android
Old 07-23-2012, 05:03 PM

Default Rockbox - SD Card & Internal Memory - Alt Solutions

Today I finally worked up my courage enough to go download rockbox and install it on my clip zip. Besides nerd bragging rights I mostly wanted the ability to make and save playlists on the go, and a database to integrate the internal memory and SD card so I could make playlists that would mix and match from both memories. But after installing it I'm not so sure I want to keep it. I've always been a fan of Sansa's UI in the fuze and even the simpler clip. It's fast, simple, and intuitive. Rockbox to be blunt is too complex. The text is way too small and hard to read and buttons assume inconsistent meanings in different contexts. I tried installing themes but these seem to only affect the while playing screen. I like the extra power, but the cost seems fairly steep. Am I missing something in terms of customization? I did read through the manual but may have missed some things. I would mainly like to customize the launch/home screen to be much simpler and go straight to what I want.

Is ABC browsing disabled in rockbox? I didn't find it in the manual. I found this feature essential for the clip and that's probably another deal breaker for me if it doesn't work in rock box.

Is there any other way to have playlists that read off the internal memory and SD card? It is annoying that when I sync over a playlist it can only consider one memory unit at a time, apart from rockbox I have no idea if people have come up with another solution for this issue.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Actually, ABC browsing is the original Rockbox browsing form. What makes you think that you don't have it?

As to the screen, yes, the default screen that comes with the firmware is, well, less than what is an industry standard, driven, at least in part, by the fact that the firmware works for numerous players, not just the Clips. Thankfully, though, there are a number of alternate screens ("themes") you easily can put on your player--you also can create your own.

The screens/themes that others have developed, and that may be downloaded:

http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?target=sansaclipzip

As you will see, there are quite a few of them (29 at the moment), from simple to complex, and creative. Definitely worth checking out!

Old 07-23-2012, 08:22 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbilkit View Post
... Is ABC browsing disabled in rockbox? I didn't find it in the manual. I found this feature essential for the clip and that's probably another deal breaker for me if it doesn't work in rock box. ...
If you use the database browser, you can view your music thru categories (album, artist, genre, etc.) in ABC browsing.
Quote:
Quote from the rockbox manual:

4.1. File Browser

Rockbox lets you browse your music in either of two ways. The File Browser lets
you navigate through the files and directories on your player, entering directories and
executing the default action on each file. To help differentiate files, each file format is
displayed with an icon.

The Database Browser, on the other hand, allows you to navigate through the
music on your player using categories like album, artist, genre, etc.
You can select whether to browse using the File Browser or the Database Browser
by selecting either Files or Database in the Main Menu. If you choose the File
Browser, the Show Files setting lets you select what types of files you wish to view.
See section 8.2 (page 60) for more information on the Show Files setting.
Quote:
Is there any other way to have playlists that read off the internal memory and SD card? ...
Section 4.4. Working with Playlists, starts on page 33. AFAIK rockbox can use .m3u, .m3u8 file formats. There's a few tutorials within abi on the how to ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
The text is way too small and hard to read and buttons assume inconsistent meanings in different contexts. I tried installing themes but these seem to only affect the while playing screen. I like the extra power, but the cost seems fairly steep. Am I missing something in terms of customization?
Yeah, you can grab larger fonts from the rockbox webpage, or using the rockbox installer.

Quote:
Is there any other way to have playlists that read off the internal memory and SD card?
Yes, although you'll have to make sure the paths are correct. Playlists search the drive they're stored on by default, so if you want to store a playlist on one drive, and reference files on the other, you'll need to make sure the paths are right (e.g. /<microsd1>/folder1/file1.mp3).

Old 07-23-2012, 11:44 PM

you can increase the font size under settings>theme settings>font. playlists just hold down center button on the name of the file and click insert next. at the end save the playlist. not sure about the control for that but it should be simple enough to figure out.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:12 AM

I'd stick with it. I to felt a little over overwhelmed when I first loaded Rockbox. I certainly wouldn't be without it now. Yes there was a learning curve associated with using it. But anything new is like that. I've increased the font size so my 45 year old eyes can read my Clip Zip. I've also added some themes and change those as my mood takes me. Also I've got it working on my Archos tablet and am working on my own theme for that!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
If you use the database browser, you can view your music thru categories (album, artist, genre, etc.) in ABC browsing.
Sorry for not being clear. In the original sansa firmware a quick double tap on the select button allowed me to scan through my music by alphabet. i.e. A-B-C- etc. Yes rockbox is in alphabetical order but that's a lot of music to scroll through without a wheel.

Oh and thanks for the tip saratoga on playlists. I wouldn't have guessed it would be so simple. I'll keep trying some more themes. So far I haven't found anything I really like but it's probably worth some more effort. I looked through all those themes already, they include them in the rockbox utility. But most of them are designed to be used without scrollbars which I'm not too crazy about.

EDIT: Rockbox crashed on me after I added some .m4a files on my sd card. Even after deleting them it wouldn't load and I reinstalled it. Now after installing it the computer refuses to recognize the device unless I boot into the original firmware before connecting via USB. I'm still hoping that this can save me time in the long run but I'm losing hope at the moment. I guess I can try reformatting again.

Last edited by Gerbilkit; 07-24-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
EDIT: Rockbox crashed on me after I added some .m4a files on my sd card. Even after deleting them it wouldn't load and I reinstalled it. Now after installing it the computer refuses to recognize the device unless I boot into the original firmware before connecting via USB. I'm still hoping that this can save me time in the long run but I'm losing hope at the moment. I guess I can try reformatting again.
Did it work?

If i regret Rockboxing my Clip+ is there any way to revert back to the original firmware?

Old 07-26-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj christian View Post
If i regret Rockboxing my Clip+ is there any way to revert back to the original firmware?
Yep. Just uninstall Rockbox using the same Utility that you use to install it, and re-load a fresh unaltered copy of the original firmware.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:19 AM

Rockbox is dual boot. You can use the factory OS by holding the I<< button when turning it on, so for certain features that you like, just boot into the original OS when needed, and use the rockbox when needed. I must admit rockbox can be longwinded in some menus etc, but the player's sound quality is superior with the rockbox enhancements

Old 08-21-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctuk99 View Post
Rockbox is dual boot. You can use the factory OS by holding the I<< button when turning it on, so for certain features that you like, just boot into the original OS when needed, and use the rockbox when needed. I must admit rockbox can be longwinded in some menus etc, but the player's sound quality is superior with the rockbox enhancements
EQ differences? Can't believe it otherwise.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
It also corrects the ever-so-slight playback speed error in the original firmware. Of course, many people cannot hear that difference, so YMMV.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:

well with rockbox you have a lot more options with dynamic settings, such as stereo width, dithering, crossfeed etc, EQ wise you have precut, peak filters, high shelf filters. Also there is a compressor.Have a listen to some drums uncompressed, then compressed (there will be examples on youtube) and you'll see how important compression is. Pre rockbox the clip is pretty good SQ wise, for a £30 device it is brilliant. With the right settings with rockbox it is not too far off the SQ of the Cowon players, the clip replaced my bricked J3, and I'm not missing it that much now

Old 08-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Administrator

What you describe are tweaks you prefer, not superior sound quality. The actual sound quality is the same in Rockbox or the OF.

You may want to take a look at what dynamic range compression does. I find it sometimes helpful when listening in noisy situations but other than that it I just leave it off.

When it's noisy and I can't hear what it removes I don't mind having it on. Other than that I prefer to hear the full range available in my music.