottom, select country, state and city. Hopefully they have someone in your area.
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 07-29-2012, 10:20 PM
TotallydubbedHD's Avatar
TotallydubbedHD TotallydubbedHD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Nope in CA they have plenty and in LA they have Jami Tanihana, Los Angeles, CA 818-521-1051. If you want others on the west coast click here, scroll to the bottom, select country, state and city. Hopefully they have someone in your area.
cheers mate
__________________
Visit my Website - for reviews, unboxing, and guides !

My ABI Feedback thread
Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
custom sleeves, pfe, pfe232, remoulding

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 PM.