android
Old 07-14-2012, 11:01 AM

Help Good running headphones?

Hey guys, I know how most of you feel about running and headphones, but I really need some good quality, inexpensive and durable headphones. Over the ear, behind the hear or in ears, I don't really care just as long as they aren't uncomfortable and around $20 or so.

Do any of you have suggestions?
Clip Zip [4gb+32gb], iriver B100 [4gb+32gb], Cilp+[8gb+8gb], iriver SPINN [4gb], Phillips GoGear SA6000 [8gb], Creative Zen [2gb+4gb], Sansa C200[2gb+2gb], ilo Player [1gb+2gb], mobiblu DAH 220 Cassette MP3 player, Rio Diamond.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Philips does some pretty decent sports hp's: http://www.google.com/search?q=phili...w=1024&bih=672

Old 07-14-2012, 06:29 PM

Whatever you get make sure it fits snugly. Nothing ruins a run like a pair of headphones flopping about. You can run the cable up along the inside of a compression undershirt (like under armour's offerings) and that will keep the cable out of the way.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:59 PM

I've owned many sport headphones and my personal favorite is also the Philips SHQ4000

Old 07-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalGusBus View Post
Hey guys, I know how most some of you feel about running and headphones, but I really need some good quality, inexpensive and durable headphones. Over the ear, behind the hear or in ears, I don't really care just as long as they aren't uncomfortable and around $20 or so.

Do any of you have suggestions?
Fixed that for ya. I happen to be one of those that regularly wears IEMs while walking, running and biking. I pay attention with my others senses and haven't been killed yet so I figure it's a matter of the wearer, not what's being worn.

I have a couple of pair of kramer modded JVC Marshmallows I use most often for running or other sweaty activities. They aren't spectacular headphones but nice for the price. The memory foam tips make them very secure. When I wear them over ears and cinch up the included slide either under my chin or behind my head they stay in like they are glued in.

If you're looking for extremes of clarity they aren't for you. They have a solid if a bit muddy bass thump and the mids are pretty decent. The kramer mod helps the treble some. It doesn't make a night and day difference to me but it brings the treble forward enough to make them acceptable.

I first started using them for workouts because I figured at the price if they died, no big deal. They've really surprised me though. The only maintenance I do on them is being sure to wipe them down with clean water after a workout to be sure the sweat doesn't eat them and occasional changes of the foam blocks for the mod. Rotating the two sets they've lasted over two years.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

OMG!!! Skip252, you reminded me of a great set of really inexpensive iem's, the jvc Riptidz. Nice sq, sweat proof, and did I mention inexpensive??? I still own 2 sets,...well, one. The wife decided to "acquire" one for herself. She happy, me happy,...

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAFX8B-Hea.../dp/B005FDOVPM

Old 07-16-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
OMG!!! Skip252, you reminded me of a great set of really inexpensive iem's, the jvc Riptidz. Nice sq, sweat proof, and did I mention inexpensive??? I still own 2 sets,...well, one. The wife decided to "acquire" one for herself. She happy, me happy,...
What's the sound quality like on those? Might go ahead and get two pairs then. Happy wife, good long life

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Fixed that for ya.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I have a couple of pair of kramer modded JVC Marshmallows I use most often for running or other sweaty activities.
How do you mod those???

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakfan View Post
I've owned many sport headphones and my personal favorite is also the Philips SHQ4000
I actually saw those at the hellmouth(aka wal-mart) for about $29. Not to bad... I think I might try and get some at amazon.
Clip Zip [4gb+32gb], iriver B100 [4gb+32gb], Cilp+[8gb+8gb], iriver SPINN [4gb], Phillips GoGear SA6000 [8gb], Creative Zen [2gb+4gb], Sansa C200[2gb+2gb], ilo Player [1gb+2gb], mobiblu DAH 220 Cassette MP3 player, Rio Diamond.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Check out JK98's thread on the Riptidz: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68432

Old 07-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Administrator

The kramer mod is removing the existing paper filter and placing a cube of foam in the tube instead. I used the foam covers from some cheapo stock earbuds for the foam. If you google for "marshmallows kramer mod" you'll find it easily along with instructions and pictures.

I've read of night and day differences but I never found that to be the case. The sound is improved to my ears but not night and day. Certainly enough to make a difference and the relatively low effort worthwhile.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:32 PM

Awesome! I think I might go with the JVCs just cause they are so cheap
Thanks guys, your all the bomb!