android
Old 01-16-2012, 11:56 AM

Default [YP-Q1] Pseudo-random crashes/freezes

Hi guys. I recently used this tutorial to put the Korean/West Asian firmware on my Samsung YP-Q1 (16GB black/JEB/EDC; purchased in the EU). That seemed to work fine. However, on some songs, the player now randomly crashes or freezes. When it freezes I have to press the reset button on the back of the player. That only seems to happen while playing the same songs, I can play other songs just fine without any problems. All of these songs that make the player crash are in MP3 format.

I'm not sure what might cause this, as most users in this subforum seem to be able to run the Korean firmware just fine. So, any ideas on how to fix this? I'd try formatting the player and re-copying all the files to the device, but I thought I'd ask you first because that could take a while.

Well, I hope I'll hear from you.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Samsung Moderator

That did not occur with your previous EU or US firmware?

Old 01-16-2012, 05:01 PM

No, when I was using the old EU (1.34) firmware it was running without problems (actually, it froze once when I played a video, but that has not happened again ever since).

/edit: I just tried to put the old 1.34 firmware on the device. It's now using MTP again (d'oh), but these random crashes persist. I guess I'll try formatting it.

Last edited by J3rry; 01-18-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:18 PM

After waiting what seemed to be a lifetime without finding a fix, I decided to examine the files that are causing crashes. I found that all of the files that caused the player to freeze (at least those that I checked so far) have a sample rate of 44 KHz. Is that what might cause the problem? If yes, how to fix it?

Old 07-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Samsung Moderator

44 KHz (or more exactly 44,1 KHz) is the standard sample rate (used on CD). All your files should be in 44,1 KHz.

I have lent my Q1 to a friend for more than 1 year now and I don't know if I'll get it back this summer or not but if you want you can send me some "problematic" files and I'll analyze them and try them on my other DAPs.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:08 PM

Aw, crap. Sorry, it looks like I have a typo in there. I meant 48 KHz. All of these problematic files I checked so far have a sample rate of 48 KHz. Sorry for making that stupid mistake

By the way, to further examine this, I put another random MP3 file with 48 KHz on my player. (It looks like this). As I expected, it didn't like that file either and crashed immediately upon trying to play it.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:38 AM
Samsung Moderator

Ok so reading my previous post you already have the answer
You shouldn't have 48 KHz mp3 files. These files have been bad ripped from a CD with an outdated Lame version.
A CD is in 44,1 KHz so there is no reason to rip it in 48 KHz.

That said, the Q1 like any other Samsung DAP officially supports 48 KHz MP3 files so it should play it. Thus that may be a bug. At the time I could have sent the problematic the files to the R&D for an analysis and bug fix but the Q1 is now discontinued.

A last tip: id3v2.4 is not recommended. The standard version is 2.3. You can change the tag version with the freeware mp3tag for example. I'm not sure that would fix your issue but one never knows

Old 07-16-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
You shouldn't have 48 KHz mp3 files. These files have been bad ripped from a CD with an outdated Lame version.
A CD is in 44,1 KHz so there is no reason to rip it in 48 KHz.
I see... But some of these files are 48 KHz. What could I do about that?

Quote:
That said, the Q1 like any other Samsung DAP officially supports 48 KHz MP3 files so it should play it. Thus that may be a bug. At the time I could have sent the problematic the files to the R&D for an analysis and bug fix but the Q1 is now discontinued.
As I said, it was able to play them without problems before I flashed the UMS firmware. Weird...

Quote:
A last tip: id3v2.4 is not recommended. The standard version is 2.3. You can change the tag version with the freeware mp3tag for example. I'm not sure that would fix your issue but one never knows
Oh, didn't know that. (I wasn't the one who tagged the file; if I ever tag a file myself I use the tool that comes with Windows). What's the problem with 2.4?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3rry View Post
I see... But some of these files are 48 KHz. What could I do about that?
Nothing but re-rip the CD or re-download it (legal download of course ). Resampling a lossy file from 48 Khz to 44,1 Khz would result in quality decrease.

Quote:
As I said, it was able to play them without problems before I flashed the UMS firmware. Weird...
Hum I almost forgot about that. The KR and EU versions are exactly the same except MTP vs UMS, RDS for FM radio and lyrics. Therefore your issue can't or should not be related to the move from EU to KR. In such a weird situation I can only advise you last resort solutions: format the device and flash it with the recovery tool http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26367
Hope you are 100% sure the same files played well before

Quote:
Oh, didn't know that. (I wasn't the one who tagged the file; if I ever tag a file myself I use the tool that comes with Windows). What's the problem with 2.4?
Some mp3 players don't read correctly the tags in v2.4. But that shouldn't be related to music playback, only tags display.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Hum I almost forgot about that. The KR and EU versions are exactly the same except MTP vs UMS, RDS for FM radio and lyrics. Therefore your issue can't or should not be related to the move from EU to KR. In such a weird situation I can only advise you last resort solutions: format the device and flash it with the recovery tool http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26367
Hope you are 100% sure the same files played well before
I'm pretty sure these are the exact same files that I could play before.
I tried using FWDN, but I couldn't get it to work (I'm using Windows 7 [amd64]). I heard that FWDN is essentially the same as tcctool (which I used to flash the UMS firmware), so I tried re-flashing some other firmwares. It didn't work (well, it did work, but it still can't play the 48KHz files). I tried more or less all firmwares (i.e. 1.33 and 1.34, both UMS and MTP). Also, what's the difference between putting the .ROM file on the player and using tcctool/FWDN to flash the firmware?

Quote:
Some mp3 players don't read correctly the tags in v2.4. But that shouldn't be related to music playback, only tags display.
Ah, I see. I guess that's why Windows didn't display the tags. (The Q1 could handle them, though)

Old 07-18-2012, 03:43 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3rry View Post
Also, what's the difference between putting the .ROM file on the player and using tcctool/FWDN to flash the firmware?
Only putting the .ROM on the player uses the player's embedded updating tool which has restrictions about which firmware can be installed according to the current installed firmware.
Using TccTool you force the firmware installation bypassing the player's restrictions.
Using FWDN you directly install the firmware on the board, thus it can be used even when the player is bricked/not recognized by the computer and it allows a deeper "cleaning" (format/rewrite hidden areas etc). FWDN is a much more powerful -and thus dangerous- tool.
So no, I wouldn't say TccTool and FWDN are essentially the same even though in some basic cases the operation's result can be the same.

FWDN only works with 32 bit Windows XP or older.
Windows 7 did not exist at the time of the P2/T10/Q1 etc

Last edited by lebellium; 07-18-2012 at 03:49 AM.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Only putting the .ROM on the player uses the player's embedded updating tool which has restrictions about which firmware can be installed according to the current installed firmware.
Using TccTool you force the firmware installation bypassing the player's restrictions.
Using FWDN you directly install the firmware on the board, thus it can be used even when the player is bricked/not recognized by the computer and it allows a deeper "cleaning" (format/rewrite hidden areas etc). FWDN is a much more powerful -and thus dangerous- tool.
So no, I wouldn't say TccTool and FWDN are essentially the same even though in some basic cases the operation's result can be the same.
I see. Thanks for clarifying!

Quote:
FWDN only works with 32 bit Windows XP or older.
Windows 7 did not exist at the time of the P2/T10/Q1 etc
Aw, crap. I'll need to find my Windows XP CD, then. Do you by any chance know whether it's possible to use FWDN from a virtual machine?

Tags
freeze, ums, yp-q1