android
Old 07-24-2012, 07:03 AM

Default Cheap but good tab for 11 yr. Old daughter

Okay, with her birthday and Christmas around the corner, trying to get some ideas about tablets here. I haven't messed with them that much myself. Some of the guidelines to keep in mind:

She is 11 years old, so ease of use would be great.
Stay under $120-$130 if possible (cheap but reliable).
Used for games, apps, reading books, internet, etc.
Has USB ports as we do not have a router yet (plan to get one soon, but still needs USB ports).

Anything else you can think of would be a great help.

By the way, the Sansa Clip+ you guys suggested for a Christmas present last year was a hit. Still going strong.

Thanks again.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you don't have a router, how will you be able to get onto the Internet with the tablet? Are you also looking for a cellular connection in the tablet?

A tablet you might like to look into is a Barnes and Noble Color Nook, in refurb. form. It can be found for around $130 (and sometimes less) and really is a nifty lower-cost tablet. Not the best for Internet surfing due to its 7" screen size, in my opinion (but some people like a 7" size, and especially for a child with smaller hands, that might be perfect).

I currently see it at $135 shipped from Barnes and Noble itself, as well as, via eBay, from other sellers at lower costs. It sometimes has been sold on eBay by Barnes and Noble for as low as $109, if I recall correctly.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/cert...ble/1100666155

A word about the refurb. nature of these: at least with the tablets coming from Barnes and Noble itself, people typically say that they seem just like new units; and they also come with a full Barnes and Noble warranty, just like new tablets. The savings, then, potentially very much worth it, it seems to me.

I always am impressed with this tablet, given its form factor and cost.

Oh, and by the way: as it comes out of the box, you can use it to get onto the Internet. However, if you wish, you also easily can "root" the tablet to make it into a full-functioning Android tablet. Rooting can be done on the tablet itself or via an SD card. it really seems to be an easy process. But if it concerns you, you also can purchase an SD card that already has the rooting capability installed onto it.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Imo these will probably be much cheaper around Thanksgiving. If you don't need it until the end of the year, it makes sense to shop towards the end of November.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:38 PM

Thanks for the replies. As far as the router and internet go, we will be getting a router shortly. How difficult is it to hook up a router and get all the security correct? Also, thanks for the suggestions for my daughter. I will keep it all in mind.

If any other ideas come up, please share.

Thanks again.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Not sure where you're located, but Fry's Electronics currently has the Barnes and Noble Color Nook refurb. available in-store for $119.99 (currently, out-of-stock for shipping).

http://www.frys.com/product/6897026?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Old 07-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegefbfan8898 View Post
How difficult is it to hook up a router and get all the security correct?
I think my last router had step by step instructions that came with it as to how to set up a password and everything.