android
Old 06-16-2012, 12:43 AM

I have encountered problem that my rockbox is constantly shows me that my player is charging, though of course it's not even plugged in. And i can't figure out how to get away from it (tried resetting, connecting to pc, loading original firmware). And now i even got system checking on every start maybe i need to reflash my firmware or something.

Edit: I've found out that i have the same issue with original firmware, so it seems like this is hardware problem, that sucks

Edit2: When i'm connecting it to computer it behaves like crazy too, it rarely even mounted to the system, sometimes there is message that it's been safely removed (i've almost never seen it before). Also tried safe mode and it's just resetting itself after a few seconds and no indication of usb-device on system. And even if i manage to get system checking away it appears again soon after a few tries of connecting r0 to usb.
So it looks like my device turned into a shit overnight, bye-bye r0 :'(

Last edited by Predelnik; 06-16-2012 at 04:53 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-16-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predelnik View Post
I have encountered problem that my rockbox is constantly shows me that my player is charging, though of course it's not even plugged in. And i can't figure out how to get away from it (tried resetting, connecting to pc, loading original firmware). And now i even got system checking on every start maybe i need to reflash my firmware or something.

Edit: I've found out that i have the same issue with original firmware, so it seems like this is hardware problem, that sucks

Edit2: When i'm connecting it to computer it behaves like crazy too, it rarely even mounted to the system, sometimes there is message that it's been safely removed (i've almost never seen it before). Also tried safe mode and it's just resetting itself after a few seconds and no indication of usb-device on system. And even if i manage to get system checking away it appears again soon after a few tries of connecting r0 to usb.
This is not good...But don't trash the device
Probably it is possible to reapair, or just to do crazy tests on it hihi

Anyway, try to heat up the usb connector (hair dryer or so, don't throw it into the fire tough ). Maybe some solderings are gone and this could help.
This is the only common hardware problem I've seen so far on these players.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:47 AM

Tried some heating, even resoldering some contacts, nothing seems to work (or i'm not good with that kind of stuff )
Probably i'll buy myself another r0 though, i've found some people willing to sell it for half of a price, and i get used to it too much

Edit: already bought myself new one (this time 8gb version) for 60$, now i'm with you again guys

Last edited by Predelnik; 06-19-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Ok as promised I checked your claim. I set the auto-update in the settings and add a file onto the internal storage by connecting the R0 to the computer with the OF. After booting Rockbox and waiting for a few time, the new file still doesn't show up in the database contrary to my other rockboxed players. But after rebooting the player the file appears in the database. No need to update the database manually, just to reboot the player.
Actually I had already noticed for a long time that the R0 needs to reboot to initialize the database while the Sansa players don't need that if I remember well. Thus I guess when you add a new file with the auto-update setting, it really automatically finds the new file and updates the library in background but cannot complete this update until you reboot rockbox.
But that's only my guess, it needs further investigation.
Sorry I've been busy with other things. Thanks for your investigation. I noticed the message "Committing to database" when I rebooted. Made me think that perhaps if the automatic update for the R0 firmware were disabled then perhaps the rockbox update would kick in instead. Would this be possible especially as I never use the OF anymore?

Old 06-24-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appick View Post
Sorry I've been busy with other things. Thanks for your investigation. I noticed the message "Committing to database" when I rebooted. Made me think that perhaps if the automatic update for the R0 firmware were disabled then perhaps the rockbox update would kick in instead. Would this be possible especially as I never use the OF anymore?
nah, OF and Rockbox are two different beasts Completely. They don't share anything BUT the device hehe (fortunately!!!!!)

Old 06-26-2012, 01:16 AM

umm, can somebody help me?? I already rockboxed my R0 with version 5785cfb-120625 (as lebellium said) and an empty file named autostart_RB at the root of the device, but the radio menu has not showed up. Am i doing wrong??

Old 06-26-2012, 02:39 AM
Samsung Moderator

Either there is a bug in this build or more likely you missed the rockbox_loader.sh and si4709.ko files in the FAQ.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:23 AM

Wow, that works like a charm!!
many thanks Lebellium.

