android
Old 06-12-2012, 03:44 PM

Default 2.1 home audio

Hey guys,

I've been thinking for too long and decided to post to have some advices specifics to my "need".

I'm aiming at having an AV Amp, with 2 bookshelf speakers & 1 subwoofer (maybe in a second time).
Media : computer (music&movies), tv, video-game.

Since I'm listening more music than watching movies, I bring more attention to audio quality, that's why I was thinking about a 2.1

For the speakers, my idea was 2x"B&W 685"
As for the amplifier, a denon 1612, but vendor at localstore advice me to get a superior one, b&w needed more power.
He also told me to buy floorstanding speakers rather than 2.1

So, should I stick with my original choice ? B&W 685 and buy a superior AV Amp ?
Or buy 2 floorstanding and stay with denon 1612 ?

I'm just thinking right now, nothing bought yet

Just a simple question about the amp : if I only connect, say, 2 speakers out of 5 amp's output, will the watt unused from the 3 output be reported to the 2 in use ? (put it simply : if I have 100w/8ohm on 5 ouput, will have I 250w/8ohm on 2 output if 3 are not used ?)

I'm also starting to think buying a superior amp will be underused if only staying with 2/2.1 speakers.... if anyone has a solution that fit better or some ideas, let me know !

room size : 16x10 feet

Last edited by arkhaal; 06-12-2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: room size

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Redneck Moderator

No the power from the other channels wont add up and make the two primary channels more powerful.

I personally have a Marantz NR1402 and some Wharfedale Evo2-10's. and a Tru-Audio subwoofer.

If you don't need the video/surround capabilities you could go with an Integrated Amp, I used to run one of those until it stopped working. But now that I've got my audio going through my HDMI then I don't think I could go back.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 06-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
No the power from the other channels wont add up and make the two primary channels more powerful.

I personally have a Marantz NR1402 and some Wharfedale Evo2-10's. and a Tru-Audio subwoofer.

If you don't need the video/surround capabilities you could go with an Integrated Amp, I used to run one of those until it stopped working. But now that I've got my audio going through my HDMI then I don't think I could go back.
could you use the four channels if the speakers were bi-ampable? I have never done this, am just wondering.

integrated amp is the suggestion I was going to make. No reason to pay for all that extra if you arent using it. I am slowly piecing together a home listening station that will be for audio only. ideally it will be a turntable, cd changer, and a tablet running into an integrated amp running out to a set of floorstanding speakers. right now it is an old 5.1 yamaha, a cd changer, and some bookshelf speakers. work in progress.

as for your equipment choices, most audio listeners will say you should go with floor standing speakers in stereo. I think you should go listen and decide yourself. there are a lot of factors that go into choosing the right gear for you. if you hear a set of bookshelf with a sub and love the sound...buy it. You will save space and probably money. If you are going to put the bookshelf speakers on speaker stands then I see no reason to avoid floorstanding speakers other than budget.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Redneck Moderator

If your amp was set up to run bi-amp mode(mine is) then yes you could run the 100 watts to one driver, and 100 watts to the other drive for each left and right speaker. Unless you don't have a powerful enough amp then I think this method is to much headache.

Floor standing speakers usually have 3 drivers in them, which can make it much more difficult to power properly. Though they usually sound much better. lol. As a personal general rule with speakers: Size Matters. The bigger the speaker, the lower it is capable of. Of course its not that simple, there are many factors that come into play. But when your looking at bookshelf speakers a 4.5 inch will have much better mids and lows than a 2 inch.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service