android
Old 07-22-2012, 10:44 AM

Default Koss PortaPro re-cable

I don't know what exactly happened, but the cable had stiffen about 10 cm from the driver on both sides, so i wanted to re-cable them, the problem is that i'm a noob if it comes to re-cabling headphones, i know what cable i'm gonna use > Canare Star Quad L-4E6S + L-shaped Neutrik jack.

But that's about it, all i know. I was googling and youtubing for some tutorial, step-by-step guide, but nothing reasonable came up. So can someone with better searching skill post a link to article with how-to re-cable headphones from start to an end?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Administrator

You could take a look at this thread. Not exactly the same but close. The Portapro should actually be simpler. The housing is really simple to take apart. Once you see the insides I doubt you'll have any trouble if you have any DIY ability and the needed tools.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Redneck Moderator

The thread skip posted is a pretty good demonstration. One thing you have to pay attention to is not over heating the drivers, by doing this you can damage them. I would advise having some flux and solder wick on hand as it will come in handy to remove the old cables. If you end up not being able to do it then you can send it to me and I can do the whole process for you. I've got a thread in my signature you can look at, or PM me for more information on going that route.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 07-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
The thread skip posted is a pretty good demonstration. One thing you have to pay attention to is not over heating the drivers, by doing this you can damage them.
I'd pay real close attention to the bold part. The first set of PortaPro I did had a huge solder pad I got impatient and overheated trying to remove. They worked when I got finished but just barely. I got them replaced under the lifetime warranty but it taught me a lesson in patience and having the right tools.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:53 PM

Thank you both for answering the question,
well actually i was looking at that thread before, and also i was already changing cable i my Koss Ur-40, i had spare one from old earbuds, and replaced original Koss cable. The thing is that making whole new cable might be a bit tricky, for me at least

I will try search some more on the topic, the whole operation will wait anyway, first i have to get all the parts, and new solder, mine is a bit bulky to do such a precise job.