Are the rockbox_loader.sh different (bigger) than any previous version?
and the si4709.ko file, I think I have missed it..
because in previous version, rockbox works fine without si4709.ko file so I skipped the first two step in FAQ

Old 06-26-2012, 03:40 AM
Samsung Moderator

The files are a bit different indeed. That's why it's always better to strictly follow the instructions instead of guessing you would not need that or that file.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:33 AM

Can someone add some DSPs to the rockbox ? Like 3D effect

Old 06-29-2012, 02:17 AM
Rockbox Developer

Is the modden firmware still not updated to use Rockbox techniques? With a Rockbox-based modded firmware (see utils/ypr0tools) there is no need for rockbox_loader.sh and si4709.ko; both is included.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:22 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugel View Post
Is the modden firmware still not updated to use Rockbox techniques? With a Rockbox-based modded firmware (see utils/ypr0tools) there is no need for rockbox_loader.sh and si4709.ko; both is included.
We're waiting for your official rockbox firmware in a ready-to-use format
Most people can't compile their own so they use the modded firmware which has not been updated since v2.30.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:42 PM

So I finally have time (at least a little more ) again to spend on rockbox...and....
I finally found that radio RECORDING is possibble!!!
Of course it will be implemented in rockbox, I have already enabled chip support (switching DAC mode <-> ADC mode and menu/keymap support). The part is missing is the alsa bind to be able to record!

I used arecord to record my first sample + rockbox to initialize the ascodec and set the gain volume

Old 07-13-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:

I've had exactly the same issue, maybe it's because of dirty usb pins or what... The charging issue disappeared after a couple of months, but the connecting to PC is still there, really annoying (you can go around with SD-USB reader and then in RB copy files on R0 internal storage, even the FW updates) and it's nearly impossible to connect & work in recovery mode.

Out of this and the already really short battery life it's still a great player. Running in RB there are no more the FW issues and RB is great! (Thx!)
I've got a Philips Ariaz because of the declared 34hr battery life - but the young R0 wins even in this.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkinx View Post
I've had exactly the same issue, maybe it's because of dirty usb pins or what... The charging issue disappeared after a couple of months, but the connecting to PC is still there, really annoying (you can go around with SD-USB reader and then in RB copy files on R0 internal storage, even the FW updates) and it's nearly impossible to connect & work in recovery mode.

Out of this and the already really short battery life it's still a great player. Running in RB there are no more the FW issues and RB is great! (Thx!)
I've got a Philips Ariaz because of the declared 34hr battery life - but the young R0 wins even in this.
Actually i've managed to get it work (everything worked even connecting to pc), probably heating did the thing but anyway it lasted only for a day or so, after that the same symptoms, and i've tried used some more heating but nothing's changing for now)

Btw does anyone else facing a problem that keyboard and display suddenly die (only some white flickering can be seen) but if music was playing it still plays? The only way to get out of this state is a long press of turn off button and then turn on, playback position mostly stays. Dunno why but it happens a lot to me, always after i press some button.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Btw does anyone else facing a problem that keyboard and display suddenly die (only some white flickering can be seen) but if music was playing it still plays? The only way to get out of this state is a long press of turn off button and then turn on, playback position mostly stays. Dunno why but it happens a lot to me, always after i press some button.
Well actually yesterday I had the same symptoms....which version do you have? Latest? I don't know if it's a fault of rockbox or what (I think the first because pressing back button can fix that sometimes...)

Old 07-17-2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenz092 View Post
Well actually yesterday I had the same symptoms....which version do you have? Latest? I don't know if it's a fault of rockbox or what (I think the first because pressing back button can fix that sometimes...)
Yeah i'm using latest, and sometimes just screen dies and everything else seems to work fine. Never tried pressing back button though.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:45 AM

Good news, RFS for rockbox is gone, and we (me and lorenzo92) are working on a dedicated and optimized rom for the rockbox port.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanniX View Post
Good news, RFS for rockbox is gone, and we (me and lorenzo92) are working on a dedicated and optimized rom for the rockbox port.
Congratz!!!
Though i don't even know what exact benefits it will bring

Old 07-21-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Congratz!!!
Though i don't even know what exact benefits it will bring
- More battery life
- No strange crackings when starting songs
- Faster I/O on disk (-> rockbox will run smoothly)
- Faster boot-up
- Smaller ROM file size

Tags
r0, rockbox, samsung yp-r0