android
Old 06-06-2012, 11:35 AM

Hi All,

I am looking at buying my first 'real' headphones for what I am willing to spend on them; $150-200.

I tried the IRC and received some links to here on how to post a recommendation request, so here it goes:
  • Budget: $150 - 200 soft limit, so I could go up if needed, but the general idea is around this.
  • Location: New York, USA - for a month though, so I need to act quick, I won't get as many chances of this much availability.
  • Category: full size headphones
  • Closed Style: But I think I prefer a wide stage; hard to mix closed and wide? The reason for closed is so that I don't disturb others and that I don't hear them while working. I think my sound preference would best match open style though.
  • Circumaural
  • Primary location of use: Indoor home/office/desk, not portable not at the gym
  • Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: As I said I think I like a wide stage. I like to have rich mids and highs, bass needs to be bass though, not too much, but Seven Nation Army still has to sound like Seven Nation Army if you know what I mean. 'Rich across the sound spectrum?', I like a good vocal song too like 'You've got the Love'. I like that sensation that you hear instruments or details that you haven't heard in the same recording before.
  • Media: Music mostly, some dance, some guitar, some classical, Bob Dylan, Bon Iver, Coldplay, Cafe del Mar, Lana Del Rey, White Stripes. Very diverse I think.
  • Source: Computer / Logitech Z5500 speaker set's home base, I am open to tips on this too. And on the go/office a MacBook Pro (sadly it has some static).
Any tips and recommendations would be great.

Does anyone know any stores other than B&H where you can go check out cans and try them on? Any tips on bringing my own source to play from and what I should make sure to look for?

I have looked at the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, but B&H does not have them in stock right now. I have also looked at the Denon AH-D1100, I like the design OK, but prefer Beyerdynamic.

Thanks!

On a side note, I have tried on the Audio-Technica ATH M50, but I don't think they are $160 good. Just to give you an impression.

Last edited by skip252; 06-06-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: posts merged, please edit consecutive posts instead of multiposting

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

I just spent a quality weekend with the AKG K 271 MK II and really liked them. I don't own them (yet!) but I would definitely look into them from your use description.

The versatility across multiple genres was surprising as was the soundstage for a closed headphone. I didn't have enough time to really EQ them but I found a simple equal loudness contour EQ made them sound good to my ears.

Looking at them on the B&H site they're right at the top of your price range. I don't think I'd get them for that. The prices I see on Amazon, ~$140 are more what I would think they are worth.

This is to let you know I think they're worth considering, not a strong recommendation. I realize that I may be dealing with "new toy" syndrome so I can't say they are the best available. I would need more time with them but they impressed the heck out of me over the 20 hours or so I listened to them.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the tip skip252. I will definitely look into them. I haven't heard of AKG as far as I know, but then again, I am new at 'this'. They look good though, which also plays a role, last priority though.

As goes for getting them cheaper elsewhere; that might be a good idea. The reason I mentioned B&H was mostly because I have the chance to try some of them out there, they have some models on display so you can listen to them. Also, they have a 30 day return policy that, as far as I know, is no questions asked full money back.

The last part is especially good because I'd get a chance to return them if they weren't to my taste. If that is worth the $60 is another question though.

Do you have any other headphones that you have liked in the past maybe?

Thanks.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:21 PM

I just went to B&H and listened to some high end stuff ($900-$1500) and compared that to the Denons and I was happily surprised, even compared to the high end stuff. I like the design as well.

I also wanted to have a look (listen) to the Ultrasone HFI-780, but they were broken. The store clerk will have them replaced so I can listen to them tomorrow though, great service! But I got to listen to the HFI-580 and those sounded very good, so I am interested in checking the 780 out tomorrow. They probably won't be burned in though.

Either way, I am of course still very interested in suggestions. And maybe some New Yorkers know of another store where I can go try some things out?

p.s. Strangely enough B&H sells items for a different price in their store than they do online, the difference is around $50 off!

Old 06-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

In NYC, aside from B&H there is J&R(their main downtown store, not their tiny store at Macy's) and Sony Style where you can listen to headphones.
There is a Guitar Center store on 14th ST. between 5th and 6th Avenue. You might be able to listen to some headphones there.
Also try Sam Ash 160 West 48th Street.

http://www.jr.com/information/directions.jsp

http://nymag.com/listings/stores/sony_style/

Last edited by JK98; 06-06-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Redneck Moderator

Try out the ATH-M50 if you see any. I like them better than the HFI-780's.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 06-06-2012, 10:16 PM

@jk98 - thanks for the locations! I will have a look at them tomorrow, never boring to walk around union square.

@Syndrome - My boss has the ATH-M50 and I have spent a few hours with them on, but they have failed to impress me for that price. I will try out the HFI-780's tomorrow and see if I like those, I really liked the 580's.

I still really want to try the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro I have read many good things. I hope I find a place where I can try them out.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:06 AM

Just an update

I went to Guitar Center, thanks for that jk98, and tried the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro and wanted to buy them then and there. They have the clarity of some of the other ones that I tried and the bass is just as I want it. the ATH-M50 and HFI-780 were a bit lacking in the bass department, the Denon's were easily better, but too punchy too my taste, but if the DT 770 had disappointed I would have gone with them.

The DT 770 Pro had great clarity and a nice stage and the bass is incredible. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Guitar Center claims to match internet pricing. See if they will match the prices on Amazon, or other websites if you find it cheaper than Amazon. You could do a Google shopping search for prices. Some smaller dealers might not be legitimate, but they should hopefully at least be willing to match Amazon's prices.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Wow!!! I gotta swap my DT770 250ohm for the 80ohm model!!! Thanks for the reminder,...

Old 06-12-2012, 10:22 AM

I just received the DT770 Pro 80ohms, I will let you guys know what I think! Thanks for all the help.

Any tips on burning them in properly?

Old 06-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosselman View Post
I just received the DT770 Pro 80ohms, I will let you guys know what I think! Thanks for all the help.

Just listen to them.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosselman View Post

Congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Just listen to them.
Marvin's right IMO, just enjoy them with the music you normally listen to and over time you will end up liking them more. Besides any driver flex or loosing up will develop over time naturally and you will develop brain burn in as well, so just enjoy them ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 06-12-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:11 PM

@Marvin the Martian and @WalkGood

Haha probably the best way yes . I just read somewhere that you shouldn't run them on full power all the time, but I guess that is a good general tip anyway .

Tags
amplifier, beginner, headphone, recommend, tips