android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3 > Cowon J3 Video

Old 01-17-2012, 05:38 PM

Agreed, crop is the best thing to do. If the stretching of the video turns out to be bad though, there is no need to encode another non-cropped video. There is an option on the video controls that toggles between fit horizontal, fit vertical (fills the screen with your cropped file) and original aspect. This last option will allow you to see the video in it's original size with black bars top and bottom.

As a bonus, cropping will help you reduce file size a bit

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-01-2012, 07:14 AM

Hello, I have a few questions about this tutorial.
I'm a newbie to video conversion, and also, I'm not a native english speaker, so if you could keep the explanation clear and simple, it'd be cool.
I recently got a J3, and I use it quite often to watch movies. And after having watched the few supported video that I had, I have to convert the others.

In fact, I've already tried to use DVD Fab in the past (for the ripping), but it's quite complicated for me.
So yesterday, I saw your post and, though I didn't understand anything, I got File Factory, and so far, it seems to work just fine for converting videos (downsizing avi, converting MP4 and FLV to avi), and it's really easy to use. (A strange thing though, I downsized an AVI yesterday, but while the resolution is lower and audio is now MP3VBR, the filesize is still as big as it was. Not that that the size issue really matters to me, I just get the impression not to understand all this video stuff)

So my question about your tutorial is: why not use DVD Fab to convert the video? It can do (among other) the same thing File Factory does, right? (Well, maybe it's just a stereotype I have, that commercial softwares must work better than the free ones)
And What's this stuff with DGMPGDec and AviSynth Scripts?

And one last thing: I used your screenshot http://i.imgur.com/CTyjN.png for the output settings in filefactory, could we go over each parameter? Just to know which are the best for the Cowon J3.

I have the AviSynth decoder on (you've got it off). Don't know what it does..

Video bitrate: I kinda vaguely understand what it is, but i set it to default because I don't know what to put.

Fps: I let it on default, I think it's the best

Encode 2 pass: a saw a screenshot comparison between 1-pass and 2-pass, so I leave it on 2-pass, though it's slower to process.

Audio encode: I set VBRMP3, I suppose it's the best compromise between quality, size and easy-to-readness for the cowon.

Audio Sample Rate and BitRate: I leave them on default

Audio Channels: I put 2. What's the use of more on a stereo output? (or am I wrong?)

Thanks in advance for any answer.
Arty.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty-Sho'
So my question about your tutorial is: why not use DVD Fab to convert the video? It can do (among other) the same thing File Factory does, right? (Well, maybe it's just a stereotype I have, that commercial softwares must work better than the free ones)
It is true that DVDFab can do that, but these functions of DVDFab are not free, while HD Decrypter (the function used in this tutorial) is free (never expires).

And yes, I believe that's a stereotype you have. While commercial software often is more user-friendly, you can obtain the same if not better results 99 % of the time with free software. I am talking from experience of course - and by looking at AlternativeTo.net .

Quote:
And What's this stuff with DGMPGDec and AviSynth Scripts?
DGMPGDec is used to decode the DVD rip and downmix the 5.1 surround sound down to stereo. AviSynth is used to combine the stereo sound and the video and for fixing synchronization issues if needed. AviSynth is very feature-rich in fact, so it opens up for a whole lot of other possibilities too. See the AviSynth wiki for more information.

Quote:
And one last thing: I used your screenshot http://i.imgur.com/CTyjN.png for the output settings in filefactory, could we go over each parameter? Just to know which are the best for the Cowon J3.
[...]
I don't know what the AviSynth decoder option does but as the video is already decoded before FormatFactory touches it, I have left it off to avoid issues. In fact I don't even think there is any need for FormatFactory to decode the movie as AviSynth does this through DGMPGDec no matter what anyway.

About Encode 2 Pass: I should definitely have set this to 'yes', you are right about that. Will update the tutorial with a new screenshot later today.

EDIT:
Quote:
(A strange thing though, I downsized an AVI yesterday, but while the resolution is lower and audio is now MP3VBR, the filesize is still as big as it was. Not that that the size issue really matters to me, I just get the impression not to understand all this video stuff)
This might have something to do with the fact that you had set the bitrate to 'default' which means a very high bitrate. I have set the bitrate to 1200 because I believe that's more than enough for a 480x272 video. DVDs typically have a bitrate between 6000 and 7000 kbps I believe (not sure).

EDIT 2:
Updated first page with new screenshot. Thanks for the tip, Arty.

