android
Old 06-27-2012, 10:17 AM

Default Jellybean, Android 4.1 ???

The Google 1/0 is less than an hour away and Google has a new lawn ornament.

Rumors are that Jellybean wont be as a huge upgrade as Ice-cream Sandwich but will pack a lot of extra goodies. We could see the result of Google's purchase of Documents to Go with a native document viewing/editing app or the better Chrome browser as the new default browser. There's also the rumor that the next software will be featured on a Nexus tablet and not a phone. Briefly, the Nexus tablet is believed be be ruining on Targa 3 and coasts only $200. It will be fun to watch how accurate the rumors and "leaks" are.

Update: Here's the link to the live stream if you currently have nothing better to do. 20 minutes to go.

Last edited by nathan; 06-27-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-27-2012, 12:13 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

wow the new GUI acceleration stuff looks awesome. can't wait to get that on my nexus.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:45 PM

It looks great, can't wait to update to JB.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:43 PM

I thought Google now and the new notification bar/function was pretty cool. The voice search function is pretty much what Siri was suppose to be minus the personality. Just waiting for official word from Samsung when the GS3 will be upgraded to Jellybean. Hopefully Google releasing the APK a month before hand to OEMs and me getting the international GS3 will mean having the update sometime in August. No more contracts!

Old 06-27-2012, 09:39 PM

GSM 4.1 images are out for the GN, but no CDMA yet

Old 06-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Google is removing Flash support in Android 4.1.

http://www.neowin.net/news/android-4...t-flash-at-all

Old 06-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
Google is removing Flash support in Android 4.1.

http://www.neowin.net/news/android-4...t-flash-at-all
It's not Google that's removing it, it's Adobe.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
It's not Google that's removing it, it's Adobe.
Aaah yes, my bad. I find it interesting that Adobe is removing it completely from the Play store. They probably don't want users to download it on 4.1, run into problems and then go complain.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Aaah yes, my bad. I find it interesting that Adobe is removing it completely from the Play store. They probably don't want users to download it on 4.1, run into problems and then go complain.
4.1 uses Chrome as the browser, and Chrome can't use flash so there would be no point in supporting it anyway. They'd have to bundle it with an entire browser just to use it.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
4.1 uses Chrome as the browser, and Chrome can't use flash so there would be no point in supporting it anyway. They'd have to bundle it with an entire browser just to use it.
But other browsers such as Dolphin are not dropping support or at least no announcements of dropping support yet. The only curious part is why Adobe is pulling it from Google Play completely.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
But other browsers such as Dolphin are not dropping support or at least no announcements of dropping support yet. The only curious part is why Adobe is pulling it from Google Play completely.
I believe Adobe is pulling out of mobile all together. If a company wants their browser to support flash they'll have to do their own support. Hopefully though this will be the final push to get sites who haven't already made the move html5 from flash to do so. No more laptop fan going to overdrive when viewing hd content from sites

Old 06-29-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Dolphin uses the underlying Android browser for actual rendering, so on 4.1 that will probably mean Chrome and no Flash anyway unless there is some compatibility mode or something that lets them access the older browser.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:27 PM

Here's a comparison between Jellybean between Siri and Google voice search. We may have here voice recognition which actually isn't a gimmick

Old 07-03-2012, 09:57 PM

I put JB on my Galaxy Nexus today. So far, I'm really impressed. Its stable, really fast, and the UI improvements are surprisingly well thought out. I particularly like the new camera app.

I also played around with the Google Now feature. It works really well, although there are some limitations. For instance, you can tell it to play a given album, or to text someone, but I couldn't get it to start most third party apps or to send a googletalk message. There is also some delay between when you address the app and when it starts listening which makes it awkward to use without hands (although i guess the fact that i'm using a 3rd party, prerelease ROM could be part of that problem). For things like traffic, directions, weather, or alarms/reminders it does work remarkably well.

FWIW, if you've got a GN and don't mind unlocking it, I would recommend upgrading.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
I put JB on my Galaxy Nexus today. So far, I'm really impressed. Its stable, really fast, and the UI improvements are surprisingly well thought out. I particularly like the new camera app.

I also played around with the Google Now feature. It works really well, although there are some limitations. For instance, you can tell it to play a given album, or to text someone, but I couldn't get it to start most third party apps or to send a googletalk message. There is also some delay between when you address the app and when it starts listening which makes it awkward to use without hands (although i guess the fact that i'm using a 3rd party, prerelease ROM could be part of that problem). For things like traffic, directions, weather, or alarms/reminders it does work remarkably well.

FWIW, if you've got a GN and don't mind unlocking it, I would recommend upgrading.
Did you ask it to "do a barrow roll" ?

Tags
android, android 4.1, google, jellybean, nexus