android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 07-09-2012, 12:51 PM

Default Looking for good all around over ear headphones for PS3 gaming and music

Alright so I'm new to both this site, and the audio world, so please be aware that my knowledge and familiarity with headphones and audio equipment is very limited.

I have not until recently gotten into listening to music. I'm a 21 year old college student, who for most of my life has just listened to top 40 music and whatever is on the radio. When I started college however I became much more enthusiastic about music and broadening my horizons to different genres of music. The only types of headphones I have ever owned are ear buds, and they just aren't cutting it for me anymore. I have a pair of JVC HA-FXC51, which I would be pretty happy with, aside from the fact that I have gone through 3 pairs of these in 6 months. I'm tired of dealing with sending these back and forth to the manufacturer. I don't know why these keep failing on me, but I think it may have something to do with the pressure that is created in the buds by pulling them in and out of my abnormally shaped ear canal (weird I know, but sound goes in and out of my current pair when I put it in and then pull it out). Anyway, I am getting much more involved in my music listening, and I would really like to get a pair of solid over the ear headphones, with decent portability, so I can really appreciate the sound of my music. I typically listen to music on my laptop, or on my phone, which I use to stream pandora and have started putting some MP3's from my growing collection on there (I don't actually own a dedicated MP3 player). I'm looking for a pair of headphones <$200, with a good balance of bass and mid to high ranges. Again I'm no audiophile, but I would like to experience a better quality in my listening than I am now. Decent portability would be nice, but I plan to primarily use these for at home listening, not walking around campus. If need be I can always buy another pair of ear buds for when I'm on the go.

As I mentioned in my title, I am also looking for something I can use to listen to my gaming on my PS3. I'm a pretty avid casual gamer, but the only audio output I have is straight through my TV, and I feel like I am missing out on a lot of the sounds games have to offer. I was originally only looking for headphones for my music, but then I started thinking, why not try and get a pair of headphones that can do it all. So is there a good pair of headphones I can use to both play music from my devices, and connect to my PS3 to listen to games?

This may be a lot to ask for in a single pair of headphones, but I would really like to get as much functionality out of my purchase as possible. Again I am looking to spend in the $100-$150 range, but I would be willing to spend around $200 if I feel it would be justified. I am open to any suggestions or recommendations, so please feel free to educate me a little, and tell me your thoughts on this. I would really appreciate any thoughts or advice you could give me.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-09-2012, 12:52 PM

Just wanted to add that I also recently bought a PS Vita, so it would be really great to have something for that as well. Looking forward to your thoughts!

Old 07-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sony is releasing a ps vita compatible set of Bluetooth hp's, so I'd recommend waiting on those. I didn't check Sony's site to see if they're available yet, so give it a shot. I'm contemplating a set myself,...to pair with my mp3 player.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Sony is releasing a ps vita compatible set of Bluetooth hp's, so I'd recommend waiting on those. I didn't check Sony's site to see if they're available yet, so give it a shot. I'm contemplating a set myself,...to pair with my mp3 player.
I'm not entirely sure what that is, or why it would be a good option for all of the things I'm looking for... forgive me for my lack of understanding.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

They pair with the PS3, a cellphone, an mp3 player, any bluetooth capable device. And hopefully the sq & portability is good.

Otherwise you could always get a nice set of wired HP's, such as the Audio Technica ATH-M50 or Sennheiser HD25-1 II. Or, a set of Incase Sonic's,...which I truly luv!!! The sq is quite good, really enjoyable.

Plus, all three hp's I mentioned above all have really good build quality & durability.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:28 PM

Are these the ones you are referring to: http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...specifications

Also, is there an inexpensive way to just connect wired headphones directly to my ps3 to inexpensively improve my audio gaming experience?

Old 07-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No, those aren't the ones. Those are geared more towards home theater usage. These are the ones I'm suggesting/wanting: http://gizmodo.com/5914923/sony-ps3s...ngs-extra-bass

Old 07-09-2012, 11:28 PM

Besides bluetooth there isn't a way to connect headphones to the PS3 so you will need to go PS3 -> TV audio out -> some kind of amp with RCA inputs -> headphones.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post
Besides bluetooth there isn't a way to connect headphones to the PS3 so you will need to go PS3 -> TV audio out -> some kind of amp with RCA inputs -> headphones.
I actually have a headphone stereo jack in my TV, so I guess I could just keep it simple and use that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
They pair with the PS3, a cellphone, an mp3 player, any bluetooth capable device. And hopefully the sq & portability is good.

Otherwise you could always get a nice set of wired HP's, such as the Audio Technica ATH-M50 or Sennheiser HD25-1 II. Or, a set of Incase Sonic's,...which I truly luv!!! The sq is quite good, really enjoyable.

Plus, all three hp's I mentioned above all have really good build quality & durability.
I think I'm gonna go with getting some wired hp's that I will use primarily for music, and if I decide I could always just buy and extension to connect the phones to the tv. It looks like a lot of people across different sites and forums really recommend those M50's, so I think I might head in that direction.

Last edited by skip252; 07-10-2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: posts merged, please edit consecutive posts instead of multiposting

Old 07-12-2012, 03:14 PM

I ended up going with a pretty popular rec on Head-Fi, the Ultrasone HFI 580s. They should be coming in early next week (forgot to select my free day day shipping on Amazon after signing up for Prime.) Im really excited about getting to hear them.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendonintendo View Post
I actually have a headphone stereo jack in my TV, so I guess I could just keep it simple and use that?
Oh that's cool, mine doesn't have that.

Tags
advice, gaming, headphones, music, noob