Last edited by Urne; 02-01-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urne View Post
ah, I thought this was toggled on by default. I'll update the tutorial so a similar thing shouldn't happen again.

This is normal behavior AFAIK for videos that doesn't match the 16:9 aspect ratio. Many theatrical movies are wider than the 16:9 aspect ratio which the J3 uses and thus black bars is shown. You would have to cut off some of the video if you want to circumvent this. It is possible to do this through AviSynth by using the Crop function of it. I believe you need to add the new line after the last line in the avs script but I haven't tried this yet.

What operating system are you using? You could try downloading Windows Media Player Classic to see if that works. Also, are you able to play the DVD from its *.vob files on your harddisk?
Hello again urne. sorry for not replying but i have been busy lately. anyway im using windows 7 home edition 64 bit and i tried using windows media player classic but it wont play the avs script neither. i can play the *.vob file from my hdd

Old 02-05-2012, 02:32 PM

One of the reasons to that the *.avs file won't play could be because it contains typos or similar. Make sure that everything is entered correct and try again.

How do you "play" the *.avs file in Windows Media Player? Have you tried simply drag n' dropping the file?

Perhaps try download VirtualDub and see if it will open the *.avs file. Of course, make sure that you run it with administrator rights if you don't usually do that already. VirtualDub should also be useful when figuring out how much out of sync the audio is though I can't give you more details on that.

If none of the above works I suggest you try play your *.avs file on another computer (if possible). If it works I suggest you try re-install AviSynth again on your main computer.

I hope any of that works because I'm out of more ideas for now.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urne View Post
One of the reasons to that the *.avs file won't play could be because it contains typos or similar. Make sure that everything is entered correct and try again.

How do you "play" the *.avs file in Windows Media Player? Have you tried simply drag n' dropping the file?

Perhaps try download VirtualDub and see if it will open the *.avs file. Of course, make sure that you run it with administrator rights if you don't usually do that already. VirtualDub should also be useful when figuring out how much out of sync the audio is though I can't give you more details on that.

If none of the above works I suggest you try play your *.avs file on another computer (if possible). If it works I suggest you try re-install AviSynth again on your main computer.

I hope any of that works because I'm out of more ideas for now.
i forgot to mention that it plays audio but not video in wmp and mpc for the*avs file. ill try your suggestions though when i get some time.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:10 AM

I used XviD4PSP and everything went OK, great image, good sound..., except that I cant extract some chapers only, it extract the whole movie into one file. can any of this two softwares rip one especific chapter?

I want to put on some live tracks from concert dvds into the J3, and in said dvds the tracks comes one in each chapter. so I want to have separate video files for each track. am I making sense?

thanks!

Old 03-08-2012, 09:24 AM

You could use DVD Decrypter to save the single chapter VOBs to your HDD, and then transcode those with whatever app you like.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:50 AM

I might have to do that, or look and try other softwares, from dvd to avi is all I need right? or does the J3 requires any other special specs?

Old 04-07-2012, 02:56 PM

Urne
I noticed you wrote this in your first post:
Quote:
DVDFab tries to read the disc it may prompt you with a new window asking you to specify where your DVD is from by region code. If you are unsure, try them out one-by-one until you've got it right. Press OK, and wait for DVDFab to open the DVD source.
I don’t use DVDFab yet but will try it out one day. I thought to mention that in the USA I use “A” for blu ray disks and region code 1 for DVDs. If one is unsure they can easily look up their country for DVDs look here and for blu ray disks look here. Feel free to add this to your tutorial if you wish ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-07-2012, 05:17 PM

Thank you WalkGood! I have added the information to the tutorial, I was not even aware of this myself.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:46 AM

Hi,
Sorry to be more than a little thick, but cannot access the DGMP DEC site.
When I click on the tab it comes up with Doom 9 net, Unauthorized download.
Must be doing something wrong, how do I get around this please?
Many Thanks,
Glen.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just glen View Post
Hi,
Many Thanks,
Glen.
Go to the download tab at the left hand side of the page then search for DGMPGDEC, its under decoders as DGMPGDec 1.5.3

Old 04-11-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just glen View Post
Hi,
Many Thanks,
Glen.
User !"£$%^&*( is right. Thank you for notifying me that the link doesn't work anymore, I have updated the tutorial to reflect the changes on doom9's website.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:23 PM

Your screenshot seems to have disappeared for the avisynth section of the tutorial, so I don't know what to write for the script.

Tags
cowon j3, dvd video converter, video conversion