android
Old 06-03-2010, 12:09 AM

Default Has anyone tried the Samsung 120GB HS12YHA?

First of all. BIG THANKS to everyone who has contributed to this board. I recently decided to replace my 100GB Zen Xtra with a Zen Vision M, and this forum as been a tremendous learning resource for me.

After doing some research and patiently waiting, I was lucky to find a Vision M in great shape on Craigslist for $40! It came installed with the 30GB Hitachi HTC426030G5CE00 Travelstar drive.

Anyway, I want, and need, to do an HDD upgrade to get more space.

The Samsung HS082HB looks like a great choice: 80GB, 5mm, 4200rpm, 8MB cache, confirmed to work by members of this board, etc.

However, believe it or not, I really could use more space than that.(I collect lots of audiobooks and lectures.)

Samsung has a larger drive (120GB) called the HS12YHA that appears to be compatible.

I've seen no reference at all to this drive in Vision M forums here, and I'm not sure why. It is 1.8", 5mm thick, PATA, 8MB buffer, ZIF connector, and exactly the same size as the Hitachi Travelstar currently in the player.

The specs are here.

The only downside seems to be that it rotates at 3600rpm rather than 4200rpm. However, the average seek and latency numbers look pretty close to the Hitachi Drive.

Two questions:

1) Does anyone have experience with this drive? Is there any reason to believe that it won't work in a ZVM that came with the Travelstar?

2) Does anyone have experience with the practical difference between a 3600rpm and 4200rpm drive in their ZVM? Is there any appreciable difference in performance (e.g., interface or startup lags, etc.)?

If the smart folks here all think it looks good, I don't mind being the guinea pig and testing it. I can post the results of the upgrade.

Thanks for any and all responses.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-11-2011, 01:54 PM

Hi all!

And up

Anyone tried it?

Creative zen vision:m 30gb/60gb with Samsung 120GB HS12YHA?

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2011, 01:11 AM

Default Works!!!

Yes, I've tried the Samsung HS12YHA in the 30Gb Vision M & it works. Plenty of room in case for it. Firmware update (same version) did say that it failed after about 30 minutes into the process but really didn't fail. Used the firmware executible, not the stupid recovery program.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillaj View Post
Yes, I've tried the Samsung HS12YHA in the 30Gb Vision M & it works. Plenty of room in case for it. Firmware update (same version) did say that it failed after about 30 minutes into the process but really didn't fail. Used the firmware executible, not the stupid recovery program.
quick question: did the samsung HD u used have the apple logo on it?

Old 03-10-2011, 05:56 PM

I also ordered a 120GB Samsung HS12YHA and it has an Apple logo on it and cannot figure out how to connect

Please help!

Old 03-22-2011, 07:10 AM

Hi, I changed yesterday HDD of my Creative Zen Vision M 30Gb with a Samsung HS12YHA 120Gb (Apple logo), it works without problems.

http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I downloaded the latest firmware of Creative USA, and I executed it.

At the end of process, showed this message: Firmware update failed, but actually was successfully updated.

Only work with Windows XP, not with Windows 7.

Lower blue plastic of HDD does not fit, so I put two hot met glue

I have yet to fill the hard drive of music, and see what I can fill it out completely

Greetings!

Last edited by Peter_23; 03-22-2011 at 07:17 AM.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Congrats man and thanks for the tip for folks here...

How about some pics of your handiwork and lovely new huge player?
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 03-24-2011, 01:44 AM

Thanks for reporting your results...good news for many.

I wasn't in the mood to take the risk myself, so ended up going with 80GB...but next on my agenda is an 128GB SSD upgrade...when I get the cash and guts!

Old 06-27-2012, 02:29 AM

Hi!
I'm new in this forum and I need help if anyone could.
I'm trying to change my HDD on acer aspire one with SAMSUNG HS12YHA and If someone can tell me were can I find a tutorial to do this.
My problem is that how to decide which face of the HDD should be attached with the adhesive?The one with PCB or the other one?Because, i'm afraid of electric shock that could damage the HDD if I put the adhesive on the PCB face. So if someone has any response, please tell me right now what should I do?(I'm waiting for the response for finishing the mod today. Thanks a lot.