android
Old 06-18-2012, 01:05 AM

Default Do I need firmware update?

Is new firmware something everyone should keep up to date on or should I wait until there is a reason such as functionality issues? What does new firmware do?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-18-2012, 02:31 AM
Administrator

You can look up your player on the firmware update pages here. The release notes and links to the firmware updates are there. Updating manually is highly recommended. The sandisk firmware updater is buggy and eats up processing cycles watching for an update that's unlikely to happen.

The Clip and Clip+ are past any further firmware updates. It's possible there will be another for the Clip Zip but it's so late in it's release cycle I doubt it will see anymore updates either. I'd update to the latest and then wouldn't worry about it any more. If another is released it will be announced here.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Typically, new firmware will fix bugs and sometimes even add some extra functionality. I find it a good practice to have the most recent, but it generally isn't something to be concerned about--just get to it when you can. The exception being if there is something in the firmware you're using that is buggy, etc.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:28 AM

Most of us here on abi will jump on new firmware to test it out based on release notes, but itís not always needed. Very rare that new features are introduced late in a product cycle, itís more bug corrections/fixes. If everything is running fine and you have no trouble you really donít need to update, itís your call and as skip states Iíd learn the manual method.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-18-2012, 05:24 PM

Default firmware updater

I recently tried the new Sandisk updater software (was really bored that day) and it did a good job of updating my clip+, I could swear I hear a bit of an improvement in the sound.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monel58 View Post
I recently tried the new Sandisk updater software (was really bored that day) and it did a good job of updating my clip+, I could swear I hear a bit of an improvement in the sound.
Total and absolute placebo. It installs the same firmware. There's no way that can improve the sound. That's like that silliness that CD rips done at different speeds that produce the same files sound different.

If you want to spread something like that please post RMAA results or similar objective test results. This isn't the place to be starting that type rumor from your subjective impression.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
. . .it did a good job of updating my clip+, I could swear I hear a bit of an improvement in the sound.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

zipit.gif

Old 06-19-2012, 11:21 PM

Old 07-02-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Sandisk updater didn't install for me. From where did you download it?

Old 07-02-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj christian View Post
Sandisk updater didn't install for me. From where did you download it?
It's actually just as easy and fast (if not more so) to manually update the firmware rather than use the Updater. Not only is it a resource hog, slowing down your sytsems's start-up time, but every time you plug in your player, it phones home to look for any updates, essentially amounting to nothing but "nag-ware".

Add to this the fact that there won't be any more firmware updates for this model, and there is just no reason to install it at all.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
It's actually just as easy and fast (if not more so) to manually update the firmware rather than use the Updater. Not only is it a resource hog, slowing down your sytsems's start-up time, but every time you plug in your player, it phones home to look for any updates, essentially amounting to nothing but "nag-ware".

Add to this the fact that there won't be any more firmware updates for this model, and there is just no reason to install it at all.
Well it's just buggers me why this problem get installation fails everytime i try to install it.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Default Be thankful it won't install

Quote:
Well it's just buggers me why this problem get installation fails everytime i try to install it.
The advice not to install the updater isn't casual. It's really, and it's hard to say this too strongly, REALLY bad software. It's fully capable of rendering your system useless. It's not just what it does, it's the changes that may be required to run a one trick pony that still doesn't do what it should reliably.

The last few times someone I know personally ignored my advice and installed it anyway when an update was issued the updater failed. It either didn't find the new update and/or failed to install it. The one time it did try to perform an update it locked the PC so hard it required a power off reboot and messed up the DAP so badly it had to be formatted and the firmware manually reinstalled. That was after writing dozens of registry changes, needing to disable or alter the settings of the firewall, antivirus and antispyware.

It then sat there in the system tray for months, eating up cpu cycles, slowing boot time and causing general instability. Then when it was showtime, the damn thing didn't work.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Could be your A/V software or firewall blocking access to the SanDisk Updater's server. That's happened before.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Could be your A/V software or firewall blocking access to the SanDisk Updater's server. That's happened before.
MS firewall is off and no router/firewall in between.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:51 PM

Your A/V software program has no firewall?

Old 07-02-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Your A/V software program has no firewall?
I don't even have a A/V program installed. And I'm running win 7 64.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I don't even have a A/V program installed. And I'm running win 7 64.

Guess you like to live dangerously!

Old 07-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I hate 1-shot pony updaters--they just sit on one's system consuming resources and delaying start-ups. Am much happier just manually updating with SanDisk--very easy to do.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Am much happier just manually updating with SanDisk Rockbox--very easy to do.
Fixed!