android
Old 07-03-2012, 11:45 AM

LOL! Now I'm wondering if this is such a good idea!

I have a place to put the Clip Zip immediately below the radio, so that's OK. I'm concerned that maybe the radio won't allow for the clip Zip to play the microSD card, which is the point of it all.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

I have a place to put the Clip Zip immediately below the radio, so that's OK. I'm concerned that maybe the radio won't allow for the clip Zip to play the microSD card, which is the point of it all.
What I do, and what I recommend is to get an headphone to headphone 3.5 mm jack cable, and any old USB car charger. Then put rockbox on your zip and enable "car adapter mode".

This will cause your player to automatically boot up and begin playback when the car is turned on, and to stop playback whenever the car is turned off. Then either setup some playlists, set it to shuffle, or pick a folder you like and play through it while you drive so that you don't need to take your eyes off the road.

Maybe once a week I find myself going through and queuing up another couple hours of music, usually when I first get in the car in the morning. Then I just let it go for a few days.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:56 PM

If you have a place to put it and don't control the player much during listening I can image it would work great. I tend to browser around a lot and it's starting to annoy me that I have to first find the little thing and then hold in it my hand to control it.

If you use the AUX input of your car radio, the difference between internal storage and microSD storage on the Zip does not matter, since the radio only gets sound, not data.

Steve, some pioneer radios have a microSD-card slot under the detachable front, maybe that's something that interests you.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:01 PM

Personally I prefer the tape adapters that you can buy at wal mart or amazon for about $10. They have the advantage of working with any device not just a particular player. Unfortunately newer vehicles often do not include cassete decks anymore.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_val View Post
Steve, some pioneer radios have a microSD-card slot under the detachable front, maybe that's something that interests you.
Thanks Brett, sounds like a good idea. We were looking at a little pick up truck as a second car, but that has fallen through (in worse shape than anticipated), and it would have needed a new radio.

Steve

Old 07-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

That is only an issue when connecting to a USB, because the car stereo controls what plays. You said you did not have that, so you can ignore those comments.

You appear to have a headphone jack as AUX in. In that case, the player controls the music and it can find both memories.

Steve

Old 07-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbilkit View Post
Personally I prefer the tape adapters that you can buy at wal mart or amazon for about $10.
He has an AUX jack, so that would be a waste of money.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
He has an AUX jack, so that would be a waste of money.
Plus he said that it was "a Pioneer radio/CD/Aux/satellite-ready unit". No mention of cassette, so I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't work anyway.

Steve

Old 07-03-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
That is only an issue when connecting to a USB, because the car stereo controls what plays. You said you did not have that, so you can ignore those comments.

You appear to have a headphone jack as AUX in. In that case, the player controls the music and it can find both memories.

Steve
Thanks Steve. That's what I was hoping.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've been playing my DAPs in my car for many years, using a patch cord from the player's headphone jack to my car's head unit's AUX IN jack. Works just great, and I finally have a good use for the car's ashtray: holds the player (and the patch cord, when not in use).

Old 07-03-2012, 05:55 PM

Default More on USB

If a car radio has a USB port it's best to use a memory stick, they are very inexpensive these days.
The car radio I had recognized ID tags making it easy to navigate plus it gave me repeat and shuffle functions.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave61430 View Post
If a car radio has a USB port it's best to use a memory stick, they are very inexpensive these days.
The car radio I had recognized ID tags making it easy to navigate plus it gave me repeat and shuffle functions.
That's nice Dave, but doesn't work for the Original Poster. And I would prefer to use a microSD card, primarily cause I have some extras, instead of having to buy a larger stick. I think my largest stick is 1GB.

Steve

Old 07-03-2012, 06:39 PM

Are you guys talking about "memory stick" in the Sony proprietary sense, or just a usb flash drive?

Old 07-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp-j3 View Post
Are you guys talking about "memory stick" in the Sony proprietary sense, or just a usb flash drive?
usb flash drive. Heck Sony doesn't even seem to use the MS cards anymore.

Steve

Old 07-06-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
usb flash drive. Heck Sony doesn't even seem to use the MS cards anymore.

Steve
I have one of these for my car:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

Very low profile, nothing sticks out of the dash. And cheap too.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:11 AM

If you have one in your area i totally suggest checking out the electronic area of big lots. You can get very close to online prices on this stuff without waiting for shipping. On a side note i bought an fm transmitter yesterday that actually works. It feels like cheep plastic and the up and down buttons for frequence are inversed but it works well. if you have a tape deck or aux in exhaust those possibilities first though http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

Old 07-06-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
I have one of these for my car:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

Very low profile, nothing sticks out of the dash. And cheap too.
*Awesome*. It looks like they only have 32gb max, but cruising around, I found some lo-profile usb microsd holders about the same size that I hope will get me another 5000 songs in the car

Old 07-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp-j3 View Post
*Awesome*. It looks like they only have 32gb max, but cruising around, I found some lo-profile usb microsd holders about the same size that I hope will get me another 5000 songs in the car
Just make sure your head unit doesn't have a USB file limit, or all the extra capacity in the world won't do you any good. I suppose in that case you could parse your collection out over multiple microSD cards -- and swap them as needed -- but that doesn't sound like much fun to me...

Old 07-06-2012, 05:38 PM

They already have full size SD card support, so this is just a bonus. It's supposedly 5k songs per input. And the test is only $10 for the holder since I already have the micro cards. Counting 900 or so albums may be a p.i.t.a. though.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:20 PM

Maybe I should start a new thread for this, but since I have had such good luck with this thread, I'll ask here.

Can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive speaker to listen to the Clip Zip with while I'm surfing the internet? I don't want earphones, just a small speaker(s).

I have found the iLuv at Amazon. Has anyone heard of it?
http://www.amazon.com/iLuv-iSP110-Po...id=RVSBV717YT9

Thanks again for your input!