android
Old 05-22-2011, 06:39 PM

Default Question about MicroSD integration

I'd like to get a new MP3 player and I've narrowed down my choices to the Clip+. Though I'm on the fence about whether to get the 8GB version or 4GB version with a MicroSD card.

I'm interested in primarily browsing by folder. Does music from the SD card integrate into that option? Like I could put folders of music on the SD card and they'll show up with the ones I put on the internal memory?

And is there any extra lag from loading songs from the SD card as opposed to the internal memory? Like does it take a little longer for your list of songs to appear and for songs to start playing after selecting them?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-22-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zag View Post
I'd like to get a new MP3 player and I've narrowed down my choices to the Clip+. Though I'm on the fence about whether to get the 8GB version or 4GB version with a MicroSD card.
If you can afford the 8GB I'd go with it, later you'll wish you had the extra 4GB's.

Quote:
I'm interested in primarily browsing by folder. Does music from the SD card integrate into that option? Like I could put folders of music on the SD card and they'll show up with the ones I put on the internal memory?
Yes.

Quote:
And is there any extra lag from loading songs from the SD card as opposed to the internal memory? Like does it take a little longer for your list of songs to appear and for songs to start playing after selecting them?
No start playing lag or file lists either, refreshing db on larger cards takes longer after you've changed out tunes or for first db refresh. If you run rockbox it's db refresh is way faster than the OF.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 05-22-2011, 08:57 PM

Sounds good. Thanks for the quick reply!

I may spring for the 8GB version. Though it's about $15 more on Amazon. I was thinking maybe that money would be better spent towards a microSD card. Though I don't have too big of a music collection; the 8GB alone may suffice.

I also had another question. How is the Clip+'s bass output? I prefer listening to music with a fairly heavy bass. I had a 2nd generation iPod Nano for a while and I found the sound quality to be too sharp and flat and none of the equalizer presets satisfied me. Can the Clip+ produce a heavy bass? And if it can't, I assume this is something else Rockbox can do? I just use a pair of PortaPros if that matters.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

I also had another question. How is the Clip+'s bass output? I prefer listening to music with a fairly heavy bass. I had a 2nd generation iPod Nano for a while and I found the sound quality to be too sharp and flat and none of the equalizer presets satisfied me. Can the Clip+ produce a heavy bass? And if it can't, I assume this is something else Rockbox can do? I just use a pair of PortaPros if that matters.
If you Rockbox it with Portapros, you can get more than enough bass. I like the balance of sound it makes with the Portapros with no EQ, actually....but if you like it heavy, the excellent Rockbox EQ can serve the purpose just fine.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
For your quest for good bass output, concentrate on the phones and not the DAP selection. And as for the EQ presets of the iPod Nano, they outright suck. The only iPodEQ presets that are halfway decent are with the most current iPod Touch firmware. Any other than that, you're better off without it.

Last edited by musichound; 05-23-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:44 PM

Question about micro CD of Sansa clip+
I can copy and drop any album from my PC to Sansa Clip but when I'm trying to drop any album on micro CD I getting message that I have no permission to do it. May be I do not know something?

Old 11-28-2011, 12:12 PM

Update time. I got a refurbished 4GB Clip+ for around $20 on BeDeals and overall I'm very pleased with it.

I just got an 8GB microSD card, but the files don't exactly mesh like I'd want. It separates the files on the SD card from the files on the internal memory, whereas I would like them to combine into a single list of folders. Can Rockbox do this? I don't really see a way around it unless I move everything from the internal memory to the SD card.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Theres no way to show them as a single list of folders (since the SD card and internal memory are separate file systems). You can merge them with the database though.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Update time. I got a refurbished 4GB Clip+ for around $20 on BeDeals and overall I'm very pleased with it.

I just got an 8GB microSD card, but the files don't exactly mesh like I'd want. It separates the files on the SD card from the files on the internal memory, whereas I would like them to combine into a single list of folders. Can Rockbox do this? I don't really see a way around it unless I move everything from the internal memory to the SD card.
If you want to browse by folder, you'll have to deal with the separation. Use the database if you want integration...and that applies to Rockbox as well.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:00 PM

Alright, thanks. It's a little inconvenient but I suppose I can get used to it.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Not quite sure why it's inconvenient--you get both worlds/systems to choose from.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:02 PM

Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Theres no way to show them as a single list of folders (since the SD card and internal memory are separate file systems). You can merge them with the database though.
I'm in the process of researching the Sansa. I'm not particularly tech savvy. What do you mean by merging them with the database?

Thanks

Old 06-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Administrator

You can view the contents of both memories when using the database to browse on the player. When you view them from a PC they will still be viewed as different drives.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeMee View Post
... What do you mean by merging them with the database?
He means the way you view the contents, I have circled on the main menu the two ways below, either via files or database browser. You can read more about the file browser here or the database browser here.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Since this question isn't in the Rockbox forum, I want to mention that a similar situation applies in the Original Firmware as well.

1) Files can be accessed by location using Folder browsing

2) Files can be accessed by the imbedded mp3 tags using the database. EG all songs by "Fleetwood Mac" regardless of location (ie internal memory or microSD card). Or all "Rock" songs.

Also...MeeMee..please note my signature.

Steve